Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog project.

ExoticHerps

Default Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog project.

From my experience of caring and breeding pixie frogs I have never had a pair like these ones I have now! In the past 2 months I have been getting many great responses from my SUB-ADULT pixie frogs! I have already got amplexus and I'm going to make a dirary for anyone who is interested. If any one is curious I will attempt to breed my frogs by just doing it like breeding any other frog NATURALLY WITHOUT HORMONES. At first I did my research about all of the pixie frogs' habitat and how pixie frogs live in the wild and my goal was to mimic that with only exo terra plantation soil(lots of it), a homemade rain chamber, 3-4 inches of water(so the female doesnt drown), and only 1 male and 1 female. It doesnt sound like much because it isnt! At first i did my research and found out that pixie frogs have to be about 8 years to breed. I also found out that pixie frogs need a large breeding group and a kids pool to breed in. But my curious self tried felt like trying to do the "impossible" just to try.

STEP 1: at first i start by feeding them only about 10 crickets a week and i cooled it down a few degrees. I will minimize both these for 2 weeks until it is about 20 degrees celsius and no crickets.

STEP 2: I will put them in a full brick of substrate in a 20 gallon tank so then they could dig down and aestivate for 7 weeks with no food. And then misted the tank once a week gently.

STEP 3: I then put on a temporary rain chamber for 1 full day to wake them up naturally. Once then i will put them in a 30 gallon tank with a rain chamber or a kids pool if its raining.

STEP 4: the eggs or the calling... TBD

THIS DIARY WILL BE COMLETELY SAFE FOR MY FROGS AND NONE OF THEM WILL BE HARMED AS I HAVE 2 YEARS OF RESEARCH OF DOING THIS AND I HAVE EVERYTHING PLANNED.

I WILL BE POSTING A VIDEO DIARY ONCE A WEEK WITH PICS EVERY OTHER DAY AS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN FILMING AND AM JUST ENDING STEP 2 AND HAVE MOST OF THE DIARY ALREADY FILMED.

have fun following this thread for the whole summer!

2. 3 members thank ExoticHerps for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog project.

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticHerps View Post
    From my experience of caring and breeding pixie frogs I have never had a pair like these ones I have now! In the past 2 months I have been getting many great responses from my SUB-ADULT pixie frogs! I have already got amplexus and I'm going to make a dirary for anyone who is interested. If any one is curious I will attempt to breed my frogs by just doing it like breeding any other frog NATURALLY WITHOUT HORMONES. At first I did my research about all of the pixie frogs' habitat and how pixie frogs live in the wild and my goal was to mimic that with only exo terra plantation soil(lots of it), a homemade rain chamber, 3-4 inches of water(so the female doesnt drown), and only 1 male and 1 female. It doesnt sound like much because it isnt! At first i did my research and found out that pixie frogs have to be about 8 years to breed. I also found out that pixie frogs need a large breeding group and a kids pool to breed in. But my curious self tried felt like trying to do the "impossible" just to try.

STEP 1: at first i start by feeding them only about 10 crickets a week and i cooled it down a few degrees. I will minimize both these for 2 weeks until it is about 20 degrees celsius and no crickets.

STEP 2: I will put them in a full brick of substrate in a 20 gallon tank so then they could dig down and aestivate for 7 weeks with no food. And then misted the tank once a week gently.

STEP 3: I then put on a temporary rain chamber for 1 full day to wake them up naturally. Once then i will put them in a 30 gallon tank with a rain chamber or a kids pool if its raining.

STEP 4: the eggs or the calling... To be discussed

THIS DIARY WILL BE COMLETELY SAFE FOR MY FROGS AND NONE OF THEM WILL BE HARMED AS I HAVE 2 YEARS OF RESEARCH OF DOING THIS AND I HAVE EVERYTHING PLANNED.

I WILL BE POSTING A VIDEO DIARY ONCE A WEEK WITH PICS EVERY OTHER DAY AS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN FILMING AND AM JUST ENDING STEP 2 AND HAVE MOST OF THE DIARY ALREADY FILMED.

have fun following this thread for the whole summer!
    That sounds really good, I look forward to your updates/videos.

ExoticHerps

Default Re: Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog project.

Thanks!

ExoticHerps

Default Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog p...

Before post #1 of the diary, here is a sneak peek of whats happening in the present...
    BTW If something GOOD happens you wont until the end of the diary. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372568688.231719.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  50.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21372568701.242238.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  47.6 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog p...

I will be following this thread as it comes together.

Good luck!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog p...

looking forward too
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

ExoticHerps

QUICK UPDATE:
    pixies have been in amplexus for 2 hours now.
    does anyone know how long the usually time is for pixie frog amplexus?

no pics yet though... I dont want to disturb them

Nationality
    [United States]

QUICK UPDATE:
    pixies have been in amplexus for 2 hours now.
    does anyone know how long the usually time is for pixie frog amplexus?

no pics yet though... I dont want to disturb them
    However long is needed for the female to produce eggs, lay, and for the male to fertilize them. It will most likely vary like most frog species.

