Thread: injured/irritated/infected (?) eye

mea9an

Default injured/irritated/infected (?) eye

Hi,

I just got an ACF two weeks ago. She's fully grown and was donated to a pet store when her owner had to move. She had been doing really well but she did shed two days in a row. I kinda freaked out about it but I thought maybe I just wasn't watching carefully and she just didn't get it all the first time (I dunno...first time owner). But then I got back from being out of town this weekend and noticed that her left eye looked almost bloodshot. I decided it must been from rambunctiously swimming around and bashing into stuff. Then she shed AGAIN (it had only been 4 days since the double shed) and her eye got more blood filled over a couple hours of monitoring.

I don't know. A vet recommended a 60% water change (which I did) but I wanted to know if anyone else has encountered any eye issues like this or knew if it was something serious in conjunction with the excessive shedding. She is otherwise healthy. Swims a fair bit, eats a lot....

Any info appreciated, and ask me for more info if you need. It's the eye on the left (her right eye)

THANK YOU!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: injured/irritated/infected (?) eye

Hey there, that eye does look injured. I think the vet is correct in 60% water changes (basically the idea here is to keep the water as clean as possible). The good news is that african clawed frogs are tough and given a proper environment, do tend to bounce back from physical injury.

I am uncertain exactly which medication to treat this frog with or if it's even needed. My question would be if stabilizing the environment has helped his eye get better. If your frog is recovering without medication, skip it. The excessive shedding may indicate an issue with the water chemistry, what are you treating the water with when you do partial water changes and what are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings in this tank?

Also things to consider are what's in there with this frog and how did the frog injure itself? Is this frog kept alone or with other species? Perhaps some decor or a sharp rock? It may be best to keep this frog in a tank without decor and just a few floating plants to provide cover/shade and an area to rest.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would use melafix for fish, it is a really good anti bacterial.
    Just use as the bottle recommends on the dosage for fish.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Most eye injuries occur when there are jagged or rough edged ornaments are in the tank. My suggestion is to place the frog in a "hospital tank" (bare) with about 2.5 gallons of conditioned water. Observe the frog to see if the injury or disease worsens. As Michael says, these frogs are tough and may heal themselves. Teramycin powder seems to work well if treatment is absolutely necessary.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information