Thread: How to control froglets while changing the paper towel substrate?

Gentlemangorath

Default How to control froglets while changing the paper towel substrate?

So I've gotten 6 Gray Tree Frog froglets to raise up, three of which I'm going to release back into the pool area after they've grown (so that I can improve my chances of getting two males and a female, as selfish as it is), but I've already noticed that opening the tank is going to result in at least 2-3 of em trying to make a bolt for the open top. So, is there a way to distract them whilest we take the paper towel and fake plant out and put them back in, or a safe way to do it? The only safe option I can think of is using the swing-open lid on the top of the pet carrier to remove the plant and towel, then use it again to place the paper towel back in along with the plant afterward. Only downside I can think of is the "what if" of a froglet being on the bottom of the carrier while we put the towel down, and not knowing what to do about it. But yeah, if anyone can share their techniques, I'd much appreciate it.

Also, do they need to have a soaking dish in there? Or do they just need to have humidity at a certain level? Thanks again in advance to whoever answers :P.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tubby0512

Default Re: How to control froglets while changing the paper towel substrate?

the question is n. Last year I raised froglets since an egg and that's where I got my male(tubby) They always fled until they were about 3 months old that's when i could hand feed my frog. They always try to escape I just put them in a different container when I clean the froglets tank. Also what you are doing is fine because I hoping I get a female in this batch so I'm keeping 3-4 hoping I get a female.

P.S Froglets will ALWAYS try to escape until they are use to you. Well that's what mine did.

A taller container can be useful here to give them farther to climb to escape. So can an extra set of hands and small deli cups on standby in the event of an escapee (place the cup over the frog, and deal with other escapees if there are any). Leaving cover in the tank can also help, froglets will often head for cover if it is available.

Having a shallow soaking dish is always a good idea. This lets them regulate their own hydration requirements.

I would also be reluctant to raise gray treefrogs to the point where you can sex them and then release them into the wild since this really happens at a late age (it might take a year or more before a male starts trying to call but not calling after a year is no guarantee of a female). But that's just me.

Gentlemangorath

The six I had didn't make it. I don't know if it was too hot, or the humidity too low, or maybe it was the sunlight, but they apparently dried up as my parents told me, and I guess I'm just going to give up.

Thread Information