Thread: Do American Toads get lonely?

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Do American Toads get lonely?

So i was wondering if American Toads get lonely and if they do does it change their behavior?
    Bufo americanus - Salazar (male)
    R.I.P Coco

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Do American Toads get lonely?

I've wondered that too. I wanted a buddy for my Banjo, cuz she seemed to stare at her reflection when she spotted it, but they're solitary critters in the wild, from what I've read. Except during mating season. Every pic I see of other people's toads, they seem to be hanging out. But Banjo seems fine by herself... I may be putting human emotion onto her. If she had a roommate, she'd probably do the same things, as would the other toad or toads, so it'd seem like they were hanging out as friends... does that make sense? Doesn't change the fact that I'd like another, because they're just so awesome.

*so funny, less than 20min after i wrote this, a guy from months ago who was trying to re-home his toad contacted me again about taking her, asap. not sure what i'm going to do. but a toad in need is not something to ignore...
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

Nationality
    [United States]

I would say it is not necessarily a matter of being lonely. Their natural instinct is to find a mate in springtime to create offspring. Though, some species of toads do coexist well with a buddy .

It is a matter of preference. Would I get a friend for mine if I had one? Yep . Just be sure the species you have is not an aggressive species.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

SweetApples

Crystal, a person with ESP knew you wanted another toad!.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SweetApples View Post
    Crystal, a person with ESP knew you wanted another toad!.
    I feel bad for the guy and I would love to adopt her (Banjo has the room), but i don't want to take advantage of my boyfriend. We agreed no more pets when he relented to letting my girls stay with me. So instead, I'm contacting some people who expressed an interest in Banjo when I had ads up to re-home her. I got one reply out of 3 so far, and sent the pics of this gorgeous gal along with info and a suggestion to join Frog Forum. Toad care coordinator, that's me. He's moving too and can't care for her, would have to let her go. He found his toad in NH, but is currently in a boston suburb a town over from where I went to high school. not toad/frog friendly, and she's been his pet for over 3yrs. I'm definitely willing to make the drive to go get her if she can be adopted. Sadly, i don't think my bf would buy it if my one toad was suddenly and quietly two toads. Mitoadsis would be a hard sell.
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, thats a good question. I have spotted my toad trying to jump at her reflection in the glass. I just let go my pet leopard frog so now I have an empty ten gallon. Im going to try to get a male toad for Lola. (My toad)
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

But what's one more toad.....so small, so tiny, you don't have to get a bigger viv for 2, plus she won't make any noise..........he'll never know. DO-IT DO-IT DO-IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    I feel bad for the guy and I would love to adopt her (Banjo has the room), but i don't want to take advantage of my boyfriend. We agreed no more pets when he relented to letting my girls stay with me. So instead, I'm contacting some people who expressed an interest in Banjo when I had ads up to re-home her. I got one reply out of 3 so far, and sent the pics of this gorgeous gal along with info and a suggestion to join Frog Forum. Toad care coordinator, that's me. He's moving too and can't care for her, would have to let her go. He found his toad in NH, but is currently in a boston suburb a town over from where I went to high school. not toad/frog friendly, and she's been his pet for over 3yrs. I'm definitely willing to make the drive to go get her if she can be adopted. Sadly, i don't think my bf would buy it if my one toad was suddenly and quietly two toads. Mitoadsis would be a hard sell.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Solitary organisms might not be able to feel loneliness as we humans interpret it. However, come breeding season, their hormones will kick in and they will produce a desire to find a mate and procreate. Sometimes that includes all kinds of social behaviors to include calling, displays, and even deadly aggressiveness to competing males.

Your toad is fine and will will a long live alone. But; if you want (and the toads are similar sized and tolerant) can keep 2 or more as long as the enclosure is big enough for all. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    But what's one more toad.....so small, so tiny, you don't have to get a bigger viv for 2, plus she won't make any noise..........he'll never know. DO-IT DO-IT DO-IT.
    (i did it.) just got back.
    wild hearts..."

Thread Information