Thread: Reed Frog Paludarium

Scottyhorse

Default Reed Frog Paludarium

Hey guys. I finally picked out a frog species that I would like... The reed frog! I will either go with Heterixalus alboguttatus oorrr Heterixalus madagascariensis.

This will be my first time evar keeping frogs. So I will need lots of advice.. I'm planning on using a 20 Long or 10 gal.. Which would be best?And I want a paludarium.. So how do I go about filtering this thing?

All and any advice is welcomed..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Reed Frog Paludarium

i love the starry nights and hope to build a palu for them soon. my opinion is bigger is always better, it's all about maximizing space. filtration is always the tricky part and depends on your design, skill and budget.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

Hey Bill! I was hoping you would reply!

I am honestly not sure what I want to do design wise, I guess I'll need to think about it a little more.

I've never done anything like this, so my skills are minimal, and I would of course like to spend the least ammount of money.. But I can splurge on a couple items...

So, any ideas?

Scottyhorse

Okay...

So for filtration, couldn't I just use duckweed for in the water? I mean, it grows SO fast, and uses SO much ammonia.. Wouldn't it just use it all up before it would make an impact on the frogs? Plus, it would make the palu look more natural, and it would provide food for my fish. Not to mention it's about the cheapest filtration you can get!!

Now for lighting and heating. I've never had to light terrestrial plants before. Would an aquatic T5HO fixture work, say, 6500k ish? Or what about 2 6500k daylight CFL bulbs? I think they are 28 watts or something close to that. Would a 150 watt infared bulb heat the palu and water ok? The reason I am thinking about going with one of these is because they cost a lot less than a ceramic heat bulb, plus I would be able to view them at night. Do I need a UVB light for these guys?

For substrate I will be using ABG Mix with Josh's Frogs False Bottom, along with leaf litter.

Still coming up with a few designs of the land/water part. So once I get those finished I will post them to get some input.

Scottyhorse

Okay, I am a bit confused on feeding.. I was reading that they will eat any insect, which is good because I can't get access to 1/8 crickets in small amounts. I can catch small moths during the summer. I know wingless fruit flies are a good food, but which type is best? And I was thinking of buying a producing culture from Josh's Frogs. That way I don't need to wait a long time before being able to feed. How long do the cultures last? When do you need to make a new one?

What would be the most cost effective, but also best diet for the reed frogs? Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Here is a care sheet:
    ( you may have seen)

Amphibian Care >> Reed Frog (Afrixalus, Heterixalus, and Hyperolius species)

They are very beautiful frogs !
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
    Okay...

So for filtration, couldn't I just use duckweed for in the water? I mean, it grows SO fast, and uses SO much ammonia.. Wouldn't it just use it all up before it would make an impact on the frogs? Plus, it would make the palu look more natural, and it would provide food for my fish. Not to mention it's about the cheapest filtration you can get!!

Now for lighting and heating. I've never had to light terrestrial plants before. Would an aquatic T5HO fixture work, say, 6500k ish? Or what about 2 6500k daylight CFL bulbs? I think they are 28 watts or something close to that. Would a 150 watt infared bulb heat the palu and water ok? The reason I am thinking about going with one of these is because they cost a lot less than a ceramic heat bulb, plus I would be able to view them at night. Do I need a UVB light for these guys?

For substrate I will be using ABG Mix with Josh's Frogs False Bottom, along with leaf litter.

Still coming up with a few designs of the land/water part. So once I get those finished I will post them to get some input.

the duckweed does use up quite a lot of ammonia, but there are other things that you also need to filter. do yourself a favor and splurge on a good filter for it. i understand building on a budget, believe me, but the one thing i absolutely NOT do on the cheap, is life support systems. splurge on a good canister filter like a zoomed 501 or something to that effect. as far as heating, i use good quality aquarium heaters. either eheim or fluval. they are adjustable and hold their settings well. they can be hidden under false bottoms easily and are almost bullet proof. just remember to leave access to remove it if it fails.

a t5ho build is the way to go if you have access to one. i use a 4 bulb unit to light my mantella tank and the plants grow like crazy. cfl's are also good and should be good for a shallow tank like a 20L. stick in that color temp range (6500k) and all should be good.

i am lazy, and get my fruit fly cultures from petco. they last about a month. i'm sure lynn can give more info on the Josh's cultures, since i believe that's where she gets her's from?? btw, i use melanogaster flies.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    the duckweed does use up quite a lot of ammonia, but there are other things that you also need to filter. do yourself a favor and splurge on a good filter for it. i understand building on a budget, believe me, but the one thing i absolutely NOT do on the cheap, is life support systems. splurge on a good canister filter like a zoomed 501 or something to that effect. as far as heating, i use good quality aquarium heaters. either eheim or fluval. they are adjustable and hold their settings well. they can be hidden under false bottoms easily and are almost bullet proof. just remember to leave access to remove it if it fails.

a t5ho build is the way to go if you have access to one. i use a 4 bulb unit to light my mantella tank and the plants grow like crazy. cfl's are also good and should be good for a shallow tank like a 20L. stick in that color temp range (6500k) and all should be good.

i am lazy, and get my fruit fly cultures from petco. they last about a month. i'm sure lynn can give more info on the Josh's cultures, since i believe that's where she gets her's from?? btw, i use melanogaster flies.
    $35 isn't bad for a filter like that. If that's what you suggest, I'll go with it

So the false bottoms really confuse me lol Anyone have any links I can look at that show how to build them? And another thing that's bothering me. The background. I love all the backgrounds that people make with the foam, but I am 99% sure that mine would turn out terrible. I am a bit artistically challenged... lol

My petco is lame, they don't sell ANY live food. Petsmart is over an hour away, and they only sell meal worms and crickets. So...?

