Thread: repashy meat pie

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default repashy meat pie

got a big bag, made some to try and hated big time, so now it is just sitting in my fridge
    so what to do with it other then throw in a garbage, is it suitable for anything else - crickets/roaches may be?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pyxiefan001

Default Re: repashy meat pie

I just did a quick search on this stuff. Looks kinda like a fudge cake once its geled lol. I've never tried it but why do you hate it so? Is it messy to make? Took me a few tries to master making clumps of that powdered Samurai stuff. My Pyxie loves that stuff. I'm not sure there's anything she wouldn't eat, really lol.

Anyway I suppose you could probably use it for insect gutload seeing as its supposed to have some good stuff in it.

Nationality
    [Canada]

it supposed to be similar to samurai food, but you need to cook it, cool afterward and you get a gel type of food for meat eating frogs ( pacs/pixies, etc), problem with that stuff is it is nightmare to feed, you can't grip it with tongs properly, you're lucky if you manage to get a grip on a thing and a frog eats it all in one gulp, otherwise it goes all over the place, totally gross. Initially i liked the idea ( it was before i got samurai food), got the bag and now am stuck with it. i'm thinking insects should eat it and stay alive, right? but it has very high protein content so here is where i'm not sure.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pyxiefan001

Well. . .that does sound like a bit of work to do for feeding. As for feeding difficulty. . .what if you're like me and place your fat land frogs in bare, separate tubs for feeding?

On the insect food matter. . .whatever you feed your bugs, goes into your frogs, is right? I would think that if something's goof for frogs to eat directly (provided it wasn't so messy lol) than surely some bugs can eat it so they can pass onto the frog via loaded guts. . .? I wouldn't trust my word on that, though.

What's the stuff made of? Fish products, like Samurai? If so, it might be OK. I feed my Dubia goldfish food flakes every now and then.

*EDIT: Oh just did some in-depth reading about this stuff. Some directions about it I read online suggests adding less water to the product if you want it to be a bit more firm (thereby making it more tong friendly?).

Allen actually worked with some members on another forum I frequent to feed fish with this formula. We found that you need to reduce the water content in the formula to make it more "gel like" and less pudding like.

New Gel food field testing- testers needed - Page 14

Here's a post by allen himself showing someone feeding his product to ceratophrys.

Other members baked the product a bit to dry it out so it wouldn't be so mushy and it would float in water.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i tried with less water, it was gel and still impossible to grip, will try to dry the thing a little, but in my opinion that stuff is the worst that is made by repashy.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

See if you can get some small breakfast sausage casings and use a piping bag to fill the casing and make small sausages and let cool to set and try that it might be easier to handle with tongs and make less of a mess.
    Here is the least expensive place I have found them.

Thread Information