Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another new baby frog topic! I need your expertise please!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Yet another new baby frog topic! I need your expertise please!

The Hygrotherm will work for the big tank, but not the keeper. Can't easily adapt a fogger for it and no place to feed in the large sensor with the lid on.

Just mist him a couple times a day and keep him in the warmest room. At night you can use an infrared bulb in the lamp and point it at the keeper, but keep the lamp 10" to 12" away.

Have you covered the lid of the keeper with Saran Wrap/Plastic Wrap? From the picturesit looks like you have not. Doing so will help maintain temp and humidity levels. Just cut a piece large enough to cover the top of the lid draping down over the front and back vents, but leave the side vents open for air circulation. Tape the Saran Wrap to the lid and cut a whole in the top just large enough to open the access door on the top so you can drop food in and open it to check on the frog. This will help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NialR35

Thanks again Lija!!

@Grif: I managed to use the tank's screen lid to rest my lamps on it while keeping the 12" distance from the lamp to the carrier but I noticed when i got back home from work that the water tank was empty!! Which means the basking light evaporated it.

-If i use the infrared lamp instead, will this cause the water to evaporate as well?

-Also from the pictures I just posted, seeing how close the lamp is to the carrier....that won't melt/ignite the plastic wrap right? lol just wondering before I do it...Will plastic wrap help increase temps? I really don't know what to do anymore and I'm having a tough time dimming the light almost at 80% power and it's still not really warming it up where its supposed to which leads to the next question....sensor placement

-I'm using zoo med combo meter( has a hygrometer/ thermometer built in- it's the black one) It does not really have a probe but rather something like a censor...I'm currently placing it on the left side of the carrier, towards the middle away from the heat pad that is placed on the back. Is that a good place to put that sensor? As of now it only reads 78.6 F and 87% humidity but that temp is too low for daytime so I'm wondering if i placed the thing in the right place. I'm assuming the area next to the heat pad is a lot hotter but the baby is on the opposite side next to the water bowl, which is on the far right.

I'm open to any ideas if you guys suggest relocating stuff inside the carrier and what not.

Name:  20130701_164925.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  54.2 KB

NialR35

About the hygrotherm:

From the pictures I found, you can only hook up two devices to it; unless I'm wrong. So I also would need to buy a fogger for this to work out right?

-Which fogger do you guys recommend that is compatible with the zoo med Hygrotherm?
    -I have dimming lamps with my bulbs and a UTH as well. Which one do you guys plug to this Hygrotherm? Because from what the picture shows, one plug is for the heat and the other one for the fogger. Educate me on this because when I move my frog to the big tank I will for sure get this to make my life easier. I don't mind misting at all, and I live in Florida so humidity is always there hahaha, but tweaking the temps every couple of hours is annoying.
    -It really bothers me that the analog shows me 81F and 55% humid but the digital shows 79F and 86% humid. =(

How do you guys have this set up? Thanks for everything!!

Nationality
    [United States]

If you cover to top of the lid with plastic wrap you may not need to use the lamp or just use it on a really low setting. Yes if the light produces enough heat or comes into contact with the plastic wrap it can melt it or worse. I never suspend the lamps directly over the keepers. I pisition them so that they are pointed at the keeper and not shining inside or directly over the top. Plastic wrap will help with temps and humidity. Never place the lamp over the water dish.

As for gauge position. When using a keeper such as this I always place the sensor or gauges in the center of the front wall across from the UTH. This way it is inbetween the warm and cool sides. Gives an overall average reading.

High 70°s is not bad really, but you don't want to be lower than that.

As for the Hygrotherm well I only use mine to maintainthe humidity levels. You can hook the UTH up to the heating outlet if you like, but it takes a while for them to heat back up after the unit has turned the UTH off after reaching the desired climate. Light will annoy the frog coming on and off. Use an infrared bulb if you like, but it will dry the water out too. The water evaporated because you have an open vented lid so the moisture ecscapes quickly.

I like the Zoo Med Reptifogger, but Lija has had bad luck with them so she doesn't. As long as you use distilled water in the fogger it will last quite some time.

