Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need your help picking my Pyxie!

i would recommend to get UVB for pixie, in a wild they live in open thus gets a lot of sun light and while it is not proven if UVB needed or not for african bullfrogs, but I'd say you better have it, 2.0 is sufficient, provided that a frog has where to hide if he chooses to.

also I'd say aim for 50/50 water/substrate set up, and get yourself ready for big poops and aggressive eating, if you think your pacman eats a lot just wait for when you have pixie lol

anyhow will be waiting for pics
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Ok so what? Lol I'm confused.

Do I really need uvb? Can a basking bulb do it? If not what's a good daylight bulb for them. My room is dark so I need a daylight.

Also should I just jump into a 10gal for now? Eventually I'm getting an exoterra but what's good for now? One of those fish tank 10 gal is okay? Or just a critter carrier?

SCF

I deleted that post, because it didn't come off right, this is the internet, and it's hard to tell seriousness. I will restate it. In the wild, pyxies will aestivate 9-10 months, getting no direct sunlight. UVB is not necessary.

Nationality
    [United States]

You can start in a large critter carrier with a Zoo Med Mini UTH on the side or a 10 gallon with appropriately sized UTH on the side or back and a lamp.

As for UVB it is not necessary, but the frog could benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day.

Nationality
    [Canada]

SCF what about the other 2 months lol

anyhow as i said nobody proved UVB needed or not, I'd recommend low percentage, but a frog can surely live with no UVB, lots of people keep their that way.
    i use 2.0 uvb, low voltage basking spot with a dimmer, and heat cable on a side of a tank for my pixie. she was deep down for 4 month with me digging and feeding her once in a while, now she is eating like a pig and sitting mostly in her water under basking lamp i guess waiting for the boys to appear lol

if you have 10 gal laying around i would just use it, they're nothing like a pacs, would hunt anything that moves including running water day or night lol

oh and if you'll have a boy you will need way bigger tank then 10 gal pretty soon lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

I see, then I'll pass on the uvb for now. Isnt a 10 gal too big for a baby though? Or its not worth getting anything smaller seeing as how fast they grow?

SCF

A 10 gal is perfect for a baby.

Lija, I hope you just realize I was playing with you. You do have a point about the 2-3 months, but that's what dusting is for..

Nationality
    [Canada]

SCF lol
    Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Isnt a 10 gal too big for a baby though? Or its not worth getting anything smaller seeing as how fast they grow?
    check Grif thread, his tiny baby grew to over 5" in less then 2 months if i remember correctly lol

Nationality
    [United States]

A well fed African Bullfrog will grow more than 1 in. per month the first few months of life. If you have a medium or large critter keeper or small tank already at home, start with that. If not, start with a 10G, which will fit it for first couple months. PETCO has the Aqueon line on sale for $1 per gallon until the 27th; good deal to stock up on tanks now .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

NialR35

@Colleen/Jerrod: Thanks for the pics Colleen/Jerrod. Is that an exo terra? If so what size? Where's the frog?

Thank you guys for all the great feedback. Seeing as how I did not have another critter carrier, I just ended up buying a 10gal tank to start with and hopefully my little guy won't feel intimidated. Man, I'm already loving these little guys too much, and my wallet is from all the shopping. Two questions though:

1)Eventually, I want to get the Exo-terra medium-low which is 24x18x12, will this be good for when my pyxie is an adult or a 20gal would be better (IF i end up getting a male)?

2)I own the Exo-terra small-low (18x18x12)...this should be good enough for when my ornate becomes an adult EVEN if it turns out to be a female right? Please.... if not I'm 300% screwed lol.

-So just to double check, the pyxie does not need to be submerged/floating in water (as some youtube videos I've seen showing off their set ups); water to the chin is fine and there's no need for a "pool" right?

Thanks again

SCF

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your new baby. Then soon enough we can sex it. I assure you, they do not need to be submerged.

SCF

Oh ya and as a plus, yours should be very close to the same age as my newest baby. So we will be growing them at the same time. =)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    ...-Eventually, I want to get the Exo-terra medium-low which is 24x18x12, will this be good for when my pyxie is an adult or a 20gal would be better (IF i end up getting a male)?
    Would wait until you know sex to get a larger tank. A 20L might be all you need for a smaller female; but a male will need anywhere from a 40B to a 75G if huge.

-I own the Exo-terra small-low (18x18x12)...this should be good enough for when my ornate becomes an adult EVEN if it turns out to be a female right? ...
    Yes, that will do even for an Ornate female.

-So just to double check, the pyxie does not need to be submerged/floating in water (as some youtube videos I've seen showing off their set ups); water to the chin is fine and there's no need for a "pool" right?
    It won't "need it" but if you do a 50-50 set up (or even 1/3 land 2/3 water) frog will happily use a swimming depth water (water height around frog's SVL). Just make sure dry section access is easy and maybe provide a rock slab or similar on water section for frog to leave water and chill out.
    Hope this helps, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

NialR35

WOW! 75 gallon if I end up with a large male? Oh snap.... but I thought they didn't need that much space considering they don't move much and just wait for prey. Isn't 75G overkill? I don't have space for that hahaha. These are going in my room because my wife will never let me put them in the living room and I already have a lot of furniture in my room as it is to add such a big tank, and she'd most likely make me sleep in the tank with my frog if I get that. LOL@women.

Well, the care sheet said at least 20gal should be good enough for an adult male, I guess the more the better but 75g? lol This is not a whale man! Are these frogs that active that they need so much space? Now you got me thinking Carlos, if that's the case then I hope I get a female.

SCF

75G is completely unnecessary. Even a 40 Long would be more than enough.

Man I'm excited for you Nial! I want one of these guys soo bad. Went to the zoo today and saw a full grown male. He was as big as my head! Can't wait to see pics.

SCF

Carlos, what size tank or tanks do you house your ABF(s) in?

NialR35

Holy **** I just saw Colleen/Jerrod's post on his AGBF and WOWWWWWWWWWWW! That thing is a baby rhino painted green. It grew so fast, you might not be feeding those "generically engineered hamsters" from mad scientist but you are definitely gut loading your roaches some Filet Mignon or something!

SCF

Haha ^ welcome to pyxies. NialR35 in this case, might as well make your living room into an enclosure "if it's a male". lol. These species of frogs are ambush predators, they sit and wait for food. They don't hop around all day in 4325451 Gallon enclosures. yet again lol. You will not need a HUGE tank to keep it, they only utilize about 1/3 of their tank on a consistent basis.

NialR35

So I guess I just have to wait until it grows and I will take it from there. I think a terrarium that is about 24-36 inches long like the exo terras should be fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information