Thread: New dumpy rescue

Default New dumpy rescue

At least it seems like a rescue to me. The poor frog is on the thin side(the lady said she fed 12 crickets once a week or so) and is in a 10 gallon aquarium with fish aquarium decor!... I converted it where its taller rather then short and got rid of the fish decor... So needless to say, its pretty bare in there until I can get out(hopefully tomorrow after work, if not then, def friday) to get more stuff.. Im saving up to get it a exo terra as well. Poor thing is crammed in a 10 gallon for now ... The lady said shes had him/her for about a year now, so its probably over a year old.... Any advice on care would be greatly appreciated. Ive never had dumpys before, just pacs... And this was just brought onto me today.. Please dont scold me, I wanna try to right everything the poor thing has went through

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New dumpy rescue

He/she seems a bit lethargic and spent all of last night on the floor of the cage. She may be stressed from the car ride and changes. Does anything she looks ok from the pictures? Other then being on the thin side. Im just worried about possible MBD

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think from the pictures, she looks skinny because of the way she's sitting with her body flattened out. She does have a good sized fat roll over her ear so I don't think she's too skinny. I think 12 or so crickets a week for an adult frog is okay if they are bigger sized crickets and the frog is fed every other day or so. I was thinking possible MBD too because she looks like some resorption in the lower jaw. In the one picture her legs and belly look real pink, is it always like that or is it just from her climbing on the decor?

Here is the link to the care sheet for whites in case you haven't already looked it up : Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea

It would always be best to have her looked at by a vet and have a fecal sample tested. The vet can check for parasites and if the frog is big enough they can do a blood test and check for any deficiencies. In the mean time I would try a Pedialite soak. I think it's one part Pedialite to 10 parts warm water for 30 minutes. That should perk her up a bit. She could be a little stressed too from the move. So cover 3 sides of the tank with paper to make her more comfortable. Make sure when you feed her, the crickets are dusted real good with calcium plus D3.

Hopefully you can get it in a more permanent home soon. You'll need a heat light and a digital thermometer that can monitor heat and humidity. Also make sure the water you are using is spring water or dechlorinated tap water, that's real important.

Sorry I haven't had much experience with serious diseases with my white's so I can't really be of too much help in that department. Hopefully some more people will start chiming in.
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Ill get the stuff to soak her when i get off work. I have a heat pad and a heat lamp on her but its only making it around 80 degrees. Im at work at the moment. Shes such a beautiful frog and im hoping there isnt anything wrong with her and hoping its just stress from the move

Nationality
    [United States]

80 degrees is good, you don't want higher than that actually a couple degrees lower would be perfect.

When you soak her use like a 4 cup bowl with a lid on it that you can poke holes in for air. Fill the bowl with only enough water that would go up to her chin. She's not going to want to sit in the water she'll want to climb the sides. If the bowl is small enough she can sit on the wall with some of her body still in the water.

Really? Ive been told 85. But its at 79 right now(called my hubby and made him check lol) and ill pick up a container too. Ill update later tonight after a good soak and attempting to fees her. Im gonna pick up crickets and earth worms

Well sadly i think she does have mbd... her bottom half seems weak....

and to make it worse i think she has red leg disease

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Dumpys def. do Not sit in a posture like that ...i think MBD is a possibility. Red leg though? Why make that diagnosis?

I was looking at pictures online of red leg and her back legs seemed red underneath, but double checking, I am almost positive it was just the lighting because I checked today and it is gone.. Thank goodness!! Poor thing.. Her back legs seem a little "rubbery" so im 100% positive it is MBD... There isnt a whole lot you can do about that is there? I think in her case, more flooring would be better rather then heighth... She dosnt leave the floor of the cage as she can only pretty much crawl... She seems pretty stressed too

Nationality
    [United States]

I think MBD can be cured if it's caught really early. Poor baby, whites are such a sweet little frog.

Well sadly she passed away sometime this afternoon

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I highly recommend you do a biopsy through your local exotic vet. It is usually free of charge and you can teach this to other people so we can narrow down the cause of death. Can you please do that for us?

mini990701

Default New dumpy rescue

Awww im so sorry for your loss!!! :'(

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry. It was very good of you to take this frog in and try to nurse it back to health. Whites are very sweet and hearty frogs, don't let this loss discourage you from getting another one in the future.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New dumpy rescue

I'm sorry she didn't make it for you. I'm glad you tried for her. Hugs!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Yeah all I can say is I tried. Its upsetting I couldnt save her though

ICFrogs

I'm So Sorry for Your Loss

It's painful to lose a Loved Froggy!

Thread Information