Thread: Albino and other morph breeding question.

mrpineapple69

Default Albino and other morph breeding question.

Hey guys this is my first post here. I've owned frogs ever since I was a kid. From tree frogs, to toads, to pacmans. i took a break from frogs for a few years and owned a few snakes and monitors. but now I think im wanting to get back into collecting and owning frogs. I've recently bought a few small albino pacmans. Now I'm going to try the whole breeding thing for the first time in a few months when they are fully mature. My question is that if I breed albino to albino will there be any deformities in the tadpoles or offspring? I know if you breed 2 albino snakes together their babies will have deformities. i can't find much on Pacman frog genetics. Also I wouldn't be able to find any het albino pacmans if they are anything like breeding snakes. if i'm successful with the albinos I might want to try with a few different morphs like strawberry pineapples, cherry bombs and samurai blues. So again with albinos and all of those other morphs can you breed albino to albino blue to blue, cherry bomb to cherry bomb, etc. without deformities or any health problems? Ive found a ton of info on breeding but I can't seem to find anything on genetics. if anyone can link me to a site and answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note when i registered on this site it had a random question. This question was "Are frogs amphibians?" I answered "yes." It said i answered the question wrong. -.-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Albino and other morph breeding question.

Breeding frogs does not work the same as snakes. Their genetics act completely different. You can interbreed the morphs. There is always risk that some of the offspring will have deformities. It happens.

Also Strawberry Pineapples and Cherry Bombs are a type of Albino morph. Samurai Blue breedings have the possibility to produce mutants which are very uniquely colored, rare and worth a lot of $$$$.

I do not breed yet, but if you PM mikesfrogs or IvoryReptiles on here they can answer some more detailed questions.

Lol! That's kind of strange that the question said you were wrong.

Welcome to Frog Forum!

Nationality
    [United States]

Just out of curiosity, what type of snake were you breeding albino/albino? I breed snakes, and there's nothing about the genetics of breeding two albinos for most species that should automatically cause deformities. Of course, you're a lot more likely to run into closely related animals when you're breeding the same morph which could cause that...

But like Grif said, there's nothing that would cause deformities from breeding albino/albino frogs. I've never bred frogs, but I'd imagine with the size of their litters you're likely to get at least a couple deformed tads/froglets.

Haha... That question has to be a great first impression of a frog forum! lol

mrpineapple69

I personally wasn't breeding any snake. But a number of experienced boa breeders and experienced ball python breeders told me that they will come out with deformities if you don't breed albino to het albino. That was just an example I was using to see if frogs are similar to breeding snakes. I plan on getting another boa and breeding my pastel female to something, probably a very nice motley.

Now I know they are interchangeable. I haven't really been able to find any info on morphs or the interbreeding of the morphs. Does anyone know a website I can visit where i can get background information on all of these types of morphs for pacmans, how their genetics work, and how to go about start mixing them making cool colors, new things etc.? i'd love to research before I private messaged anyone. Any links at all on this subject?

Thread Information