ExoticHerps

I heard that it takes only a few hours if the female is gravid. But my female is probably still produing eggs so it could take longer.

BTW THEY STOPPED AND WENT AT IT AGAIN. AND NOW ITS BEEN 4 HOURS.

ExoticHerps

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  65.9 KB
    I heard that it takes only a few hours if the female is gravid. But my female is probably still produing eggs so it could take longer.

BTW THEY STOPPED AND WENT AT IT AGAIN. AND NOW ITS BEEN 4 HOURS.

ExoticHerps

Default Anyone curious about breeding pixie frogs in captivity? Breeding pixie frog p...

Nope ive never had a hamster before. But i did breed a few rats once to feed to my pets but thats it. Nice question though.

ExoticHerps

Um ok?

SCF

I deleted my post, as it did not pertain to the subject of your thread. My apologies.

ExoticHerps

Thanks its ok

SCF

ExoticHerps, I originally had A LOT of questions for you, but let's start with this one question. What happened to Goodbye? I thought you learned everything you could from us and did not need us anymore...

Remember this thread? http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...-good-bye.html

What about this thread? http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...exus-pics.html

OR this one? http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...duce-eggs.html

Now to explain how I and another member (I wont name unless doesn't not mind being named) figured this out.

Name:  African Bullfrogs.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  66.2 KBName:  ExoticHerps.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  53.5 KB

Both the same pictures, on different user accounts. These are screen shotted from my computer, and cannot be removed now. They both look awfully similar right?

What about this link?
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-othe...AdIdZ498437803

Seems to me you are selling a "breeding pair" in June, but obviously you still have them, and obviously they are not breeding, they are just in amplexus.

What about flat out lying and another member asking you about it. That's not right.

Originally Posted by Justin BaileyHave any pics?

Actually it wasnt really me but my uncle used to breed them a long time ago so i dont really have any pics. But i am doing a video diary on the african bullfrog section right now about breeding them and if you want to learn or help out it would be great!

Care to explain any of this?

18. This member thanks SCF for this post:

SCF

Don't get me wrong here, I understand everyone deserves second chances, and I'm not out to get you, BUT when you come back on a new user account and start flat out lying to all of us, that's when it becomes another story. Why not just admit you left with not too many fans on here, come back and apologize on the same account? Instead you chose this way.

20. This member thanks SCF for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol SCF what happened to all the fun?

to Exoticherps i do have a few questions too. I'm all about projects and doing them if nobody is harmed, especially not frogs.

i have issues with you trying to breed subadults in a first place, how old are they? when someone do a project they start with a reasoning of all steps involved, thus my second question, why do you try to do the way you do? why just 2 frogs? how are you planning on cooling them off step by step, etc, it may be useful for people. step 3 is very interesting, how exactly will the process happen of waking them up naturally? and why? as i said earlier i'm looking forward to follow this thread and how will it go, assuming frogs will NOT be harmed in a process and the only way to ensure this is to understand the reasoning of a project.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    lol SCF what happened to all the fun?

to Exoticherps i do have a few questions too. I'm all about projects and doing them if nobody is harmed, especially not frogs.

i have issues with you trying to breed subadults in a first place, how old are they? when someone do a project they start with a reasoning of all steps involved, thus my second question, why do you try to do the way you do? why just 2 frogs? how are you planning on cooling them off step by step, etc, it may be useful for people. step 3 is very interesting, how exactly will the process happen of waking them up naturally? and why? as i said earlier i'm looking forward to follow this thread and how will it go, assuming frogs will NOT be harmed in a process and the only way to ensure this is to understand the reasoning of a project.
    In my opinion it would be a disservice to the frog community here to condone false and inaccurate breeding procedures. It's all a fallacy, and if he were turning a new leaf, he wouldn't start out with all the lies. What good can come from a web of lies? How many people will take this thread seriously and blindly try to breed based upon this inaccurate information? To reputable keepers, I personally would strive to provide the most accurate information based upon my knowledge, without letting people muddy up information.

Edit: and people here know you are a very knowledgeable keeper Lija, I don't want my statement confused or implied against you.

[QUOTE=SCF;185148]To reputable keepers, I personally would strive to provide the most accurate information based upon my knowledge, without letting people muddy up information.

Spot on. Inaccurate information does no good at all for the well being of species in, and needing in the hobby. Definitely no good for new hobbyists wanting to learn proper practices either....
    (SITE UNDER RECONSTRUCTION, LAUNCHING SOON!)

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol you guys are no fun lol but you're right! and SCF i don't mind to be named lol

by the way the babies are here apparently and are for sale Baby african bullfrog - Oakville / Halton Region Pets For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.
    same poster, but pictures are AB's from long ago, when he was asking to sex them.

care to explain?

P.S. why do i think we won't get a goodbye this time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information