Thread: Pacman Frog puke?

Bedore

Default Pacman Frog puke?

Today while doing a spot check of my frogs enclosure I noticed something odd and foul smelling. I picked it out of the bottom of the enclosure and I am not really sure what it is. It looked like a bunch of ground up crickets. I saw what looked like wings/legs. I haven't noticed any poop in awhile and think perhaps my pacman is impacted. I didn't think to take a photo and already threw the stuff out, but has anyone else noticed if their frog has thrown up before? Crickets are the staple diet, with earthworms as well.

ETA:

1. Size of enclosure - ExoTerra 12x12x12
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences - 1
    3. Humidity - 80%
    4. Temperature - 82 day, 78 night
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - Excellent quality well water
    6. Materials used for substrate - Ecoearth
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - EcoEarth, water dish, fake plant
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source - crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) - calcium dusted 2-3 times a week, vitams 1x a week.
    10. Lighting - none, natural
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - heat pad on the side of enclosure, ceramic heat emitter
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - last night
    13. Have you found poop lately - not in over a week.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - none currently
    15. How old is the frog - got the frog as a baby early may 2013.
    16. How long have you owned him/her - see above
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - crickets, earthworms. Usually offer food nightly, sometimes skip a day.
    19. How often the frog is handled - hardly never
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - low traffic
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - daily water changes, spot checked daily, complete change of ecoearth every 3-4 weeks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog puke?

Hello Bedore! Since frog has not pooped for a week and appears it did vomit, take a look at frogs left side (right when looking at frog head on) and see if it looks different and bigger than other. If so, (and specially if it feels hard) could be a constipation problem.

For that get a small tub that fits the frog and fill to frogs chin height with 80F dechlorinated water + a few drops of honey (3-4 for baby is OK). Let her sit there for 20 minutes and then discard the solution and do a rinse of same without the honey. Usually frogs will poop during baths. After baths you can place frog back on her enclosure dish and if it poops you are done. If it does not repeat daily until it does.

Also, recommend as soon as you get some poop to take it to veterinary (hopefully with amphib experience) to conduct a fecal sample and ensure your frog is free from parasites. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Anytime they vomit it is bad.

Follow Carlos' advice. Most of the time an impaction will show on the right side of the frog and I do mean the frog's right side. Since the stomach is located in this area food eaten will not be able to leave the stomach and create a bulge on this side. Vomuting can be cause by a severe impaction or the usual cause parasites and internal bacterial infections.

Either way whether the frog poops or not seek a Vet's help.

Bedore

Just gave my pacman a bath, and no poop yet. I will continue this and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

Well water may not have chlorine but it has high heavy metals in it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Dan is right. Switch to spring water it is far better for your frog than well water.

Bedore

No guarantee that 'spring water' won't have said heavy metals, as there are reports stating that even spring water has some heavy metal content. Either way, the water I use is filtered and our last water test was more than satisfactory. I will monitor the frog closely over the next few days and continue with daily baths...hopefully I will see some poop next time I check.

This will get rid of the metals. Just a suggestion.

Nationality
    [United States]

You know there have been many come here using well water and suddenly their frog becomes ill. Filtered or not there is a difference between spring water and well water. Heavy metal content will be different. At least treat the water with water conditioner for reptiles and amphibians. It will remove any heavy metals or other content that may pass through the filter. A filter is not always enough.

You can use the product suggested by Dan or buy Zoo Med Reptiafe or Prime.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hope all is well with your frog soon!

You can mix spring and distilled so that you still get some mineral content just not a high concentration. We do this all the time with fish, mix dechlor tap with RO to achieve the desired pH and hardness. Hope this helps some.

Bedore

Well, it appears I may have misdiagnosed the issue. I noticed after the bath that my frog pooped, this time smaller than the stuff I found earlier today but it was the same look and consistency. It was quite dry and had bits of partially digested crickets in it. Looked a bit more normal but not like it usually does. Is it possible that it was feces that I found instead? Has anyone else every discovered dry feces w/ partially digested critters in it? Very odd indeed. The frog has no lumps on his side and still has an appetite as of last night. Thanks all for the help and suggestions so far.

NialR35

If your frog is still a baby, I think it might be normal to find partially digested crickets (which is most likely the heads/legs) which might be okay. At least you know your frog is not constipated now.

Let the experts confirm this, although I have read other people finding cricket heads in poop, especially when the frog is still very young and is not able to digest as good as adults would.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes it is very possible you found poop and not vomit. Cricket heads, legs, and wings do not digest completely and usually are passed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ...Most of the time an impaction will show on the right side of the frog and I do mean the frog's right side. Since the stomach is located in this area food eaten will not be able to leave the stomach and create a bulge on this side....
    Thanks for clarification Colleen/Jerrod ! Fresita suffers from chronic constipation (even when fed night crawlers exclusively) and it's her left side that bulges out more, so that confused me .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Thanks for clarification Colleen/Jerrod ! Fresita suffers from chronic constipation (even when fed night crawlers exclusively) and it's her left side that bulges out more, so that confused me .
    That means she is getting blocked up towards her cloaca. It will vary some, but most of the time when the really need to poop it shows on the right.

Thread Information