My UTHs are on constantly. Lamps are only used for supplemental heat if needed and are on timers. Humidity controled by the Hygrotherm. My sensors are in the center of the lower back wall 1.5" to 2" above the substrate. This is how low you should position your gauges/sensors unless the UTH is on the back then you can place them on the sides or front.

NialR35

Thanks Grif!

Now you said that you control your lamps with timers, what timers do you use for that? We have similar dimming lamps, so how do the timers work with a dimming lamp?

-Is it still bad to suspend my lamps once I move my frog to the big tank? I've seen lots of set ups with people suspending on top of the screen lid? Or you were referring to being bad on top of such a small carrier?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    Thanks Grif!

Now you said that you control your lamps with timers, what timers do you use for that? We have similar dimming lamps, so how do the timers work with a dimming lamp?

-Is it still bad to suspend my lamps once I move my frog to the big tank? I've seen lots of set ups with people suspending on top of the screen lid? Or you were referring to being bad on top of such a small carrier?
    Lamps can be suspended over tanks, but not the keepers. They are a more confined space and heat can build up inside easily possibly overheating the frog.

I use Zilla Power Centers that can be programed for turning on the lights for 12 hours and turning them off for 12 hours. In the summer I don't use night time bulbs because the temp doesn't drop far in their enclosures at night. During the day I use Concentrated spotlight bulbs that since they're concentrated I barely have to turn them up for extra heat. I fine tune the dimmer to where I want it and then let the timer do its thing. It also doubles as a surge protectorand has 4 constant outlets, 2 daytime, and 2 night time outlets. It is an excellent timer.

Edit; Never go over 50 watts for your bulbs and place a fake plant under where the light shines down for shade.

NialR35

Awesome, thanks so much Grif. I just finished wrapping the top of the carrier with plastic wrap and it sure helped me sustain the temps/humidity.

I will keep it mind to check out the Zilla Power Centers that can be programed for turning on the lights for 12 hours and the Zoo Med Hygrotherm for the future. They look like they can come it handy. Man I've already spent so much money buying little things that add up lol.

NialR35

Another thing for future reference. Where would be a good place to buy pacmans?( I do see myself getting a second one sometime in the future hahaha) Is LLLreptile a reliable place?

SCF

Another thing for future reference. Where would be a good place to buy pacmans?( I do see myself getting a second one sometime in the future hahaha) Is LLLreptile a reliable place?
    They are.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Awesome, thanks so much Grif. I just finished wrapping the top of the carrier with plastic wrap and it sure helped me sustain the temps/humidity.

I will keep it mind to check out the Zilla Power Centers that can be programed for turning on the lights for 12 hours and the Zoo Med Hygrotherm for the future. They look like they can come it handy. Man I've already spent so much money buying little things that add up lol.
    i use regular timers from home depot/walmart/any hardware store, zilla power centers are 3 times more expensive, but they more functions, if you use timer just to turns lamps on and then off simple timer will do, they're like 7-10$.
    i do combo for all my tanks that need it, everything is on 12h on/off, so everything is plugged in one timer ( long chain of connectors and plugs) and then hydrotherms controls temps/humidity or just temps depending what i need. i also have a few zoomed reptiterm 500R controllers, they work great, but they are not digital.
    i use one hydrotherm for 2 pacman tanks that are same size, i have 1 fogger with 2 outputs ( one for each tank) and 2 heat lamps ( i use infrared).
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i use regular timers from home depot/walmart/any hardware store, zilla power centers are 3 times more expensive, but they more functions, if you use timer just to turns lamps on and then off simple timer will do, they're like 7-10$.
    i do combo for all my tanks that need it, everything is on 12h on/off, so everything is plugged in one timer ( long chain of connectors and plugs) and then hydrotherms controls temps/humidity or just temps depending what i need. i also have a few zoomed reptiterm 500R controllers, they work great, but they are not digital.
    i use one hydrotherm for 2 pacman tanks that are same size, i have 1 fogger with 2 outputs ( one for each tank) and 2 heat lamps ( i use infrared).
    Lol! Lija sure the power centers are more expensive but they also help greatly when you have as many frogs as I do. 21 remember? I need the extra functions and the surge protector feature is good to have.

