Thread: unkown toad

CadenDC

Default unkown toad

I live in NE and my neighbors caught a bunch of tiny toads at a base ball game and they were going to use them for fishing bait so i asked them for a bunch and i let a bunch of them go at a local creek and i did keep 3. I keep them in a temporary little plastic cage with moss and a tiny water dish and i brought them up to MN during a family trip and they seem to eat tiny mayflies that i catch near the lake but i don't live near a lake in NE so i was wondering what they would usually eat. I tried pill bugs which they kinda ate and they don't really like worms.I was also wondering if u had any guess on which type of toads that i have they are now tiny and or a lighter shade of brown with tiny warts and in the NE region. But with the may flies, one of the toads like to eat but the other 2 r a bit skinnier and that also ties in with the food problem. hope u can help

thanks,

Caden

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: unkown toad

Im not sure what type of toads they may be but check out websites based on amphibians and
    wildlife in New England. Good food for toadlets would be friut flies and pinhead crickets. If you
    cannot get those you can try feild sweeping or checking leaf litter for springtails.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

demon amphibians

do you have pics?

Quote Originally Posted by CadenDC View Post
    I live in NE and my neighbors caught a bunch of tiny toads at a base ball game and they were going to use them for fishing bait so i asked them for a bunch and i let a bunch of them go at a local creek and i did keep 3.
    On behalf of the toads let me say thank you. You've given them a far better fate than being bait.

You can check the amphibian lists an Amphibiaweb AmphibiaWeb: United States Map Search I think you only have Fowler's or Amrican Toads over there, and they may be hard to distinguish at this size (care will be the same for both). A photo may help.

There is also a basic toad care article Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates in case you haven't seen it already.

Small ants are another option for food.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Tiny toads do GREAT on fruit flies and pinhead crickets. I kept mine in a small plastic container using unbleached papertowel on the bottom. Also had a few clumps of moss for them to climb on and they will also hide under the edges of the moss. Also make sure you have a small shallow water dish for them to soak in making sure they can easily get in and out of dish. If using a plastic bottle cap make sure the edges are smooth & won't cut the tender toad bellies.

Example of the ones I raised last year.
    Name:  toadlets 6-7-12b.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  79.1 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

CadenDC

sorry my camera is super blurry

Thread Information