I really like the style of this one, with the waterfall and all. But of course I would do it with tropical plants.

Scottyhorse

How about a light like this? Looks good to me!

30" 36" 48" inch T5 High Output Quad Aquarium Salt or Fresh Water Lights Fixture | eBay

Price is a little high for an off brand thing like this, but IDK, might get it anyhow.

Scottyhorse

Found a couple more Palu pictures I like. I am finding out I am more drawn to the non-tropical plants. I think. And would it be best to turn the 20 LONG or 10 gal vertical?

And this is my fave.... I LOVE it! Seem familiar?

2011 AGA Aquascaping Contest - Entry #85

That light would work. You can find well priced ones at aquatraders.com

The orientation of the tank is up to you, but to maximize area for land/water feature, horizontal would be best

Btw, you're not gonna build one of those palus on a budget lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

As far as the false bottom, check my mantella tank build thread on here. I don't have the link on my phone, but it should explain building a false bottom pretty well
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

lol! Yeah, I'm dreaming. Someday I will have a huge custom one like that.

Scottyhorse

Awesome thanks I will check it out.

Scottyhorse

How do I make a water fall (Or some sort of moving water feature) in such a shallow tank?

I was bored and had nothing to do, so I came up with this. I would rather not do it though lol So any ideas on how to make a - wait got it! lol!! So I will just post the pic for funsies

Buuuut, I will make a new sketch of my (new) idea

Scottyhorse

Okay, here it is. This is a top view of what it will look like. There will be a slope, starting the the left for the stream to go down, and into the pool of water.

I've got a question, do I keep water ONLY in the pool, or underneath the ENTIRE false bottom? Any suggestions for the stream? I know I need a pump, what about finding some bendable black pipe for the water to go down? I would cut it in half, of course.

Now, should I do tropical plants like I see in most palu's? Or forest-like plants in the pics I linked?

How hard are the backgrounds to make?

Scottyhorse

I made this so I know how much egg crate I need. Figured I would share with you guys, to show you what I am thinking of. What do you think?

Okay, here it is. This is a top view of what it will look like. There will be a slope, starting the the left for the stream to go down, and into the pool of water.

I've got a question, do I keep water ONLY in the pool, or underneath the ENTIRE false bottom? Any suggestions for the stream? I know I need a pump, what about finding some bendable black pipe for the water to go down? I would cut it in half, of course.

Now, should I do tropical plants like I see in most palu's? Or forest-like plants in the pics I linked?

How hard are the backgrounds to make?
    that will look very cool. your water will be under the false bottom as well. you want it to be about an inch below the the false bottom to prevent the water from wicking up into the substrate.

the stream. someone on here came up with the brilliant idea of using habitrail tubes and heating them up to form a stream, since they are cheap and come split already.

you are aware that the two palus you linked to are the same tank right?? and they are tropical plants in it.

backgrounds can be easy or hard, depends on what you are doing. how much detail and so forth.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    that will look very cool. your water will be under the false bottom as well. you want it to be about an inch below the the false bottom to prevent the water from wicking up into the substrate.the stream. someone on here came up with the brilliant idea of using habitrail tubes and heating them up to form a stream, since they are cheap and come split already. you are aware that the two palus you linked to are the same tank right?? and they are tropical plants in it. backgrounds can be easy or hard, depends on what you are doing. how much detail and so forth.
    So how tall should the false bottom be? Maybe 4 inches, so I can have three inches of water? Or 3 inches, with 2 inches of water? If I had a deeper tank (I am SO getting a big tank for a palu someday lol) I would do more water.... And do I need substrate in the water? Since the water will be so shallow, the only plant I will have in there is duckweed, floating. Then maybe something along the lines of Anubias (but an actual 'tropical plant') type thing growing out of the water. Habitrail tubes... Hmmm. I will need to search for that. Neat idea..! Yeah, I know That's why I said 'seem familiar?' lolI just want a simple background that has a few pots in it for plants. I'm going to have the water for the stream coming out of the substrate (outflow hidden by plants) so I don't need to worry about tubing and such.

So how tall should the false bottom be? Maybe 4 inches, so I can have three inches of water? Or 3 inches, with 2 inches of water? If I had a deeper tank (I am SO getting a big tank for a palu someday lol) I would do more water.... And do I need substrate in the water? Since the water will be so shallow, the only plant I will have in there is duckweed, floating. Then maybe something along the lines of Anubias (but an actual 'tropical plant') type thing growing out of the water. Habitrail tubes... Hmmm. I will need to search for that. Neat idea..! Yeah, I know That's why I said 'seem familiar?' lolI just want a simple background that has a few pots in it for plants. I'm going to have the water for the stream coming out of the substrate (outflow hidden by plants) so I don't need to worry about tubing and such.
    sorry, i completely forgot to respond, got busy....lol water depth is up to you. but yes, you will need some sort of substrate in the water. so factor that into the equation, at least an inch. my mantella tank has an inch of soil and an inch of substrate on each aquatic level. but you can most certainly go with just an inch of substrate.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri