Thread: 125 gallon set up whites tree frogs

mommyof4froglovers

Default 125 gallon set up whites tree frogs

We recently got 2 125 gallon fish tanks. One became a cichlid tank and the other my husband is helping put together for our whites tree frogs.

We bought a exoterra fogger and water fall set up today. We will have 2 in the tank when we are done.

We are going to install a false bottom and use a pump to filter the water.

It is going to take us several months because we have to work as time and money allows. But I am hoping they enjoy the upgrade from a 30 gallon tall to a 125 gallon long.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 125 gallon set up whites tree frogs

A 125L works great for cichlids; what species you plan to keep? Don't remember exactly the height of a 125L (20-21 in.?) but think it will be OK to keep White's in and based on a 20 gal. per frog requirement you could keep lots of them in there. Just remember to quarantine any newcomers before releasing in a large enclosure with healthy frogs.

The Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea discuss a false bottom and if by any chance you have an aquarium under gravel filter that size; they work fine and cut down on the build up time. Only thing you have to do is get plastic caps to cover the clear tube risers at a hardware store (furniture leg tips). The tubes provide access to false botton and it's easy to insert flexible clear plastic tubing down the filter tube to drain any collected fluids if required.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build process and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

mommyof4froglovers

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    A 125L works great for cichlids; what species you plan to keep? Don't remember exactly the height of a 125L (20-21 in.?) but think it will be OK to keep White's in and based on a 20 gal. per frog requirement you could keep lots of them in there. Just remember to quarantine any newcomers before releasing in a large enclosure with healthy frogs.

The Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea discuss a false bottom and if by any chance you have an aquarium under gravel filter that size; they work fine and cut down on the build up time. Only thing you have to do is get plastic caps to cover the clear tube risers at a hardware store (furniture leg tips). The tubes provide access to false botton and it's easy to insert flexible clear plastic tubing down the filter tube to drain any collected fluids if required.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your build process and good luck !
    We have African cichlids. They are pretty awesome. The tank came with 2 Angels so we are working on setting up a planted 30g tall for just them.
    Thanks for the link. I think we are going to do 6. I definitely will quarantine. The 3 we have have been with us for 2 years I would hate to loose them. I can't wait till they are in their new home. I think they will love it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

African's are cool, my favorites are Peacocks ! I still keep 3 large Central American hybrids as pets (ea. on a 65G because 2 are agressive males and the third is a berserk Super Red Shock male). Lynn wrote an excellent article discussing quarantine (http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html). Should run it for 30 day minimun (many do double that) with 2 clear fecal's 2 weeks apart.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

mommyof4froglovers

I am so frustrated! We did a lot more research on Bearded Dragon's (my son got a baby one a few months ago). I was told they would never out grow a 55 gallon. I looked it up and almost everyone had theirs in one. We saw a sub adult about a month after we got him and there went my dreams of 125g tank for my whites tree frogs. They will have to deal with a smaller 55 gallon tank. It is still bigger than their 30 gallon and is going to be an awesome set up. We almost have the false bottom, water features and misters set up. I have some plants from their 30 gallon but I have to buy several more. We will probably not get anymore whites unless we happen to strike it rich and can afford to build our own, which is something we have wanted to do for years. My husband and I both want one that is 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. But we will have to own our own home first.

mommyof4froglovers

We have been working all week on the frog tank. We are going to have to take a break till the 1st of September do to lack of money. But we are close enough to done the frogs can be in the tank. These pictures were taken after we put in the egg crate, 3 1/2 inch piping (with holes cut in the bottom), some rocks to help keep the frogs in a safe level of water, and we used repi carpet for the back ground and to go over the egg crate instead of wire mesh. We have a pond pump to work the misting system we are making (still need a few things to finish that and to continually add water to the water fall incase the water level gets to low. You can not see it but under the rocks we have a reptile filter for like frogs and stuff to help clean the water. It says it can go up to 50 gallons though it is rather small. We put in our water fall, that has a fogging system in it also.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mommyof4froglovers

These pictures are of when we were putting in the egg crate and the waterfall. We spent a long time on figuring out which tubes would work.

mommyof4froglovers

This is how the tank looks now. I put a layer of gravel over the repti carpet. I then put down coco husk dirt. After I put the few plants I had in the tank I placed moss over the dirt so that it would not stick to them. We still have to finish the misting system and add a ton more plants but I wanted to get the frogs in as soon as possible. And those things are going to have to wait till next month.

Thread Information