Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    @Colleen/Jerrod: Thanks for the pics Colleen/Jerrod. Is that an exo terra? If so what size? Where's the frog?

Thank you guys for all the great feedback. Seeing as how I did not have another critter carrier, I just ended up buying a 10gal tank to start with and hopefully my little guy won't feel intimidated. Man, I'm already loving these little guys too much, and my wallet is from all the shopping. Two questions though:

1)Eventually, I want to get the Exo-terra medium-low which is 24x18x12, will this be good for when my pyxie is an adult or a 20gal would be better (IF i end up getting a male)?

2)I own the Exo-terra small-low (18x18x12)...this should be good enough for when my ornate becomes an adult EVEN if it turns out to be a female right? Please.... if not I'm 300% screwed lol.

-So just to double check, the pyxie does not need to be submerged/floating in water (as some youtube videos I've seen showing off their set ups); water to the chin is fine and there's no need for a "pool" right?

Thanks again
    The tank is a Tetrafauna and the frog is in the rock hut on the left side of the tank. Can't see him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    Carlos, what size tank or tanks do you house your African Bullfrog(s) in?
    Stilgar was in a 20G and I was getting a 40B set-up when had to give him away due to health reasons. At almost 5 in. the 20G looked small and Stilgar could cross halfway in one leap. IMO if you want to do a nice 1/3 dry 2/3 water set-up for a 7 in. male GABF you need a 40B and a 75G is so much better .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The tank is a Tetrafauna and the frog is in the rock hut on the left side of the tank. Can't see him.
    What size is it though?

NialR35

So here it my new baby! He is so tiny, around 1 inch +! Looks healthy and very active in his new 10 gal. (Thanks for the Petco sale heads up Carlos!)

Name:  20130716_125544.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  185.8 KBName:  20130716_125608.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  77.2 KBName:  20130716_125637.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  116.3 KBName:  20130716_125655.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  61.2 KBName:  20130716_125721.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  130.0 KBName:  20130716_125814.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.7 KBName:  20130716_130350.jpg
Size:  74.0 KBName:  20130716_140535.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  97.0 KBName:  20130716_140549.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  97.7 KB

Tell me what you guys think! His hind legs are a little grey-ish/dark blue ish. What is that?

Another question that is a little off topic. My ornate pac is around 2 inches, is it okay to put him in the 18x18x12 exo terra or should a wait a bit more? It's just that the medium critter carrier is taking too much space and I have the exoterra empty. Will it be too big for him ? I mean the pyxie is in a 10gal and is half his size lol. Let me know.

SCF

So here it my new baby! He is so tiny, around 1 inch +! Looks healthy and very active in his new 10 gal. (Thanks for the Petco sale heads up Carlos!)

Name:  20130716_125544.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  185.8 KBName:  20130716_125608.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  77.2 KBName:  20130716_125637.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  116.3 KBName:  20130716_125655.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  61.2 KBName:  20130716_125721.jpg
Size:  130.0 KBName:  20130716_125814.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.7 KBName:  20130716_130350.jpg
Size:  74.0 KBName:  20130716_140535.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  97.0 KBName:  20130716_140549.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  97.7 KB

Tell me what you guys think! His hind legs are a little grey-ish/dark blue ish. What is that?

Another question that is a little off topic. My ornate pac is around 2 inches, is it okay to put him in the 18x18x12 exo terra or should a wait a bit more? It's just that the medium critter carrier is taking too much space and I have the exoterra empty. Will it be too big for him ? I mean the pyxie is in a 10gal and is half his size lol. Let me know.
    It looks good. It also looks hungry. The grey/blue coloring is just it's baby colors, it will fade as it matures.

NialR35

Yea I think he might be hungry. I will feed him tonight though. He has been moving a lot, hopping here and there and stares at me lol. These guys should be able to eat nightcrawlers as well right?( pretty much the same diet of a pacman) because it's all I have at the moment and I hate crickets lately.

Wow nice frog! Congrats. As for moving your ornate. I would wait another half inch. Shouldnt be too much longer. Ide say another week or two max.

What's the normal size/age for sexing these guys? And feature differences to look for between males and females. Been doin a lot of research on these guys, and it seems there is a little confusion on the "sex my frog" threads.

SCF

2-4 months give or take out of the water.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    What's the normal size/age for sexing these guys? And feature differences to look for between males and females. Been doing a lot of research on these guys, and it seems there is a little confusion on the "sex my frog" threads.
    Well from my understanding, it's not as easy to tell when they are so little. Sometimes a "female" can turn out to be a male and viceversa. It's better to wait a bit until the baby develops some and shows the different characteristics of each genre. You can only make educated guesses even though in some cases you can tell 99% what the genre is, however it's never 100% until you get a dino-frog with orange/yellow chests that sounds like a buffalo then it's a male; cut that by half, remove the orange coloring and add a yellow stripe down the back and it's a female.

At this point I'd love a male....but not a freaking monster truck looking male. Just a normal one... non-steroid looking healthy frog because I really don't want to have to buy a shamu tank for him.

SCF

Coloring is no indicator of sex, even as adults. The croaking part of your post is right on though.

lol shamu tank. haha

Is that the same for the other types too? Or just the giants.?

Ide either like a male dwarf or female giant. I think a male giant would eat me out of house and home. It would still be cool though. Gonna have to chip away at the wife for a very long time in order to get another frog.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by danfrog View Post
    Ide either like a male dwarf or female giant. I think a male giant would eat me out of house and home. It would still be cool though. Gonna have to chip away at the wife for a very long time in order to get another frog.
    Danfrog,

Just show her pictures of the baby one and tell her it will only grow a little bit. That's what I did and it worked!

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    Coloring is no indicator of sex, even as adults. The croaking part of your post is right on though.

lol shamu tank. haha
    I thought coloring did matter for these species? It's even mentioned in the care sheet and in other places I've researched online. Unless the coloring is not a very strict way to classify them.

Heh I wish. I'm lucky to have my Mojo. Unfortunately she has seen a full grown male at the zoo yesterday so i have no way to play it off. And she is no herp person. She did catch her first wild snake the other day (very proud of her!) She will come around. Ill keep working my magic and chip away. I'm guessing with in six months ill have me another frog. Just more time for research. Plz keep us posted on your new baby.

Nationality
    [United States]

I thought coloring did matter for these species? It's even mentioned in the care sheet and in other places I've researched online. Unless the coloring is not a very strict way to classify them.
    Color only matters for determining species not sex.

Maverick

Name:  IMAG1069.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  41.2 KBThis came from lllreptile

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information