Thread: Hello from near Atlanta GA!!!

Default Hello from near Atlanta GA!!!

Hello y'all,

I'm LeiliaAnne, I have been a lurker on Frog Forum for almost a year and finally decided to go ahead and register!

I am Mom to two Eastern Gray Tree Frogs named Convo (short for Conversion because he changes colors so many times), and Unnamed Female (Still trying to think of a good one. If anyone has any ideas let me know), I believe (from what I have seen in pictures) a female? red Southern Toad named Snoopy because he likes to sit on top of his hideaway, a twelve year old male high-yellow Leopard Gecko named Freddy, three large Hermit Crabs, and a ten year male red short-hair standard Dachshund named Buddy.

I have had Fred and Bud for ages, and the hermies for about a year and a half, but am just getting started with the frogs and toad. Any advice on them would be very welcomed.
    I know in the pictures below that the tanks are rather small. I have a 10-20 gallon tank for Snoopy, and a 7 gallon tall hex tank for my tree frogs that I am going to set up soon. My family is in the process of moving right now and with everything all over the place, there is nowhere for me to setup the new tanks at the moment, so the tank setups are on the back burner for the time being.

I am planning to do the FT tank with a false bottom mode of Hydro-balls and have a little pond at the front. This pond would be kept clean through a filter that is integrated in the top on the tank that would draw water from under the substrate and HBs. The return water would would come down over a branch and return to the pool in front. The back half of the tank will be raised and be most likely Eco-Earth with various tall plants and vines planted in it. If any one has suggestions on plants I would love to hear them.

I am not really sure what to do with Snoopy's tank. I will most likely do a high FB in his tank, for drainage and put Eco-Earth on top of it. He likes sitting on top of/inside his hide, and he loves sitting inside of his water dish. Do Southern Toads like water features? Like do they swim in them? I could make him a small pond with a submersible filter in it to keep it clean. Does anyone know if toads like things like that? What else would be good for his tank?

I love to talk to people, and would like to get to know others in the forum. I would welcome any advice or suggestions that anyone would like to share.

Thanks for reading my long post,

LeiliaAnne

Name:  Both Eastern Gray Tree Frogs.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  65.9 KBName:  Convo Eastern Gray Tree Frog.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  40.8 KBName:  Unnamed Female Tree Frog.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  42.9 KBName:  Tree Frog Tank.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  72.4 KB

Pictures:
    1. Both Tree Frogs
    2. Male tree frog
    3. Female tree frog
    4. Current TF Tank

Name:  Snoopy Red Southern Toad.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  93.3 KBName:  Snoopy Southern Toad.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  93.2 KBName:  Southern Toad Tank.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  52.9 KB

Pictures
    1. Snoopy
    2. Snoopy
    3. Southern Toad Tank

nirotorin

Default Re: Hello from near Atlanta GA!!!

Snoopy looks very cool. I think he's the first red southern toad I've seen.

You should name the female gray tree frog Whisper, because she hides.

3. This member thanks nirotorin for this post:

Thank you Nirotorin! He is a really cool pet. I have seen I think one picture of a red southern toad on google. He is definitely unique and is really sweet too. When I clean his tank or change out his water he comes over and sits in my hand. I've never really had an animal that would do that before.

I like the name Whisper, and it fits in well because Convo chirps and sings in the evenings but she is silent.

elura

Snoopy is a beautiful color! and looks awfully happy

nirotorin

Have you considered breeding Snoopy?

I hadn't really thought about it. I have only had him about a month-2 months.
    I really don't know anyone else that has frogs/toads let alone a Southern. Do you know if there are any other frog/toad people on here from GA?

Thank you, I love his coloration.

Yeah... he does look like he is perpetually ticked off about something. I don't know if that is a toad trait, or just him.

nirotorin

I don't know of any, but I am sure there must be quite a few.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Leilla! Your Southern Toad is very nice! Have you seen the care article section? There is one for ground toads and another foe Grey frogs .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Hey Mentat! Thank you, he is really a beaut and I love him.

I have seen the care article section. I have read through the articles and they helped a lot. Actually, I was able to use the knowledge from the toads article today. I was at ReptiCon (in ATL) yesterday and was able to educate a gentleman about his southern? (pretty sure it was a southern, but the little mite was only about the size of my thumbnail) toad, as he know nothing about it. It was pretty cool.

Thread Information