Thread: Worried about my African clawed frogs

Pincushion

Default Worried about my African clawed frogs

One of my frogs likes to float around on the surface then go and hide between the filter and glass of my tank, she will sometimes sink down but mostly she's at the surface. I just got both my frogs and I don't know if this is just the ones personality or if she's sick. Another thing that worries me is that neither seem interested in eating, I am unsure if this could be stress over having to move from one tank to another or if they eat when I'm not around. These are my first clawed frogs and even though I read up on them online and tried to do everything that was recommended I'm still nervous that I'm doing something wrong or they might have been sick when I got them and I won't know until it's too late.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Worried about my African clawed frogs

Let me get this straight you just moved them into a new tank?

If so then your tank may be cycling and causing problems with the frogs.

Do you have any way of checking the water quality meaning it's pH nitrates ammonia etc. etc.
    If not you can use a small clean sandwich bag to take a water sample to a local fish store and have tested they will be happy to do so.

Also if you take a picture of the tank and how it set up will also be a great help.

Pincushion

Well, I just got them Wednesday so I thought they could be stressed from moving from the dealers tank to my tank; and I'll post pics once I'm done with work

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes the frogs are just getting use to the new tank.
    Do you have a background on at least the back of the tank?
    And some kind of a hide where the frogs can hide when they are frightened as they are really skittish.
    Also having a background on at least the back of the tank will help also.

Is the tank you put them in a well established tank that has had fish?
    if not the tank will go though cycling and you will need to monitor things and do partical water changes
    to keep ammonia levels safe for the frogs.

Have you ever kept fish?
    keeping these frogs are not much different from keeping fish.

But you have to be carful of what substrate you use.
    if you use small gravel that the frog can swallow it can cause impaction and will kill your frog.
    if you use large gravel un eaten food can fall in between the gravel where the frog can't get it and
    also cause big problems.

I recommend using sand.
    Sand can be passed by the frog with no problems.
    How ever sand can ruin pumps if the pump intake is too close to the sand.

Pincushion

Attachment 56846 Attachment 56847 Attachment 56848 Sorry for the wonky layout of this, still getting used to formatting in this forum. These are pics of my two frogs (I'm assuming they are female based on their size, they are still froglets) and their lair. I was hoping to go to the petstore tomorrow to pick up some more live plants (anubias most likely) but I'll pick up a background for the back too. Once I have enough money I'm hoping to get an under-gravel filter and, eventually, a bigger tank. I had a goldfish when I was like, five or so followed by two ADFs and a snail when I was nine

Pincushion

Also, the rock cave looks rough, but is actually smooth and rubbery feeling; I made sure the stuff I was going to put in the tank wasn't pointy/able to rip their skin

You'll need to reupload the pictures, they're corrupted.

Just a few things:

1) ACF tend to 'float' near the top and they almost look like they're paralysed. If floating plants aren't provided, they'll just float by themselves and it looks like they're sick or even worse. This is typical ACF behaviour from what I've seen. Now the question is, how often is the frog on the surface? My frogs tend to love being at the top (it's easier for them to get their oxygen) but I love to be in the water too. If you see the frogs on the surface 80-90% of the time, then something probably isn't right.

When I feed my frogs when they're on the top, once they've eaten the food, they will just paralytically sink. It's funny to watch, since my tank is quite tall. If you feed them while they're on the bottom, if there is a slight current it will push them up and it looks like they're standing up in water!

2) Regarding the food, I think it could be two possible reasons:

a) They're stressed
    b) They haven't associated what you're feeding them with food. What were they fed with the original owners? What are you feeding them now?

Reptomin is regarded as a good staple (not full diet), it's highly scented so that the frogs will know when food is dropped into the water.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    φθεγξώμεθ᾽, εὔγηρυνἐμὰνἀοιδάν,
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    ἡνίχ᾽ὁκραιπαλόκωμος Aristophanes, Frogs: 209-220
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    χωρεῖκατ᾽ἐμὸντέμενοςλαῶνὄχλος.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Darlene Passante

I am one of those stupid people that thought a pink frog in a bottlle was cute. The lady told me she cute live in the bottle her whole life. I am a responsible pet owner and love all God's critters. Now that I have her I want to do right by her. I will put her in a 20 long tank and if she makes it, I would like to get her a buddy. But only when I know she is thriving. I need to know if I should put a a filter in the tank? what is the best thing to feed. I was sold blood worms but she won't eat them. need advice

Rather than hijacking this thread, you could post your own. It will get more attention and you'll get better quality responses.

However, before you do that, you could do a simple search on the forum and you'll find that many people have had the same problems and the same questions as yourself, it may be useful for you to look into that, I'm sure you'll find answers!

(p.s, a filter is always needed)
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    φθεγξώμεθ᾽, εὔγηρυνἐμὰνἀοιδάν,
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    ἡνίχ᾽ὁκραιπαλόκωμος Aristophanes, Frogs: 209-220
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    χωρεῖκατ᾽ἐμὸντέμενοςλαῶνὄχλος.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Pincushion

Name:  74919_10153059476025112_679831741_n.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  51.5 KBName:  164971_10153059476595112_1988778760_n.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  80.7 KBName:  1069823_10153059475700112_1470165288_n.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  49.9 KB When I got home from work yesterday they were both on the bottom and they stayed down there awhile; I'm going to observe them more to see if they have a pattern or if it's random or what. As to what they were fed at the dealers I have no idea, I'm feeding them Reptomin baby pellets and they did eat some last night. A couple side-questions on feeding: when should I stop feeding them the baby pellets/when should I introduce a more varied diet? And when can I start trying to hand feed them?

Pincushion

I wouldn't do a diet made up of only bloodworms, I read it causes bloat which is most often fatal; Reptomin pellets are pretty good as a staple diet, and if it's still a baby then Reptomin baby pellets (has loads of calcium which promotes bone growth, an important thing for frogs to have strong bones). Make sure the things you put in the tank are not pointy/have the potential to rip the frogs skin (go with silk plants over plastic), have a filter, put in some real plants as well. If you know what species your frog is I'd Google it and read up on it.

maxQ

Default Worried about my African clawed frogs

They look good to me and their behavior is not much different than my two albino claw frogs. I would say mine spend 50% of the time on the bottom been 50% of the time on the top but i havnt really noticed a real daily routine but mine are very active. They have been hand fed from the day i got them and now are very friendly and love my hands and love being hand fed. When i get up in the morning and turn their light on they go nuts with anticipation of feeding from my hand , mine will also chase my cats red laser pointer. I think your guys are fine, they just need to settle down a little and they will adapt and get used to their environment and you .

Using Tapatalk

Thread Information