Thread: Whites Tree Frog Red Leg?

SmileyB

Default Whites Tree Frog Red Leg?

I am so worried, we finally got a Whites Tree Frog and bought a Exo-Terra 18x18x36 tank for him so he would be happy. I know it is a he because he has the large pads on his hands. Anyway I noticed today when I was cleaning his cage (I have had him for about 3 weeks now) that the back of his legs from where his butt to his legs are are reddish. I am not sure if it was there before or I just noticed it because I read up on red-leg disease the other day.

Either way I am scared that he might be dying and we have fallen in love with the poor fella. I am hoping that this is just me being irrational and reading too much on sicknesses. He doesn't seem to be lethargic we hear him croaking every night. Anyway any help could be appreciated. I am so worried about our tree frog we thank you and so does squeeker!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

XmusJaxonFlaxonWaxon

Is he eating? Does he spend most of the time on the ground?

SmileyB

Default Re: Whites Tree Frog Red Leg?

He is eating, he sleeps on the ground a lot, but he jumps around at night, he likes to be really hidden so he hides on the ground. Today he actually slept on the glass, but it's also the first time I noticed the red part on the back of his legs.

XmusJaxonFlaxonWaxon

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyB View Post
    He is eating, he sleeps on the ground a lot, but he jumps around at night, he likes to be really hidden so he hides on the ground. Today he actually slept on the glass, but it's also the first time I noticed the red part on the back of his legs.
    How are the conditions in the tank? (Humitidy, temps, light fixtures, etc.) Pics of the frog would be helpful as well.

SmileyB

The tank stays between 70-80 daytime temps, and 60-70% humidity, with 60-70 night time temps. The tank is 18x18x36 (tall) exo terra. He's eating crickets, and I feed the crickets wheat germ, some leattuce, and green beans.

https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/703/zxv4.jpg
    https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/46/y1ju.jpg

Here's what I got, I don't want to be too invasive, I already picked him up once today when I cleaned the tank.

The stuff on him is the coconut substrate, he was playing around in it diving after crickets.

XmusJaxonFlaxonWaxon

Well, from what I can tell, that doesn't seem too bad. Is it a bright red, or just that light pink/red? Red leg is usually a bright red, with a bunch of veins and everything.

SmileyB

a darker red, not like bright like candy apple, but not pink, like a dark tint red, it goes from about where his knees are to his rear, it doesn't extend anywhere else just that area.

XmusJaxonFlaxonWaxon

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyB View Post
    a darker red, not like bright like candy apple, but not pink, like a dark tint red, it goes from about where his knees are to his rear, it doesn't extend anywhere else just that area.
    Well, it's definitely hard to tell from the pic. Whites Tree Frogs have a pink/red type coloration to them on their legs and belly, which could be what you're describing (my two frogs have always had that) The best course of action right now would be to monitor the frog and look for any signs of stress (not eating, staying low to the ground, etc.) and monitor the color. Red leg is generally caused by cold and poor housing conditions, so if it does get any worse, take apart and clean the entire enclosure. If he perks up and the redness goes away, you're good. Unfortunately, with amphibians, illnesses are commonly lethal, so if a problem does arise, make sure you act on it quickly. But to me, he looks pretty good. As long as you keep the enclosure clean, he eats, and he's active, you should be ok. Be sure to keep us updated! (If you could get a better pic of the legs, that would help a lot) Here's a few links for more info: http://m.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Sick...ed-Leg-Disease
    http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/doctor/sick.html

Thread Information