Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urgent please help

Default Urgent please help

So I was taking out my frog to give him/her a honey bath and I noticed his/her back was deformed and crooked. Please tell me how I can fix it, what happened, and why it happened.

Name:  IMG_1202.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  47.1 KBName:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_1204.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  53.3 KBName:  IMG_1205.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  54.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They have necks believe it or not. Looks like his head is turned a littlebit. Also the spots can sometimes form a minor optical illusion. I thought this for my frog too for a while. But... there is such thing as frog scoliosis.

Default Re: Urgent please help

This is a pic of my Mojo. Due to angle of the picture, coloring and how he is sitting, it looks like his spinal cord bows out.

Did your little guy eat more yet?

NialR35

He looks like he has a bulge on his side; both sides are looking different and not asymmetrical ....does it feel hard? Could this be impaction?

I do think he has eaten 3 crickets one dusted.

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    He looks like he has a bulge on his side; both sides are looking different and not asymmetrical ....does it feel hard? Could this be impaction?
    It is hard like bone, cannot be impaction there is no moss in there.

If you look at the last image, you can see that the frog is NOT symmetrical.

Also his leaps and hops are lopsided, when he jumps it always curves to the right, as if the left leg is stronger.

Is it his side that's hard or his hip bone? His right leg looked kicked out more in the fourth picture. Which explains the lump at his hip area on the last picture. If he has eaten, the right side will look bigger than the left. If he needs to poop you may feel something hard towards the lower right side of the belly area. As for impaction, there are different symtoms involved and more questions to be asked. I don't think I'm experienced enough to help. But I don't think its an impaction. ( the pictures won't load on my phone right now so I may the getting the lefts and rights mixed up. I did see them though.)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    It is hard like bone, cannot be impaction there is no moss in there.
    They can still get impacted. Moss is a high risk for impaction, but not the only cause. Some frogs can become impacted no matter what they eat just because they happen to be more sensitive.

Also his leaps and hops are lopsided, when he jumps it always curves to the right, as if the left leg is stronger.
    This sounds almost like MBD. If the frog hasn't been getting the proper dietary supplements, this can cause muscle weakness and bone frailness. Can you get any video of him moving around? That would go a long way to determining whether this is MBD, scoliosis, or something else.

Kk if he is hopping rightish, that means his left leg is stronger. How was this frog kept with the prior owner (all water)? I did notice that in the picture his right leg was kicked out, which could be a couple different things. Has he ever had a leg injury? This problem is above my level unfortunately I wish I could be more help.

How long have you had your frog? When I got mine, I noticed that he has a bone poking out (not through the skin), like yours, and he is incredibly crooked. I brought him to the pet store and they figured it is an old injury. It does not cause him any noticeable distress at all.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry for your frog troubles . What the 1st, 2nd, and last pic show does not look like impaction or constipation to me. That plus the statement frog moves lopsided, evidence a possible physical damage to rear legs/hips or a bone nutrition issue like MBD. I know you've been having feeding issues with it; but to develop MBD in that short time is not normal. If you did not notice that before in the short time had it; tend to think it's the former.

Has frog been dropped or mishandled accidentally? If more than one person has access to frog; ask them too. If so, a visit to a veterinary with frog or exotics experience is recommended. An x-ray will confirm if bones are broken, displaced, or help diagnose other issues and vet will do proper treatment. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Sorry for your frog troubles . What the 1st, 2nd, and last pic show does not look like impaction or constipation to me. That plus the statement frog moves lopsided, evidence a possible physical damage to rear legs/hips or a bone nutrition issue like MBD. I know you've been having feeding issues with it; but to develop MBD in that short time is not normal. If you did not notice that before in the short time had it; tend to think it's the former.

Has frog been dropped or mishandled accidentally? If more than one person has access to frog; ask them too. If so, a visit to a veterinary with frog or exotics experience is recommended. An x-ray will confirm if bones are broken, displaced, or help diagnose other issues and vet will do proper treatment. Good luck !
    I do not think it is an injury on the leg but more of the back. If you notice in the last picture, he has some sort of bone sticking out, on most frogs (very noticeable in tree frogs) there are two protruding bones on the back, mine only has one. I have not dropped my frog, and when I handle, it is delicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendar View Post
    How long have you had your frog? When I got mine, I noticed that he has a bone poking out (not through the skin), like yours, and he is incredibly crooked. I brought him to the pet store and they figured it is an old injury. It does not cause him any noticeable distress at all.
    Since I am not yet capable of driving, I cannot go to vets or petstore whenever I want and I might not have time or availability to do these things.

Nationality
    [United States]

Since I am not yet capable of driving, I cannot go to vets or petstore whenever I want and I might not have time or availability to do these things.
    If there are broken bones or something of that magnitude, you would expect to see swelling. Also, in cases of broken bones, the frog wouldn't be able to move the broken limb. I'd say that if you don't see any swelling and the 'weak' leg can still move normally (just weaker than the right leg) then you're probably not looking at a break. A vet would be good, but if you can't get to one this might help you determine if there's a break or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    If there are broken bones or something of that magnitude, you would expect to see swelling. Also, in cases of broken bones, the frog wouldn't be able to move the broken limb. I'd say that if you don't see any swelling and the 'weak' leg can still move normally (just weaker than the right leg) then you're probably not looking at a break. A vet would be good, but if you can't get to one this might help you determine if there's a break or something.
    I think it is more of a dislocation because the backbone or that kind of a "shield" you see and feel on frogs is slanted.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think it is more of a dislocation because the backbone or that kind of a "shield" you see and feel on frogs is slanted.

If there's not an obvious injury, there's no way to tell what the problem is without a video of the frog moving.

The problem is that if the frog hasn't been accidentally dropped or something, just sitting in cocofiber shouldn't cause a break or dislocation. Is there anything in his cage he could jump off of or anything?

Yes, he might have hit vine that i am using to supply shade when jumping towards a cricket. I will post a video of his movements soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information