Thread: new waxy monkey tree frog question

kmf58

Unhappy new waxy monkey tree frog question

I just purchased 2 waxys within the last 10 days. My first one is thriving well (from the git-go), eating tons of crickets, not hiding alot & is a bright lime green color. I first purchase him & decided I wanted to get another so 3 days later I got the second. I have had him now for a week and he stays hidden most of the time (even at night with the red bulb on) & is staying a brownish color. He's eating daily small crickets (I hand feed them both with tweezers) but is just not as active as the other. I've seen him in the water bowl a few times so I know he's staying hydrated. All other conditions are as they should be based on the reading I did prior to getting them. Is this anything to worry about or should I give it more time? I have another week before I can't return him & am seriously thinking of getting a different one. BTW they both came from the same place...same tank even. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new waxy monkey tree frog question

Give a full run down on the setup please. Pics will also help.

From what you say, it doesn't sound to bad. As long as hes eating then I don't really see a problem one being more active then the other is normal. The newer one could just be stressed and taking longer to get use to its new enclosure.

kmf58

Thanks for the reply, Daniel...actually he came out of his hidey hole last night & sat on a branch & got in his bath & seemed to have a greener color so hopefully it's just that he is getting adjusted to his new home. I guess I'm just a new froggy mama worrying too much about her "kids"!!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

kml welcome to the forum!
    i'm saying do not panic, but only because panicking wont help much anyway sorry I'm not around much lately, not enough hours in a day, crazy poison now is a pro in all things waxy, I'm sure he'll cover your questions or i might if I'm around
    anyhow, what you describe doesn't sounds too good - brown color, hiding.
    let's start with what kind of waxy do you have? i have a suspicion you have sauvagii, the two that I wanted to get, but had to go under full scale quarantine for my herps, long story

please post pictures of the both frogs and their current enclosure, as well as post your answers to "trouble in the enclosure" questions. it is important! with waxies things can go downhill fast, I'm not saying that is what is gonna happen, but i wanna be sure as I'm sure you wanna do it too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    poison now is a pro in all things waxy, I'm sure he'll cover your questions or i might if I'm around
    Got that right! I've had a waxy for almost a month lol.

I don't feel confident in giving advise on how to care for waxy's just yet (Other then the obvious).

kmf58

Lija, thanks for the reply. I will attach photos of my set up. The photo of the two frogs side by side on the glass was taken this morning. I think they both are doing well at this point. The little one (not sure what sex they both are so maybe someone can help me with that!) is coming out more & has more of a green color rather than brown. He even tried to croak a little this morning so hopefully he was just getting used to his new home. Anyway, I'm planning on getting rid of the coconut fiber substrate to something they can't injest so in the meantime I have been hand feeding them with tongs to avoid them eating the substrate. I'm also planning on getting a bigger cage in the near future. Gonna get a 18x18x24 exo terra. Will continue to monitor them closely to make sure they are doing fine.Attachment 57581Attachment 57582Attachment 57583Attachment 57584

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi, these are not waxy's these a whites tree frogs. Turning brown is 100% normal for them to do. Depends on the time of day.

Eating small ammounts of eco earth is harmless. But I would ditch that moss.

kmf58

Whoops! I'm new to the frog world so not real familar with all the species! That was how they were labeled at the pet store! Thanks for the info...I feel like a dummy! I'll now go do some reading on their culture to see if I need to change anything since I have everything set up for a waxy!!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol that is the first to label whites as waxies lol anyhow mystery is solved! I'm so glad! care requirements are very very much different for waxies and whites, keeping waxies like whites will kill them and vise verse. for 2 whites 18x18x24 is too small, they're big frogs
    check the info here on a forum, care sheet, ask as many questions as you need/want, a lot of people know whites around here.

Daniel - to keep waxy happy for a month - you can consider yourself close to a pro no way to do it unless your husbandry is perfect and incorrect husbandry is a reason of 90% ( if not more) of waxies problems in captivity.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information