Thread: Sore on Frog's Back...

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Sore on Frog's Back...

I was giving Trevor a soak tonight and noticed a small sore on her back. I would put up a picture, but it is literally so small I had to stare at it for a minute or two to even tell it was there. Wouldn't have noticed at all, except I was sitting on the floor with my face a few inches from her. It's kind of invisible in all the pics I took. It's on the 'bony' part of her shoulder where the skin is very thick.
    I'm not sure what caused it, since there's nothing she could injure herself on in the tank and she doesn't get crickets. Going out now to pick up some regular neosporin.

I realize it's hard to recommend anything without seeing a picture (I'll keep trying to get one), but would you guys recommend going ahead and changing to a hospital enclosure? It's pretty small, but I'm paranoid about stuff getting in and irritating it. Just trying to weigh the hospital tank w/ the stress of changing her enclosure.

Does anyone know how often it is safe to apply the regular neosporin? Would twice a day be okay?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Sore on Frog's Back...

Neosporin applied! She's hopping around her tank angry, now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    I was giving Trevor a soak tonight and noticed a small sore on her back. I would put up a picture, but it is literally so small I had to stare at it for a minute or two to even tell it was there. Wouldn't have noticed at all, except I was sitting on the floor with my face a few inches from her. It's kind of invisible in all the pics I took. It's on the 'bony' part of her shoulder where the skin is very thick.
    I'm not sure what caused it, since there's nothing she could injure herself on in the tank and she doesn't get crickets. Going out now to pick up some regular neosporin.

I realize it's hard to recommend anything without seeing a picture (I'll keep trying to get one), but would you guys recommend going ahead and changing to a hospital enclosure? It's pretty small, but I'm paranoid about stuff getting in and irritating it. Just trying to weigh the hospital tank w/ the stress of changing her enclosure.

Does anyone know how often it is safe to apply the regular neosporin? Would twice a day be okay?
    Does the sore look festered? She probably had a bad shed where a dry patch of skin came off and took some of the new skin with it. You can apply the Neosporin daily once or twice per day. Always wash the wound off before reapplying.

I don't know whether you should move her or not. Normally with any open wound you want to keep substrate out, but eith frogs prone to extreme stress you may want to just keep her comfortable. The Neosporin can help keep debris out of the wound a little. It is up to you. You know her best.

Nationality
    [United States]

The shed thing is what I was thinking. No, it doesn't look festered, just what looks like scar tissue forming.

I think I'll wait a day or two and see if it keeps healing before I move her. It's on the top of her shoulder, so it shouldn't get irritated by rubbing or have too much bedding get into it. She doesn't mind handling, but really doesn't like me to change her tank around at all.

Nationality
    [Canada]

yep, I'm with Grif on that one. she got all mad after neosporin, in a hospital tank she would be full scale mad. just like mine, she had to live in smallish tank on papertowels for 2 days until we were allowed to go home and oh boy she was mad now 2 days later and in her warm cage, but she is still mad. i would do hospital tank only if absolutely necessary, but may be take some substrate out.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

That place looks a lot better today. I'll probably do the neosporin for a few more days just in case.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    That place looks a lot better today. I'll probably do the neosporin for a few more days just in case.
    Apply until the sore is gone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Couldn't even see it today With all the problems she's had, even the smallest thing makes me nervous.

Thread Information