Thread: hides?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default hides?

I am having trouble finding good hides for my ACF, he is clearly uncomfortable in his tank and hides under the filter, I need to get something immediately and was wondering what you may recommend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: hides?

I bought a 10 dollar ceramic log the ACF I'm currently keeping in a 10 gallon until he's large enough to not get eaten by the large ACF I keep.

He prefers to hide behind the Whisper 10i filter I keep in the tank and never uses the log. I think when they're young frogs they just like to jam themselves behind objects to feel secure.

I wouldn't worry about it, he'll get too large to fit behind the filter eventually. All my frogs did this when they were small.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thats good to know, I do have another hide and he never uses it. I will probably buy a log eventually and he will get upgraded when I have room for another 20 long.

He will come around though right? He won't always be terrified of everything that moves.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
    Thats good to know, I do have another hide and he never uses it. I will probably buy a log eventually and he will get upgraded when I have room for another 20 long.

He will come around though right? He won't always be terrified of everything that moves.
    They are less so as they get older, but sudden changes in light, noise, or movement can and will startle them.

They are rather skittish animals overall, however.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I hope he does come around ... This is pretty ridiculous ... All the videos I watched before I got him ( I did lots of other research too ) were these ACF just happy in their tanks and eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Most videos are ACF during feeding times when they perk up and swim around looking for food.

While they are fairly active for amphibians but they still do a great deal of hiding and sitting in one spot, as most frogs do.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The activity does not bother me ... I have an axie as well and man she is lazy but I love her , She even swims up and greets me

I have not even seen Ninja since I put him in the tank really, I am hoping that it will be a case like natsu where he will grow out of it but even feeding time doesnt perk up my little one.

Nationality
    [United States]

They're not very exciting when they're little, they're more comical and active when they're adults. When I first got my frogs over a year ago they were all small and I thought they were kind of boring, after 6 months or so they seem a lot more adventurous and active.

My 1 inch juvenile african clawed frog spends 90% of the day jammed behind a whisper filter, he just likes it there. He comes out to eat, he swims around a bit, then he's back behind the filter again.

I think lighting may play a role too. When my LED Strip is on full brightness / full spectrum they don't come out as much. They are diurnal in nature. During the day my adult frogs some times bask under the lights, they also like their cave so I find them in there often, but more often than not, they hide in the jungle vallisneria. I've noticed that my frogs are most active in the early morning and in the evening (I have a really cool LED strip that simulates dawn and dusk lighting conditions too). At night I keep the moonlights on very dimly until I go to bed, then I turn them off. They seem to almost always bask in floating plants with their nose/eyes above the waterline at night time, I assume this is when they are sleeping.

Obviously during feeding time they're incredibly active and will continue to scramble to locate food even long after you're done feeding them. Opening the glass lid on my tank (while I am in the room to make sure they don't jump out) seems to make them more active too, they probably are just expecting to get fed but I often do this to just let the tank get some fresh air.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I can be patient It takes a while for babies to come around.

I am still going to invest in some good hides ... And other decor? Any recommendation?

Thread Information