Thread: What is this?

aegillesp

Default What is this?

I've had Derp for about 4-5 months roughly, he's been eating (as far as I can tell, I see him eat sometimes when I watch), He is very active and dives and hides when I tap the glass. he's had this lump on his butt for most of the time I've had him and I noticed today it's twice as big as it used to be! My boyfriend read on-line to try and see if it would come off by wiping it with a q-tip since it might be built up dead skin (he saw it on a forum) but nothing happened. It moved and that was it. I'm not sure if I was supposed to but I picked him up out of his tank, which to total shock I didn't have much of a problem doing to look at his nub. The nub did move when I rubbed it so... I;m not sure what do to do with it... Here are some pictures.

Name:  IMG_2264.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  81.2 KBName:  IMG_2267.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  83.8 KBName:  IMG_2268.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  52.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What is this?

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Looks like Derp is a female. Female ACFs are identified by a swollen cloaca (vent) and the lack of nuptial pads (they look like black gloves on the frog's long fingers). Also, it is worth noting that female ACFs also call.

Although, I haven't seen a cloaca that large on such a small frog. It should be watched and if there is any significant changes, please post the pictures,
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

aegillesp

Thanks for the info! her cloaca used to be half the size of what it is right now. If Derp is indeed a female, how old would the frog be to determine if it was a male? If I wanted to attempt to mate them and all.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Males usually mature in 12 months; females in 9 months.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information