Thread: Housing Indonesian red toads.

Mmfh

Default Housing Indonesian red toads.

I'm sorry for this pretty stupid question. I know American toads of similar size can be housed together but does that go for all toad species? I acquired two Indonesian red toads at a reptile show. One is about three inches and one is about two inches. These are beautiful toads. I will get some pictures soon.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Housing Indonesian red toads.

Not sure what species an "Indonesian Red Toad" is and that common name does not return positive hits at global search engine or AmphibiaWeb. Do you have a scientific name? There are hundreds of toads and frogs native to Indonesia and that would help to narrow down the identification and your toads social behavior. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Mmfh

Sorry, I should have known better then using a common name. Surfing the web and just from looking at them I believe they are very red forms of Duttaphrynus melanostictus. The larger one is a rust red color and the smaller a orangish color similar to a young tomato frog. The other ones being sold were more grayish/brown and yellowish. They have dug deep into the soil and I am hesitant about digging them up right now since i have only owned them for 4 days. I will try to get pictures tonight if they come out to hunt since it is feeding day. Then perhaps we can verify what species they are. Thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Much better results with a scientific name, thank you. This link takes you to their AmphibiaWeb page and can see there that these frogs are "Nocturnal, appears soon after sunset; during day hides under stones, logs, piles of vegetation, holes and crevices among stones and in ground. Once a suitable place is selected, it is permanently shared with several toads." So, sounds to me you can keep together as long as similar sized. Also, the article has lots of environmental data that can help you provide for their proper needs in enclosure. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Mmfh

Thank you for the links. They seem like neat toads, just waiting for mine to calm down around me. The have both dug burrows, the big one a shallow burrow under a fake plant and the smaller one a big two chambered burrow under a piece of driftwood. They both readily ate the other night.

Thread Information