Thread: Just got my first toad.

BlayzinNano

Default Just got my first toad.

So My fiance just bought me 5 Fire Bellied Toads for my birthday because my Peacock Day Gecko died the day before my birthday. Even one is doing great. All eating. One question I do have. Is do I really need to make part of the tank water or can I just use the reptile water dish I have and let them soak in it? I have been using the dish. I change the water in it every day.

Also how many can I have in the 29 gallon tank? And how many can I have in a 55 gallon tank? I am a huge aquarium guy. I always have empty aquariums. Right now there are 6 sitting in my garage. Dieing to use the 55 gallon because it has a crack about 2" from the top so I will never put water in it.

Also tell me what I need to change or should change.
    29 Gallon Tank with glass lid. 30"x12"18" LWH
    Nice size fake rock. Use to be the filter in my turtle tank about 2 years ago. Seeled all holes so nothing can get in it or behind it.
    About 4" of Coconut Fiber, with a couple small patches of "Frog Moss"
    Nice size Bromeliad to hide under.
    Water dish, about 8"x8"x3" LWH with a ramp to climb out. Dish is level with the substrate.
    Feed crickets every other day. Crickets are gut loaded with Fluker's Cricket food. Dry and wet food all with calcium.
    Tank stays about 78-80 degress all day. Night is about 73-75 degress.
    I mist the tank once in morning and once around mid afternoon.

All the help and advice would be awesome. Thank you in advance for the help and the advice.

PS
    These little guys are awesome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Just got my first toad.

Here is a great article on FBT care. I really would recommend as much water as you can give them. Welcome to the forum!
    http://www.frogforum.net/toad-care-a...-breeding.html

Kurt

I concur, more water is better. Five will fit nicely in your twenty nine gallon. However, there is a lot of wasted height using this tank, so a twenty-long would be better. Sorry about your decko (thats what I call day geckos).

BlayzinNano

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be building the 55 gallon tank. Let the fun begain. I will post pics of it as I start working on it.

Kurt

I look forward to it.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum BlayzinNano and congratulations on your new FBT's. I will be looking forward to the photo's too.

BlayzinNano

Ok this is the deciding factor on redoing the 29 Gallon or making up the 55 Gallon.
    If the 29 Gallon was half land and half water. Each section about 15"x12". How many toads can I have? I would have a filter in the water. Also can the different types of Bombina toads live together? Like the yellow bellied ones. Also can any other frogs or toads live with them since the tank is so tall. If water changes + the filter is what will make it where I can have different things that is not a problem. When you have three saltwater tanks and a turtles tank you get use to them.

Also what is better -
    RODI Water
    RO Water
    Dechlorinate Tap Water

Kurt

Dechlorinated tap water is your best bet. Do not mix other species in with fire-bellies as they are quite toxic and any other frog housed with them is likely to suffer. As far as mixing other Bombina in with them, I would also say no. They are all toxic, but whether their toxins are similiar and thus safe to each other, I cannot say. So why take the chance? Also, outside of orientalis, we don't see the other Bombina species to othen here in the US. A while back I did see some albino B. bombina for sale on Kingsnake.com, but they were a little too pricey for my tastes.

Thread Information