Thread: Heat lamp for an albino?

Katie779

Question Heat lamp for an albino?

I'm getting a little albino pacman on Wednesday (I feel an obsession beginning!) and I have an enclosure set up with a heat lamp (50 watt bulb) on a dimmer.
    I read just now though that bright lights can hurt an albinos eyes. Will my lamp be ok at only 50 watts and on a dimmer, or do I need to replace it for a UTH mounted on the side?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Heat lamp for an albino?

Regular bulbs can damage an albino frog's eyes and skin. You can safely use red colored bulbs (frogs can't see) or black "Moonlight" bulbs . The latter barely produce light, so red ones are better if needed to observe frogs.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Katie779

Ok, Great! Would I be better off with a UTH anyway? I'll be returning the regular bulb tomorrow regardless, so I could easily return the light and fixture in exchange for a UTH.
    And the red bulbs can be used for night time viewing as well, correct?

Thanks for the help!

Pyxiefan001

Quote Originally Posted by Katie779 View Post
    Ok, Great! Would I be better off with a UTH anyway? I'll be returning the regular bulb tomorrow regardless, so I could easily return the light and fixture in exchange for a UTH.
    And the red bulbs can be used for night time viewing as well, correct?

Thanks for the help!
    Yes they can. If planning on using an UTH, do NOT place it on the bottom of the cage. These frogs burrow to cool off and they'll fry themselves otherwise. Place it on the side in which case. Not really the best way to heat a terrestrial frog cage in my experience. I prefer infrared bulbs.

On topic of using bulbs, I do have an Exo-Terra 15w Natural Ion bulb over my tank. Will that be bad for an albino?
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Katie779

Ok, so apparently the albino I'm getting Wednesday has a history of being overheated. He was given back the original seller because he wasn't eating, but after 6 weeks is now perfectly fine. The person I bought him from said that they've been keeping him at 78 degrees. Is this too low? I thought 80-85 was the proper range.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerah Teoh Yong Qiang View Post
    On topic of using bulbs, I do have an Exo-Terra 15w Natural Ion bulb over my tank. Will that be bad for an albino?
    yes for albino, but that lamp is best for hospital set ups for non albino, and in general it is good.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    yes for albino, but that lamp is best for hospital set ups for non albino, and in general it is good.
    Sorry, I don't get you:

Is it that yes, it is bad for the albino so don't use?
    Or it's okay but generally not recommended?

Apologies for being a bit dense. It's midnight here and just had a ****ty day in court. Also, i kinda do need the light for the live plants in the tank
    "Those among us who are keepers (yes, I am one) owe each and every animal, be their cost mere pennies or thousands of dollars, the best of conditions and care. Research each species before acquisition, and then acquire only those that you can care for adequately and with relative ease." - Richard Bartlett

Nationality
    [Canada]

I'm getting a little albino pacman on Wednesday (I feel an obsession beginning!)
    hahahaha lol somebody is on frog addiction stage 1 since you plan so far ahead

you need infrared lamp, never regular for albino. you can use none too, ambient room light is fine.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

hahahaha lol somebody is on frog addiction stage 1 since you plan so far ahead

you need infrared lamp, never regular for albino. you can use none too, ambient room light is fine.
    I can totally understand the addiction!

Boy have I got the addiction right! Not only for frogs, for terraria in general, am mad about building them! Currently have 2 tanks, one for Pudgey the Paccie and one for my 4 Hissers but in the process of building another to house more roaches (hopefully Death Heads or Giant Green Banana Roaches)!

Thanks for the advice too, I'll remove the lamp and just move the tank closer to the window or the Hissers' with their lamp.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Jerah Teoh Yong Qiang View Post
    Sorry, I don't get you:

Is it that yes, it is bad for the albino so don't use?
    Or it's okay but generally not recommended?

Apologies for being a bit dense. It's midnight here and just had a ****ty day in court. Also, i kinda do need the light for the live plants in the tank
    didn't get what you are apologizing for, may be because i didn't quite wake up yet lol

anyhow that is a reason live plants in pacman tank are bad idea, that ion lamp has uvb/uva and can be used for day lamp only, but as any uvb and bright lamp will damage albino sensitive eyes and skin too if he is too lazy to burry himself for longer time.
    because if disinfecting action ( they clam it has one) it makes it excellent to use for hospital set ups when needed, but even then never for albino.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok, so apparently the albino I'm getting Wednesday has a history of being overheated. He was given back the original seller because he wasn't eating, but after 6 weeks is now perfectly fine. The person I bought him from said that they've been keeping him at 78 degrees. Is this too low? I thought 80-85 was the proper range.
    i would question on why he didn't eat and be careful getting it, he had a problem, but you don't know if he is really ok now and if the seller is not lying. Anyhow i'd be careful with that. check him up, his living conditions, how he looks, you can take a pic for us to check it out for you. how big is he?
    78 is a proper temp for night, but you want it higher for a day (80-82, even 85 for a baby), but i never go that high.
    i just don't want a bad experience for you when you're just beginning with pacs.

i would question on why he didn't eat and be careful getting it, he had a problem, but you don't know if he is really ok now and if the seller is not lying. Anyhow i'd be careful with that. check him up, his living conditions, how he looks, you can take a pic for us to check it out for you. how big is he?
    78 is a proper temp for night, but you want it higher for a day (80-82, even 85 for a baby), but i never go that high.
    i just don't want a bad experience for you when you're just beginning with pacs.
    Lija's right, temps are a bit too low in my opinion for daytime, although it does seem perfectly reasonable for night. Best to find out what exactly caused the feeding issues.

And golly, the forumers in this place are so nice and welcoming!

Thread Information