Thread: White Tree Frog Question! URGENT!

VegaIIIsGirl

Default White Tree Frog Question! URGENT!

Hi, I'm worried about my white tree frog...Bubba...He hasn't eaten in a week. And he makes this clicking sound with his mouth. All he does is sleep. He use to have a partner in the cage with him and two weeks ago his little partner escaped and we looked for him everywhere and never found him. Is he missing his partner? I don't think he is sick, but is his behavior normal? We've had him for about 3 months, and I'm not sure how old he is, but he's about 2 to 2 and 1/2 inches. I know he's a baby. Actually I'm not even sure he's a he. He could be a she. Please help! Am I worried for no reason?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wendy

Default Re: White Tree Frog Question! URGENT!

Hi, sorry to hear about your frogs. Unfortunately i'm not an expert, as ive only had my frogs a short while. But I do know that when I asked for advice I needed to answer the questions ive listed below for more info, so the more experienced frog owners can help you.
    1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area

I hope you get some replies soon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi VG,

I am sorry to hear about your escape and the odd behavior of your frog. If you can please answer the questions above we can further assist you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

VegaIIIsGirl

Thank you for responding...So to answer the questions you asked.
    The size of the enclosure is 20" length, 10" width, and 30" high. My boyfriend made the tank himself using a regular 20 gallon tank and plexiglass on top to make it higher. I will include a picture. His humidity stays around 60, and we have a humidifier connected to the cage for misting. His temp stays around 75-80 degrees. His meals consist of small crickets and every once in a while a waxworm. We condition his water with Reptisafe. And his substrate is loose Cocunut Fiber. The temperature is maintained by a heatmat underneath the tank and a 100 watt lightbulb. He last ate two crickets last Thursday. I haven't noticed any poop in his cage. We've owned him for 3 months, he was purchased from Petco. He is now the only frog in the cage. His partner that we got at the same time as him escaped and we have been unable to find him. His cage is in a low traffic area. He is a pet for my 11 year old daughter. She holds him every so often or shows him to her friends when they are here. I wasn't aware I should be giving him any vitamins or calcium, so he hasn't been receiving any.

The pictures I included of the cage, along the bottom we have a running water source, and the white piping on the side is where we can hook up the humidifier for misting. I also included a picture of Bubba as of today. He likes his rock ledge up top of the cage. When I feed him I take him out and put him in a Tupperware bowl with 3-4 crickets. The wax worms if I dangle one in front of his mouth he'll usually snatch it from me. But all he has done the last week is sleep, stay in the same spot and has no interest in eating.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by VegaIIIsGirl View Post
    Thank you for responding...So to answer the questions you asked.
    The size of the enclosure is 20" length, 10" width, and 30" high. My boyfriend made the tank himself using a regular 20 gallon tank and plexiglass on top to make it higher. I will include a picture. His humidity stays around 60, and we have a humidifier connected to the cage for misting. His temp stays around 75-80 degrees. His meals consist of small crickets and every once in a while a waxworm. We condition his water with Reptisafe. And his substrate is loose Cocunut Fiber. The temperature is maintained by a heatmat underneath the tank and a 100 watt lightbulb. He last ate two crickets last Thursday. I haven't noticed any poop in his cage. We've owned him for 3 months, he was purchased from Petco. He is now the only frog in the cage. His partner that we got at the same time as him escaped and we have been unable to find him. His cage is in a low traffic area. He is a pet for my 11 year old daughter. She holds him every so often or shows him to her friends when they are here. I wasn't aware I should be giving him any vitamins or calcium, so he hasn't been receiving any.

The pictures I included of the cage, along the bottom we have a running water source, and the white piping on the side is where we can hook up the humidifier for misting. I also included a picture of Bubba as of today. He likes his rock ledge up top of the cage. When I feed him I take him out and put him in a Tupperware bowl with 3-4 crickets. The wax worms if I dangle one in front of his mouth he'll usually snatch it from me. But all he has done the last week is sleep, stay in the same spot and has no interest in eating.
    It sounds like the tank is pretty well set-up. Very pretty.

I would suggest trying to get your humidity up between 70-80%. Maybe try covering part of the top screen with Saran Wrap, plexiglass, glass, or foil.

I'd recommend not handling him at all or minimally only for chores to minimize his stress, both for holding him and feedings. Will he tong feed for you? I bet he'd learn since he'll take the waxworms from you. Taking him out to feed may be an additional stressor. Or could you maybe put the bowl into the tank for a few hours to feed and then remove it when he's done?

Definitely do get some supplements. You'll need calcium with vitamin D3 and also a multivitamin. Gently dust the food using a baggie or cup. Add a pinch of the powdered supplement and gently shake for a light coating. Dust every other day with the calcium/vita D3 and one day a week with the multivitamin. If not, he will develop deficiencies and will end up having illnesses, deformities, or worse. It's easy to do.

He may be a bit stressed that the other has disappeared or just stressed in general. Cessation of eating is usually either from stress, illness, or change of seasons (such as cold weather/temps). It's a warning sign for us.

How long ago did the other frog escape? You could try and set out a water bowl and see if he returns.

Another way to reduce stress is to cover the back and 2 sides of the tank with a background. There are removable vinyl cling backgrounds that can be easily removed if you ever decide to change it.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

7. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Kurt

The clicking could be a sign of respiratory infection. Hold the frog up to your ear in a very quiet room and listen to its breathing. Listen for clicking or crackling when it breaths in and out. If you hear this, take it to a vet ASAP for antibiotics.

VegaIIIsGirl

Bubba is still not eating and he looks awfully thin. He seems to have a reddish tint in his lighter areas and he stays in one spot on a leaf with his eyes closed and his head tilting up. Every once in awhile, while I am watching him he will open his mouth and take a deep swallow, sucking in hard. He's turned a brownish color and has stayed that way. I have included a new picture of him taken today. If you look at the pictures, he has developed these tiny white spots too.
    We totally cleaned his cage and have been keeping his humidity at 70.
    If I were to buy another frog to put in the cage will he get it sick too?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Canada]

based on your responses you have to take him to the vet ASAP! it is serious, tilted head, open mouth and behavior you described are signs of respiratory infection, he can't breathe and it will be getting worse very soon. I'd take him to emergency clinic if there is a vet who treats frogs, if not find the way to contact such asap.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

VegaIIIsGirl

We also noticed when we cleaned the cage clear stringy sticky long threads of a mucus all over the cage and have pulled the same off of him too. How do I find a vet in my area that helps frogs? And how much does it usually cost?

Nationality
    [Canada]

that is typical too.
    I'd call your local vet ER and ask them. or call Dr. Frye, his contact info in a sticky thread. please don't delay.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

VegaIIIsGirl

We have located a vet in out area that is open tomorrow till 6pm. What causes an upper respiratory infection? How can I prevent it from happening?

Nationality
    [Canada]

lot of things, high humidity, very low humidity, drafts, cold/hot temp changes, low immunity, aspiration of something, etc can be one one of the things or all of the above.

Nationality
    [Canada]

please keep us updated, keeping my fingers crossed for your baby.

16. This member thanks Lija for this post:

VegaIIIsGirl

I will. Thanks for all your help.

Thread Information