Thread: feeding mice?

annawolv1010

Default feeding mice?

My pixie frog is about 4in and 4 months old is it fine to feed him a mouse, if so what size?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: feeding mice?

A fuzzy should be fine, a small hopper would work good too, and it would be better to have it pre killed before feeding.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Mine is 4inches now and I have fed him pinkies before. I'm sure he could handle a full grown one but I don't ant to risk anything so like SCF said give him fuzzies.

demon amphibians

They can handle a full grown mouse at that size but besides the risk of the mouse injuring the frog, nutritionally it is not good to feed that size of mouse to that size of frog. Now if your pixie was 8" vent to snout it would be fine. But it just has to much fat, protien and fur for a 4" frog. A small hopper might be ok but like SCF said you might wanna kill it before you feed. I used to hold the mouse down while my frog attacked its head but that is not a good idea i got bit a lot by the frog and I will tell you what you dont wont to get bit by these guys. PM me if you want good methods on killing the mouse before you feed. It is a little graphic to post on a thread.

Rat pinkies get pretty good size, and it cant hurt the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Rat pinkies get pretty good size, and it cant hurt the frog.
    I would go with a hopper mouse rather then a rat pup. The bone development in a hopper is much more then that of a rat pup or pinkie mouse. Making them more nutritious and not as fatty.

demon amphibians

I concur with poison. It is said that pinkies and rat pups can cause a calcium defiency in your frog. I dont know how true that is but some pretty knowledgable people have been preeching this.

I'm no pyxie guy (not yet anyways). I feed my pacman frog a mouse rarely once a month at max for a treat. I fed my frog a fuzzy last month and he got the rat this month. I figured it would be easier to digest than a fuzzy or hopper due to not having hair. Guess ill use a hopper next month.

demon amphibians

That is good. once a month is just about right for rodents. I would rather work with rat pups due to the fact that they are easy prey. i mean hopper mice are really fast, they are faster then adult mice. I dont see anything wrong with a varity honestly. I don't think a rat pup once every other month would be bad. It is just when they are fed frequently problems arise. Nothing wrong with being too causious but i personnally would do it if it is more convienient and eaisier for your frog to catch. Then when the frog starts to get a little fat i would lay of rodents all together for a while. But as you already said you are feeding once a month at max. What you are doing is just fine. But like stated before a hopper mouse will have better nutrion.

Thread Information