Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

NialR35

Default Need your help picking my Pyxie!

Greetings!

I'm fairly new to the "frogger" world but already getting addicted to them! . I already have an ornata pac and would like to get a pyxie because I find them really formidable and have always interested me...but I don't want to make the same mistake.

When I bought my pac I thought a frog was a frog and did not even know fantasies, cornatas,samurais, albinos, caatingas existed!!!! so I bought mine not knowing all these other types of pacmans were available but whatever I still love my baby and he's eating like a champ.

Is there something I need to know prior to getting my ABF? Are there different types/species like there are in pacmans? I really want the giant one, hopefully end up getting a male.; but is there anything to look out for? Please educate this fellow frogger, I'd REALLY appreciate some pictures to show me a comparison if necessary.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

There are different species. There are no color morphs like you will find in pacman frogs. If you are looking for a giant you will want to get P. adspersus. I'm not quite sure what you are asking about looking for in a male, do you want to start with a baby and raise it up, or are you looking into getting an adult? If you are asking if you can identify a male as a baby, the answer would be no. Do you want to see pictures comparing adult female/males? These frogs are sexually dimorphic with the male being the larger of the two. One thing to also look out for is buying a dwarf instead of a giant. Sometimes pet stores label them wrong, etc.

SCF

If you are planning on buying online, you can post here beforehand and we can advise you.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

hahahaha oh gosh, you are so on stage 2 of frog addiction already, congratulations i guess. lol
    SCF got your q covered
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    There are different species. There are no color morphs like you will find in pacman frogs. If you are looking for a giant you will want to get P. adspersus. I'm not quite sure what you are asking about looking for in a male, do you want to start with a baby and raise it up, or are you looking into getting an adult? If you are asking if you can identify a male as a baby, the answer would be no. Do you want to see pictures comparing adult female/males? These frogs are sexually dimorphic with the male being the larger of the two. One thing to also look out for is buying a dwarf instead of a giant. Sometimes pet stores label them wrong, etc.
    Thanks SCF. What I meant by hopefully getting a male was that since you can't tell what they are when they are babies, I'm hoping I luck out and get a male. I read that care sheet and learned the difference between males and female, but what I was referring to is that I should only be aware of not getting a dwarf right? Is there any other discrepancy or I should just focus on getting a P. adspersus if I want a giant? I just don't want to get the short end of the stick haha.

Thanks

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    hahahaha oh gosh, you are so on stage 2 of frog addiction already, congratulations i guess. lol
    SCF got your q covered
    LOL! yea, I never thought it'd be this quick haha. I think my next frog will be a pyxie, I like how they look like little rhinos and are pretty aggressive eaters. It's funny because every time I saw a frog in the middle of the street I'd be like "ewww nasty" and now I own them. These frogs are cool though.

Nationality
    [Canada]

hahaha you won't believe how happy i am for having a female, smaller tank, less food lol she is all cute.

if you want for sure a male, you need to get subadult/adult, but then you'll miss out on growing, it is so much fun to watch them grow literally overnight.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

SCF

Are you planning on getting it from your LPS or online? Dwarfs will be labeled (most commonly) P. Edulis. Some pet stores label a giant (ignorantly or even intentionally) as a dwarf.

NialR35

Well, I would order online ONLY if you guys can recommend a reliable website. I heard LLLreptiles can be good and so can kingsnake.com but the thing about kingsnake is that is kinda like a jack of all trades since different breeders post there and you don't know who is good and who's not. I've been in touch with mikesfrogs, he has a very good reputation here so I will most likely get it from him when I make the decision.

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Well, I would order online ONLY if you guys can recommend a reliable website. I heard LLLreptiles can be good and so can kingsnake.com but the thing about kingsnake is that is kinda like a jack of all trades since different breeders post there and you don't know who is good and who's not. I've been in touch with mikesfrogs, he has a very good reputation here so I will most likely get it from him when I make the decision.
    LLL is very reputable, and you will get a true giant from them. Kingsnake.com is more or less a classifieds site, with a plethora of breeders/brokers/sellers, in my opinion a gamble (unless you do extensive research on the seller.) Mikesfrogs, does not breed pyxies, even though I do not personally know him, his reputation is very good as far as pacman breeding.

Nationality
    [United States]

There are currently 4 recognized species of African Bullfrog (http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...us-status.html) and possibly couple more variants (i.e. Tanzania African Bullfrog). If interested is comparing male and female of all species, recommend read Vosjoli's book: Amazon.com: Giant African Bullfrogs: Life History and Captive Husbandry eBook: Robert Mailloux, Philippe de Vosjoli: Kindle Store.

Kingsnake is just a classified advertising website as SCF stated. When ordering from anyone there, have to know seller reputation. Also, read the shipping warranty since many sellers at Kingsnake do not guarantee live arrival on frogs. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

NialR35

Awesome! Thanks Carlos, I just need to do some good research. I was in contact with Mike through email and he had giant pyxies available this weekend. Do you guys recommend LLLreptiles or any other breeder in case Mike runs out?

