Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skinny frog

Maverick

Default skinny frog

My frog eats very little at a time and im getting worried obout him because he is getting a little skinny behind his head and i can feel some of his bones.i put him in a honey bathe yester day and he pooped a log bigger than him with lots of cricket heads and some yellow stuff that looks like pee.but one of the big problems is that the crickets stay in one corner away from the frog like literaly one little corner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: skinny frog

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    My frog eats very little at a time and im getting worried obout him because he is getting a little skinny behind his head and i can feel some of his bones.i put him in a honey bathe yester day and he pooped a log bigger than him with lots of cricket heads and some yellow stuff that looks like pee.but one of the big problems is that the crickets stay in one corner away from the frog like literaly one little corner.
    Okay... Frog pee generally isn't yellow so idk what that was that you saw. If it happens again, get a picture of it. Also, can you get a pic of your frog from above?
    If a frog isn't eating, more often than not it's because something isn't right about its habitat setup. What sort of gauges are you using to measure temperature and humidity? If you don't know the brand name, then what do they look like? Some of them are very inaccurate.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Maverick, i honestly very much want to help you and your frog, but i concerned that you are not answering to the key questions we were asking in your previous thread and joking about serious matters. something is not right with your frog and possibly with husbandry as well. please get more serious about it and please reply to the questions asked.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Maverick! Sounds like a sad situation; you are worried, your frog is possibly sick, and the people here that could help like Lija, are confused about your seriousness in regards to your frogs condition . Starting multiple threads for same unsolved problem does not help either.

Have you ever read this care article ( Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding ) and ensured all your albino Pacman frog needs are met? Pacman's are not that delicate; but when their temperature needs are not met and kept in cold conditions; their kidneys and lymph hearts suffer chronic and permanent damage. That will manifest itself in lethargy, edema (specially around rear legs) and a shortened life span. None of those conditions are fixable; so you can see how the level of frustration goes up among frog lovers dedicating their time to help out.

What is the status of your heating issues? What is the current exact temperature for both day and night? A higher wattage red bulb (if fixture can handle it) might work. If not you will need to get another fixture with red light or a dome with a ceramic heat emitter connected to a manual rheostat or automatic thermostat. A heat mat on the side will help but usually those are inefficient when added to side and will not correct large differences by themselves.

Have you tried feeding Night Crawlers (at Walmart's sports section, one's without dye)? What do you use to gut-load the crickets? Placing them on a small glass dish in front of frog might help it catch more of them. Wish you good luck and hope you are on time to turn things around on your Pacman's health .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

i wanna believe that you're truly care about your frog and want advise and help, it just came across wrong way. how about we start from scratch?
    please answer "trouble in the enclosure" questions and post them here in this thread so we can help you. please include current pics of your frog ( she is very pretty by the way, i don't mind seeing her again) as well as pic of your enclosure. please include as many details as you can.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Just out of curiosity, how old are you? Am I remembering wrong or did you say in a previous thread that you were 14? That does make it more difficult for you to just go out and get materials since you don't have a license yet. I think it's great that you're noticing things that may be wrong with your frog and trying to fix them, but the biggest point I could make is that frogs are VERY sensitive.
    I had kept reptiles for almost ten years when I got my first frog, and it is totally different. Pacs are advertised as 'beginner' pets at most stores, but really I think they should be beginner frogs, not exotics in general. With most herps, the temps and humidity being a little off won't even phase them, but with frogs it can be fatal.

That is why people have been getting somewhat frustrated; even a short time of incorrect husbandry can be fatal for a frog. Being as detailed as possible in your answers, and providing pictures of everything (like the poo) is helpful. I keep a camera beside my tanks 'just in case'.

Maverick

sorry about joking around and all the questions are true exept the five frogs.the current temp that my frog has is ..76.1

Maverick

In the morning

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure about your present situation and if you or parents can take corrective action; but bringing the daytime temps up to 84-85F are paramount to your frog's short and long term health. That is the priority issue to correct right now.

