Thread: Dubias and Madagascan hissing together?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Dubias and Madagascan hissing together?

Who here thinks its ok to breed Dubia roaches and Madagascan hissing cockroaches together in the same box. I already have a Dubia colony and hissing roaches are huge so I wanted to try and breed them too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Dubias and Madagascan hissing together?

Short answer: Its possible to keep them together, but they will not be as prolific as they would be housed with only their own species. If you can provide lots of adequate space and plentiful food and moisture to keep competition for resources down, they will fare better. Don't be surprised if you see some added cannibalism and stress... again, while it can be done and breeding colonies can be accomplished, they will always fare better with their own kin. There are some factors we cannot account for with care practices alone (i.e. pheromone production).

There is some detail in this thread (post #2) that discusses keeping the two together.
    http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeders-live-frozen-culturing-etc/21699-dubia-cannibals.html
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

demon amphibians

Default Re: Dubias and Madagascan hissing together?

Also if you do keep them together sorting them out will be much more difficult it would be better to keep them separate for that reason alone not to mention everything Jeff mentioned. The environment you keep them in will pretty much be the same along with foods. Seperating breeders from young and other size nymphs will always prove better breeding for both species for many reasons. Space being a big reason. Not only must you consider how well your hissers breed but also consider how well your dubia will breed with the hissers in with them. It is always a two way street. If you have 100 of each in a 25 gal rubbermaid and you arent concerned with sorting you may see no differences at all. But when dealing with larger numbers it will be a world of difference. I have yet to conduct my experiment on the cannibalization part. But it will be coming soon. When i do have that answer i will attach it to this thread.

Thread Information