Thread: red eye tree frogs

Tree frog maniac

Default red eye tree frogs

so today I went to a local pet store to perches psegnum moss if that's how u spell it) and I placed it all over my red eyed tank I patted it down so that the crickets wouldn't get under it (small crickets) can someone please tell me if crickets will or will not go under it according to your experiences

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, they will actually. I am honestly not a fan of loose moss. Live growing sheet moss is okay because there are no loose pieces that can accidentally be ingested while grabbing their crickets. Moss can cause intestinal impaction and death. A safer substrate is coconut fiber (not husk), such as Eco Earth.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Tree frog maniac

Default Re: red eye tree frogs

oh no I have already placed the moss on the substrate but heres what im thinking if the reds digest it its all natural moss so I thought it would have been fine aswell as I placed a small container in the terrarium which small crickets can not get out off so when the frogs find the container that I had burryed in the ground (not the top) they will eat. this is what im hopping

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes, I too use the feeding bowl method. The frogs, unfortunately cannot digest the moss and it binds up in their intestines. But, the feeding bowl method works great . And, no loose crickets to bite the frogs .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Tree frog maniac

I haven't had any trouble I have noticed that all my frogs are smart when they ingest moss or substrate they pull it out with there pads its kinda cool or if I ever see a pice in there mouth I will usually pull it out my self

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tree frog maniac View Post
    I haven't had any trouble I have noticed that all my frogs are smart when they ingest moss or substrate they pull it out with there pads its kinda cool or if I ever see a pice in there mouth I will usually pull it out my self
    Yes, the frogs are pretty smart...and you can take it out if they bite onto some moss (but you can't watch them 24/7). you really should consider their safety and take the moss out. You do not want to deal with an impaction. Listen to Heather, she knows what she's talking about.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thread Information