Do please look at the excellent care article linked before and try to make your Pacman's enclosure as close to it as possible. If by any chance you are getting conflicting information at other locations; then it's your choice which to follow. However, anyone advising keeping a Pacman in lower temps is plain wrong. If you want to learn more about these frogs here is a good reference book: Amazon.com: Horned Frogs: Plus Budgett's Frogs (Advanced Vivarium Systems) (9781882770885): Philippe De Vosjoli: Books . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

all right, here are copied your answers from your previous thread please reply to these in question ( in red)

2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences-5
    3. Humidity-around 80%
    4. Temperature-around 70
    what are you using for measuring it? please provide the exact measurements, you said temps are on 76F day, what are your night temps? as Carlos said you gotta find the way to raise temps to 80-82 ( day), 75-78 ( night).5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dishwater from-filtered water holder
    from what i understood you got a water conditioner and using it, is it right?6. Materials used for substrate-eco earthdid you change it after you switched to treated water? if not, you need to do so and use treated water for expanding eco earth?

7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.-fake plant
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.at the pet store?

8. Main food source-crickets
    i suggest you add some variety (nightcrawlers, hormworms, dubia). crickets are not the most nutritional food out there.

9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)-1x week but ill do it 2x week
    you should use ca/vit d3 powder 2xweek and once a week multivitamins

10. Lighting-flukers night light 25watt
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure-heat lamp

12. When is the last time he/she ate-probably yesterday.please answer the current situation, when did she ate last?

13. Have you found poop lately-not since I first got him about 3weeks ago
    2 days ago that big one right?

14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)-k
    15. How old is the frog-2-3 months
    16. How long have you owned him/her-3weeks
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred-I think captive
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats-thinking about a stewart little
    19. How often the frog is handled-sometimes

20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area-what does that mean?
    it means how much stuff if going on around the cage, low traffic would be bedroom where you just sleep and high traffic - say living room where there is lot going on constantly, tv, people, music, movement.

21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)-will change water and other than that nothing to clean

Maverick

humidity is above 75%
    repti safe
    cocofiber and big rocks
    i did force feed him crickets with calcium this morning
    he pooped a huge log 2 days ago
    medium low traffic
    and should i put him up stairs where its warm and no one goes up there except me

Nationality
    [Canada]

how long ago did he ate himself? are 3 sides of your tank covered?

Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    how long ago did he ate himself? are 3 sides of your tank covered?
    no the tank isnt covered except i put a small blanket on one side and i put a blanket over his tank making it dark for him.and he rarely eats by himself.

Nationality
    [Canada]

ok, then that is what you need to do, the goal here is for a frog to eat himself, in order to do so he needs to feel safe and be in proper environment, we'll get there step by step. so:
    cover 3 sides of your enclosure with something, fish tank background, piece of paper, drawings anything that floats the boat and is not see through. what size is your enclosure and what size is your frog?
    did you manage to raise up our temps? it is very important!
    please do not take him out, handle, touch, etc for now. how does he behave usually - buried deep, not at all, sitting in one spot, moving all the time? please describe.
    do not force feed. it is very very stressful for a frog and is used only in critical cases when you don't have any other options. you say he rarely eats himself, but he does occasionally, is it right? how many times approximately he ate himself over these 3 weeks that you have him?

Maverick

he ate about 4 days ago and he is about 4in and i do need to stop handling him.What should i do to cover the sides bc i cant buy covers.

Nationality
    [Canada]

you don't need to buy anything to cover the sides, there gotta be something in a house that you can use, once i used piece of fabric to do so. anything that is not see through will do. i remember somebody here posted a pic of a tank covered with kids drawings very cute. cover the tank from the outside.

4" is adult size , he is older then 2-3 month. you said that he eats a little, so how often and what amount of food does he eat ( on his own, without force feeding)?

Maverick

i used printer paper

Maverick

whenever i feed him he eats a few crickets at night he doesnt really hunt for them.he just waits for them and the crickets also stay on the opposit side of the cage or stay ontop of the half log i have so he cant get them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

have you tried tong feeding? at his size he should be eating something better then crickets, get him hornworms as a treat, nightcrawers as a staple. but really i don't think he has any problems, he is eating and hunting.

21. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Maverick

I have night crwawlers but idk where to find horn worms.plus he wont eat the night crawlers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information