Thread: Question about baby WTF

mini990701

Default Question about baby WTF

I have had my baby Whites Tree Frog for a couple days now, and i was wondering if there was anything wrong with her. She used to be all over the reptile vine and the fake plants that were in her terrarium. She is in a 10 gallon fish tank for the moment and i will switch her to my 33 gallon when she gets bigger. The humidity of the tank is normally at 65-80% and the temperature is almost always 80 degrees. I dust her small size crickets every other day. Today she was sitting on the bottom of her tank. She still moves around and jumps to her vines occasionally, but most of the time, she is in her yogurt cup den or in the corner. I have not seen her poop, yet. Maybe it is in her water dish that I clean out everyday. There is always stuff that looks like her coco fiber substrate in it. There is not a lot, but a little. She is about one or one and a half inches. She eats perfectly fine. I really cant tell if she is bloated or not...her belly is not really big, but I think it is bigger than a few days ago. She is by herself in her tank. I mist 2-3 times a day. My mom wont let me buy a heat source, so I have to use my book light as a light source. She also won't take any of my pets to the vet. Even if they are dying. I use pure water that has absolutely nothing in it. My mom is a chemist, so she has access to the water purifier at her lab. Is anything wrong with my baby??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mini990701

Default Re: Question about baby WTF

Poop...

mini990701

Plz answer! Im starting to get concerned...situation hasn't changed though! Except that she moves less but still hunts for crickets! Her skin has turned a very slightly brown...what does that mean?!?! :'(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi mini,

Your frog is very pretty. I believe the problem is the water. Purified water is not recommended. If it is distilled water it has no minerals in it and if it is purified bottled water it could have chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals in it, all of which are toxic to them.

Switch to spring water or use tap water than is treated with dechlorinating drops.

It sounds as though she is stressed out and perhaps lethargic from the chemicals in the water or if distilled water, her electrolytes may have been drawn out of her into the water.

Do you happen to have any plain, clear, non flavored pedialyte at home or can you get some? If yes, do a 1 part pedialyte (plain) to 10 parts spring water or dechlorinated water mix and soak her in her water bowl for 15 to 20 minutes. This will help to detoxify her if needed and the pedialyte will help to replace some lost electrolytes.

If not, do a spring water soak or dechlorinated water soak.

Do you also use a reptile/amphibian multivitamin powder once a week on her food?

Heather

Give her a
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You're frog looks beautiful! Great color and does not look bloated. He could be stressed out from being in a new place. It can take a few weeks for it to adjust. It's always best to cover up 3 sides of his tank to make him feel more safe. It's good that he is still eating and don't stress about poop, they could go a few days without pooping. The specks in your water bowl are just that, specks of substrate. I'm still trying to get pictures of frog poop in water, my frogs usually go in their water, except for this week when I want to take a photo of it!

Your humidity and temperature sound good. I would try to get him in a tank that is taller ASAP. They are tree frogs so they LOVE to climb and not being able to get up high could stress them out too.

I don't know for sure what "pure" water is. It's best to use spring water, or dechlorinated water for soaking. You can use regular tap water if you put it in a jug and leave it open for a few days. Do not use distilled water for soaking. Distilled water will leach nutrients from your frog. Just on the safe side I would also take the marbles out of his water so he doesn't accidently swallow one.

I also don't want to start a huge argument but PLEASE try to make your mom realize that if she is going to allow you to have pets, that she also has to take some responsibility for the care of these animals.

Check out the tree frog care sheet for more info: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

mini990701

Yes I do! And i could get some pedialyte on Monday! I use the zoo med repti calcium powder!

mini990701

Is there anything else i could use before i get the pedialyte? I dont want anything to happen to her in the meantime! Could i use tap water that has sat in a Brita Filter Pitcher for a while?

mini990701

Her skin has changed back to its bright green color! I don't have pedialyte tonight, but i found a recipe for homemade pedialyte. Is it safe?

4 cups dechlorinated water
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3 tablespoons sugar or honey
    1/2 teaspoon salt

I also found fish dechlorination drops! It is tetra aqua brand! Can i use this?
    Last edited by mini990701; July 27th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.

mini990701

She is pooping, more active, jumpy, and more happy once i changed her water! One more question, why is her tailbone so prominent? Is it because she is too skinny?

Thread Information