Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent please help

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Urgent please help

It looks like scoliosis to me, most likely caused by Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). It could also have been caused by genetics or injury, but I would guess MBD. There do not appear to be any signs of impaction or broken/dislocated bones. Most frogs do have one side that is more developed than the other. That combined with the distorted hip is going to cause the frog to move different. S/he might have trouble making long lunges at food, shedding, or impaction. But with proper care, frogs with minor scoliosis can still live long, healthy lives.

You can not cure MBD, but you can lessen it and prevent further damage through proper supplementation. Dust his/her food with calcium with D3 three times a week (every other feeding) and with vitamin once a week (not on the same night as calcium). Keep a close eye on him/her and watch for any other symptoms that may arise. Please keep us posted.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    It looks like scoliosis to me, most likely caused by Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). It could also have been caused by genetics or injury, but I would guess MBD. There do not appear to be any signs of impaction or broken/dislocated bones. Most frogs do have one side that is more developed than the other. That combined with the distorted hip is going to cause the frog to move different. S/he might have trouble making long lunges at food, shedding, or impaction. But with proper care, frogs with minor scoliosis can still live long, healthy lives.

You can not cure MBD, but you can lessen it and prevent further damage through proper supplementation. Dust his/her food with calcium with D3 three times a week (every other feeding) and with vitamin once a week (not on the same night as calcium). Keep a close eye on him/her and watch for any other symptoms that may arise. Please keep us posted.
    One problem, my frog was not like this until I posted this thread.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    One problem, my frog was not like this until I posted this thread.
    It may have been and you just didn't notice. Sometimes scoliosis can be hard to see while the frog is well hydrated giving them a very fat appearence. Once the release the water and return to a more normal state the distortion will be apparent and very noticeable. It would be quite difficult for your frog to injure itself in such a way without falling from a distance or simething falling on the frog.

But I have pictures and videos of him from before.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by COOCOpUcHoo View Post
    But I have pictures and videos of him from before.
    Sometimes Scoliosis is a progressive desease becoming worse as the frog grows and other times it remains the same the frog's entire life. Provide plenty of calcium D3 as directed and you can try and hault it's progress, but there is no guarantee. I have an adult male with Scoliosis and he gets around fine.

ok thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information