Thread: Trying to pick a tree frog species- suggestions?

Soli

Default Trying to pick a tree frog species- suggestions?

Hello, I'm new to the frog world and I'm trying to pick my first frog. First I was leaning towards a terrestrial, but now I'm leaning towards some sort of tree frog. I was planning on catching a grey tree frog, but I probably won't be able to so I'm looking at other options
    I would like one that is bigger than a green tree frog, but smaller than a dumpy. I was thinking maybe an Amazon milk frog or a peacock tree frog. Looking for more suggestions too

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Trying to pick a tree frog species- suggestions?

How about a Barking Treefrog, Hyla gratiosa?

Tubby0512

Grey Tree Frog!! They are the best and hardy frog. And great as a pet. Mine is soooo friendly. Very social frogs. I have 3 now (Tubby-1 years old, Slimmer-10 days old, and Psycho-8 days old). I also have more on the way.

Soli

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    How about a Barking Treefrog, Hyla gratiosa?
    They seem interesting, how big do they get? And are they good for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby0512 View Post
    Grey Tree Frog!! They are the best and hardy frog. And great as a pet. Mine is soooo friendly. Very social frogs. I have 3 now (Tubby-1 years old, Slimmer-10 days old, and Psycho-8 days old). I also have more on the way.
    I really would like a grey tree frog, but the problem is I would have to catch one (they are illegal to sell in Ohio) and I haven't had any luck so far. Where did you get yours?

Cypress

I agree with Jessica. Grays are great! I'm sorry you've been unable to locate one. You can't buy then where I live either. I wish I'd been able to get captive bred, but since I couldn't I caught mine. Do you know what they sound like? If not, check online. Familiarize yourself with their call. After a decent rain, go out around dusk. Listen for them. If you hear them, follow their call. I caught mine in my backyard/pasture near a wet weather creek. That works for the males. I wish I could find a female or two that way. I would like to breed them, keeping some and releasing the others. Which is also not completely legal in my area, but only if I get caught. Good luck!

Soli

Smile Re: Trying to pick a tree frog species- suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I agree with Jessica. Grays are great! I'm sorry you've been unable to locate one. You can't buy then where I live either. I wish I'd been able to get captive bred, but since I couldn't I caught mine. Do you know what they sound like? If not, check online. Familiarize yourself with their call. After a decent rain, go out around dusk. Listen for them. If you hear them, follow their call. I caught mine in my backyard/pasture near a wet weather creek. That works for the males. I wish I could find a female or two that way. I would like to breed them, keeping some and releasing the others. Which is also not completely legal in my area, but only if I get caught. Good luck!
    My neighbor gave me a female last year and I'm kicking myself for releasing it. I did hear them calling a few nights ago, but none were calling from my property. I did follow one call and was feet away from the frog, but no matter how hard I looked I could not find the exact spot (I think he was in a bush). Hoping it rains again soon
    I have two people looking out for them for me too! Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by Soli View Post
    They can get over 2.5". I've never kept them, but I understand they are pretty similar in care to the very hardy Gray Treefrogs. They're next on my list of frogs I want.

If you do set out to acquire some Grays in the wild, I would suggest you get them as young as possible and preferably don't remove breeding age adults from the wild populations. Find where they are breeding and go back in the day to look for tadpoles. A week or two after a major breeding event (lots of calling) is a good time to look for tadpoles. Be sure to check with your states laws about collecting.

Soli

They can get over 2.5". I've never kept them, but I understand they are pretty similar in care to the very hardy Gray Treefrogs. They're next on my list of frogs I want.

If you do set out to acquire some Grays in the wild, I would suggest you get them as young as possible and preferably don't remove breeding age adults from the wild populations. Find where they are breeding and go back in the day to look for tadpoles. A week or two after a major breeding event (lots of calling) is a good time to look for tadpoles. Be sure to check with your states laws about collecting.
    According to my state laws I can own up to 4 grey tree frogs, and up to 25 tadpoles. I found a place that is selling grey tree frog tadpoles and I was thinking about just getting 1 or two tads. I am worried about having tadpoles though, are they difficult to care for? Aquatic animals are not really my thing at all.

oneilsfrogs

According to my state laws I can own up to 4 grey tree frogs, and up to 25 tadpoles. I found a place that is selling grey tree frog tadpoles and I was thinking about just getting 1 or two tads. I am worried about having tadpoles though, are they difficult to care for? Aquatic animals are not really my thing at all.
    I collected 12 from my pool on July 4th and have been watching them grow since. This past week has been the most interesting as they have begun turning into froglets. It isn't that hard to care for the tadpoles...I fed them a pinch of baby fish food every day and when the water started getting cloudy or really messy I used a net to fish them out into new water and cleaned the small betta tank I have been keeping them in. I have a stick in there so in case I miss them getting their front legs they can climb out. It's like a fish tank really. It's when they get their front legs that are the hardest part. I am still learning what to do as mine are just now in that stage. I lost one that was out of the water to drowning last night but other than that follow the care sheets....at least thats what I am doing.

I am worried about having tadpoles though, are they difficult to care for?
    Not really that difficult and they don't stay aquatic for long. There are details in the care sheet Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding and plenty of people here to answer any questions

Soli

Not really that difficult and they don't stay aquatic for long. There are details in the care sheet Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding and plenty of people here to answer any questions
    Thanks! One more question, do you think it would be possible if I did raise them, for them to reach a size where I can sex them before summer ends? I am wanting a female because I think the males' calling might be too loud at night (It would be kept in my room). So, if I did get some tadpoles I'd probably keep the female and release the rest.

One more question, do you think it would be possible if I did raise them, for them to reach a size where I can sex them before summer ends?
    They'll be too young to sex at the end of summer. Males may attempt pretty feeble calls at a young age, but that's not something that can be counted on.

Soli

Hey guys, just wanted to say I found one today! It's a baby too, about the size of a nickel. Thanks for your help guys

Tubby0512

I really would like a grey tree frog, but the problem is I would have to catch one (they are illegal to sell in Ohio) and I haven't had any luck so far. Where did you get yours?
    Well I rescued all of mine from my pool. Got them all as eggs and raised them. I'm hoping for a female. You want to find a grey Tree Frog, go to anyone's house with a pool. For some strange reasons they LOVE pools. Try there.

AmphibianAwesomeness

Whites tree frogs are THE BEST tree frogs!

Tubby0512

Quote Originally Posted by AmphibianAwesomeness View Post
    Whites tree frogs are THE BEST tree frogs!
    Grey's are the best!! :P

Soli

Here's the baby grey tree frog I found on a tree last week!

Tubby0512

Aww he is cute. I own three. 1 year old male and 2 babies that aren't a month old yet, gender unknown at the moment

Thread Information