Thread: Planning out new FBT setup 55g

rawB

Default Planning out new FBT setup 55g

Alright, so I have a 55 gallon tank, (4feet long 12 inches wide) and I've always kept fish in it. So as you can probably guess the tank is mostly equipped for fish, which includes the heater, 2 pretty strong HOB filters etc.

Hey everyone, so glad I found this forum, it's helped answer so many of my questions. However I just have a few more personalized questions I'd like some help with regarding my future setup.

Now my project is to transform this tank from a fish tank to a FBT tank. I really just have a few questions regarding that, as I've been researching them a lot.

1.How many fire bellied toads can I keep in this tank? I'm not looking to have a crazy amount of them or anything, I'd just like to know what you guys think would be a good amount for a tank this size.

2. Water changes - I'm assuming I wont be able to use either of my HOB filters, as they are pretty heavy duty filters and move about 350 gallons of water per hour each :\. So I'll probably buy a sponge filter or something better fit for FBTs. My second question is, with proper filtration are water changes still needed? If so how often? I'm assuming far less than the bi-weekly water changes I was used to with fish. Also what do most of you guys recommend for filtration? I'm really trying to find something that's easily hidden behind decorations, since I really prefer a more natural look.

3. The lid - I have the basic aquarium lid setup, you know the plastic lid with the glass slots for lighting. Also has a few open areas for filters etc. Now what I was planning on doing with this was cutting screen out to cover the openings on the lid and just leaving the plastic lid. Would this be a problem at all as far as them getting enough air? Or does the entire lid need to be screen for breathing?

4. Heating - I'm curious if any sort of tank heating is necessary perhaps throughout the winter? I'm not exactly sure how cool the room the tank will be in gets during the winter, but is it a common thing to have some sort of heating in your FBT tanks?

5. Tank size, is there going to be any problems I may run into with my tank size? I've noticed the most popular tank sizes are between 10-20Gallons. Personally I was just thinking they'd enjoy the extra space to move around in, but not sure.

6. Substrate - is sand a bad idea for FBT's? I'm concerned it may be too rough for their skin? Would soil be a better alternative?

Then I just need to find a local pet store that sells these guys :P

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Planning out new FBT setup 55g

1. I would say between 7 and 10 fire-bellies will fit easily into your tank. Perhaps even more.

2. You could use canister filters or submersible filters. The submersible would be harder to hide. I use Marineland Duetto submersible filters in my tanks. I like them because they are adjustable as far as water flow is concerned and the can be hooked up to hoses. A canister filter would be very easy to hide, as only the intake and return would be in the tank. Even with filtration, I would continue to do partial water changes, just like you did with your fish.

3. I would prefer a screen top myself over a modified aquarium top. With a screen top you are less likely to have any escapees, proving the top sits flat on the tank. With a standard screen top you can run the power chord out of a submersible filter out a corner. With a canister you will need to modify the top to allow for the hoses.
    You could always make a top yourself out of Plexiglas. Plexiglas can be cut and drilled so it can me made into a top. Measure the inside dimensions of your aquarium and have a piece of Plexiglas cut to those dimensions. The piece should be able to drop right into the frame of the tank and rest upon its inner lip.
    Now you want to cut a window in the Plexiglas and glue a piece of mesh over it. Drill pilot holes where the corners will be in your window, then use a saber saw to cut the window out. You can also drill holes or notches for hoses and/or power chords. See attached image.
    You will want to stretch some mesh over the window and glue it down with silicone. I did this using a board bigger than the piece I was making. I used a sheer fabric on my tops to prevent fruit fly escape. 1) I taped my frame down to the board, then taped the mesh to the underside of it on two sides. 2) Next I pulled the mesh to the opposite corner and taped it down to the underside. 3 & 4) I then pulled the mesh and secured it to the remaining undersides using tape. You may need to make adjustments to keep it tight. See figure below.
    In the next step, mask off all areas you do not plan on applying glue to. After that apply the silicone. I did this using a surgical glove, pressing the silicone with my finger into the mesh adhering it to the frame. A few hours later the masking can be removed. As you pull the tape up, use a razor to cut any silicone still sticking to it. If some of the mesh pulls up, it not a big deal. Its not fully cured at this point, so you can press it back into place, no problem.
    Now the problem with Plexiglas is that it can bow when exposed to humidity. So you need to fine a way to prevent that. You could glue a some stiff rods to the top to prevent bowing. They could also serve as handles. I would also use the thickest Plexiglas you can get your hands on, as its less likely to bow. I used 1/4 inch plexiglas.

4. Bombina orientalis is a temperate zone animal so room temperature will be fine in most cases. If the room/tank becomes really cold in winter a submersiable heater can be used.

5. You tank size will be fine. The reason you don't see too many 55-gallons being used for fire-bellies is because most people prefer to work with smaller, light-weight enclosures. There is nothing wrong with going bigger.

6. Sand is fine as long as its well below the water line. Soil or even coconut bedding will make a mess in this situation. I would use drift wood that would be emerging up out of the water for resting areas for your toads. Others will have idea for creating "land" in your tank.

Every pet store I go into sells fire-bellies, so there should be no problem getting your hands on some.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

rawB

Thanks so much for such detailed answers Kurt! :]

I just have one last question though, regarding the sand. If I was to do a 60/40 land/water setup would sand be a poor choice as the land substrate?

Kurt

Yes, as it is easily swallowed, possibly causing impaction.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As for "land" It depends on what sort of maintenance you feel like doing!

Creating divided areas of the tank to allow for both water and terrestrial substrates is an easy and inexpensive Do It Yourself project. This is almost a necessity if you plan to include live plants on land.

The basics are described here:http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te....html#post9063

Another method is the "pile of rocks" which is just as easy. Simply pick out some slate from the local garden store and silicone or Gorilla Glue it in place. Add live moss and you are done!. I cheat a bit here and use PVC pipe sections and straight unions to make stable spacers for hides. If I am really bored at work I occasionally craft acrylic "tables" to support stone too. You can also incorporate cork bark and wood this way!

While this enclosure is obviously not for frogs() this was the technique I used for this tank:

(If you look closely, you can see one of my acrylic tables hiding in there.)

Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information