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome! Thanks Carlos, I just need to do some good research. I was in contact with Mike through email and he had giant pyxies available this weekend. Do you guys recommend LLLreptiles or any other breeder in case Mike runs out?
    Have not ordered frogs online yet; but have read good reviews about LLL, Josh, Mike, and couple others can't recall now. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

honestly i better wait until Mike has them, if he says these are giants, that is exactly what you'll get, no guessing game!

Lucky. I can't get the wife to sign off on getting another frog.

NialR35

So I ended up ordering my pixie from LLLreptiles and will be getting it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! (already a frog addict, oh God)

I'm very familiar with pacmans now, but is there anything I should know about my ABF? Are there any major differences as far as husbandry/habitat/care/feeding/temps/bulb types, etc?

I made sure I read the care sheet and it seems pretty similar, but maybe you guys can recommend or mention something I should know. (I.E: I did not know albino pacmans were sensitive to light and could only use infrared- Little details like this that could make a big difference)

Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

So I ended up ordering my pixie from LLLreptiles and will be getting it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! (already a frog addict, oh God)

I'm very familiar with pacmans now, but is there anything I should know about my ABF? Are there any major differences as far as husbandry/habitat/care/feeding/temps/bulb types, etc?

I made sure I read the care sheet and it seems pretty similar, but maybe you guys can recommend or mention something I should know. (I.E: I did not know albino pacmans were sensitive to light and could only use infrared- Little details like this that could make a big difference)

Thanks!
    The care article pretty much says it all. They are more fond of water than a Pacman so you will be changing the water everyday. Provide a dish that is chin deep on the frog if possible, but make sure it can easily enter and exit the dish.

They can be VERY aggressive so watch you fingers when the frog becomes large enough to be hard to handle. Like Pacman frogs they have teeth(all frogs do actually), but Pyxi teeth are much larger and more likely to bloody your hand.

Scared yet??? Lol!

As babies they can be housed the same as a Pacman while growing the frog to juvenile stage. A medium or large critter keeper(reptile carrier) work great setup just like with a Pacman. Warning!!!! This species of frog grows very rapidly and you will be buying new water dishes about every other week or more until adulthood. They also eat far more than any Pacman so keep stocked up on lots of Night Crawlers and Dubia Roaches.

If there is anything I have left out I'm certain someone else will chime in.

NialR35

Hahaha, I'd be scared to have this snap at my fingers.

So Colleen/Jerrod, with that said it's almost the same thing as pacmans? No extra stuff I need to know?(like that albino light example)

-What tank size do you recommend me from getting for this baby? 5 gallon for now or get a 10 instead since they grow fast? I got my pacman an exo terra 24x18x12 but he's way to small to use it(he's in a medium critter carrier) and I don't want to make the same mistake for my pyxie, but since they grow fast what's best? My exo terra looks like a "square", is a rectangular shaped tank better pyxies or the exo terra square one should be fine too?

-I've seen youtube videos that actually have small containers filled with water inside the terrarium.....kinda like a "pool"; Is this necessary or a typical water bowl up-to-the-chin is enough? Does the frog actually need to be completely submerged?

-I do need daylight bulbs because my room is dark, for my pacman I'm using a zoo med basking light that you recommended me. Can I use the same bulb types (basking/infrared) for pyxies?

-If you can please post me pics of your pyxie's set up just to have an idea.

SCF

Good choice going with LLL, you will get a true P. Adspersus. Start with a 10 gallon. You want long vrs. tall when choosing your tank. A typical water bowl that goes chin high will work. Pyxies do not need to be submerged. I use infared/black bulbs for lighting, UVB is not necessary. I also use a zoomed humidifiers on occasion, but this is also not necessary if you have the time to just mist to appropriate humidity levels.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hahaha, I'd be scared to have this snap at my fingers.

So Colleen/Jerrod, with that said it's almost the same thing as pacmans? No extra stuff I need to know?(like that albino light example)

-What tank size do you recommend me from getting for this baby? 5 gallon for now or get a 10 instead since they grow fast? I got my pacman an exo terra 24x18x12 but he's way to small to use it(he's in a medium critter carrier) and I don't want to make the same mistake for my pyxie, but since they grow fast what's best? My exo terra looks like a "square", is a rectangular shaped tank better pyxies or the exo terra square one should be fine too?

-I've seen youtube videos that actually have small containers filled with water inside the terrarium.....kinda like a "pool"; Is this necessary or a typical water bowl up-to-the-chin is enough? Does the frog actually need to be completely submerged?

-I do need daylight bulbs because my room is dark, for my pacman I'm using a zoo med basking light that you recommended me. Can I use the same bulb types (basking/infrared) for pyxies?

-If you can please post me pics of your pyxie's set up just to have an idea.
    You can use the same lights or what SCF recomended.

Name:  0715131853b.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.8 KB Name:  0715131852.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  64.2 KB Name:  0715131852a.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  73.8 KB Name:  0715131853.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  66.4 KB Name:  0715131853a.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  65.6 KB

Sorry for the low quality.