Nationality
    [Canada]

omg, pardon my grammar in a previous post lol i guess it has something to do with us sitting at 95F without air conditioner.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    omg, pardon my grammar in a previous post lol i guess it has something to do with us sitting at 95F without air conditioner.
    Lol!!!

NialR35

LOL@Lija. No wonder hahahha.

I just got home from work and I noticed he was not buried and the temps were at 76.5F(This was with the plastic wrap, UTH and the lamp dimmed really low) I guess I really need to use the lamp to keep the temp higher even by using plastic wrap and the UTH. Is this normal that he was not buried during the day? Or could it be because the temps were low? Apparently i'll be misting a lot too, I even turn the a/c vent away from his carrier but temps seem lower than I want.

What do you guy use to clean the items that go INSIDE the tank? I bought wipeout 1 to clean the actual tank but it says you cannot use it for other things. What do you guys clean/disinfect the things that go in the tank? Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

LOL@Lija. No wonder hahahha.

I just got home from work and I noticed he was not buried and the temps were at 76.5F(This was with the plastic wrap, UTH and the lamp dimmed really low) I guess I really need to use the lamp to keep the temp higher even by using plastic wrap and the UTH. Is this normal that he was not buried during the day? Or could it be because the temps were low? Apparently i'll be misting a lot too, I even turn the a/c vent away from his carrier but temps seem lower than I want.

What do you guy use to clean the items that go INSIDE the tank? I bought wipeout 1 to clean the actual tank but it says you cannot use it for other things. What do you guys clean/disinfect the things that go in the tank? Thanks
    I scald any furniture with really hot tap water that isn't treated then dry the items by wiping them down then s ald with treated tap water and dry completely again. I do not like to use harsh chemicals on any wood or fake plants. There are some natural products out their that can be used, but I've tried some and didn't like them. I use Wipe Out 1 for tank cleaning.

NialR35

So you pretty much just rinse the stuff with water then? I thought you had to disinfect once a month? Do you do the same for the water bowl?

By the way, I still have a bunch of eco earth that I had place in the big tank prior moving him. Can i re use that or it will be too old by the time I have to change the carrier's eco earth?

Nationality
    [United States]

So you pretty much just rinse the stuff with water then? I thought you had to disinfect once a month? Do you do the same for the water bowl?

By the way, I still have a bunch of eco earth that I had place in the big tank prior moving him. Can i re use that or it will be too old by the time I have to change the carrier's eco earth?
    It may become too old by that time.

Water dishes can be scalded and wiped out really well. You can buy Wipe Out 2 which can be used for water dishes. Mine are changed daily to everyother day not allowing the time for harmful bacteria to breed in the water. Once the water is soiled change it immediately.

I disinfect the enclosure itself, but not the furniture. Drift wood will slowly begin to rot after a while. It is natural and. Does no harm as long as fungal growth doesn't get out of hand which rarely occurs . Fake plants just need rinsed off well and wiped down. Substrate gets replaced with new. This is what I do and does not pertain to anyone elses methods. In a Pacman Frogs enclosure they are normally very basic and do not have much to disinfect aside for the enclosure itself.

NialR35

I see. Sounds easier than I thought then .

When you say wipe it you mean using a like a regular paper towel or something special to wipe it with? Do you use those real wood logs that they sell for terrariums? I bought this "fake"wood one thinking it would be more durable and it would not rot.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Lol!!!
    not funny ((((( lol it is always dilemma to get AC or not, we have summer for like 2 month the max and the days like today may be 5-10 in a year, so you think first thing tomorrow am i do is to get AC, but you look at the forecast and see rain and +70 max in a few next days.
    but it is seriously crazy today, and with not typical humidity due to the floods it feels well above 100F.... sitting in a lake for 3 hours non stop worked for us today very well

on topic - i do same as Grif - take everything out wash with very hot water, scrape water residue from the walls, i use terrarium cleaner by zilla, it makes glass more resistant to water residue or they say so to disinfect tank i use wipe off now, before i used vet grade disinfectant, will be back to it once wipe off is done, not big fan of it, it smells
    i don't use any wood for pacs, just a few hanging plastic plants ( or just one) and water bowl.

NialR35

What do you guys normally feed your pacmans as a staple diet? Crickets are kinda annoying.

And how do you dust the food? Plastic bag and shake? Lol

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information