Thread: Red eyed tree frog and Albino Red eyed

bshmerlie

Default Red eyed tree frog and Albino Red eyed

I know you're not supposed to mix species of frogs in the same enclosure but can you put an Albino Red eye in with a regular red eyed? Aren't they the same frog except one with the albino gene? I have a medium Exo Terra which is 18 X 18 X 24 with just the one RETF in there. I use a small feeding dish for the crickets to monitor what he eats. I've had him for awhile and he's doing great. I like the look of the Albinos but don't really have room to set up another enclosure. I already have a 10 gal with two FBTs in my daughters room. I add another tank in the house and my spouce will kill me. What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog and Albino Red eyed

I don't see a problem with keeping them together, but bear in mind that frogs from different sources may carry different diseases and/or parasites.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

JeffX

You might want to quarantine the second Red-Eye before you put it in with the other. Of course that means having another tank.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX View Post
    You might want to quarantine the second Red-Eye before you put it in with the other. Of course that means having another tank.
    Always quarantine new arrivals.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    I like the look of the Albinos but don't really have room to set up another enclosure. I already have a 10 gal with two FBTs in my daughters room. I add another tank in the house and my spouce will kill me. What do you guys think?
    I think you should get another spouse. Seriously, you can keep a normal red-eye with an albino red-eye. As previously mentioned, quarantine all new arrivals before introducing them to the old frog. That will mean setting up another enclosure, if only temporarily.

bshmerlie

Ok, so I finally got my new frog yesterday and he's a xanthic red eye. I'm a little concerned becuase he is very small (about an inch). I kept him in a cricket keeper last night with a wet paper town and a vine of Pothos. I put about 5 of the smallest crickets I could find in with him and they look like they would easily fit in his mouth. I'm going to post a picture soon. I got him from Reptiles ETC and was wondering if anyone has bought frogs from them? I was told he was CB. He was shipped promptly and packaged well. I'm just concerned he's thin. I'll post a picture soon and you guys let me know what you think. How many crickets should he be eating each day? By the way his name is Emerson and he'll be going in with Waldo my Red Eyed Tree frog after his quaranteen period. Waldo is a male (I'm guessing based on his size) but I'm not sure about Emerson. How long will it take Emerson to get to full size? Emerson moved around a little bit last night going from leaf to leaf but I'm not sure just yet if he ate anything. Also, should I treat him for parasites if he was CB?

Kurt

I would bet money he is captive born. I would also quarantine him in a glass tank. I have been told that polycarbonite can be toxic to red-eyes. For the most part it is anecdotal, but why take the chance?
    I have never done business with Reptiles ETC, so I can not comment one way or another.
    I look forward to seeing a picture of your new frog.

bshmerlie

Yeah, he's already in a one gallon glass tank for quaranteen purposes. I only kept him in the cricket keeper last night. How many crickets per day should he eat becuase he seems a little thin? Any and all advise is appreciated. Waldo seemed so much easier when I got him because he was a little bigger and chunkier. This guy is so thin and small.

Thanks,
    Cheri

Kurt

I gave my juvenile red-eye half a dozen crickets the other night. He ate about three.

Thread Information