Thread: A New Problem Has Arised

JayFrog

Default A New Problem Has Arised

For the past week and a half, one of my frogs has gotten a skinnier and I just saw her poop something white and stringy. Her behavior has changed as well, she is now always at the surface of the tank. Fortunately she still does eat but she looks a bit fragile. I have no idea what to do =T

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A New Problem Has Arised

Hello Jay! Your frog could be suffering from internal parasites. Could you please answer these questions as best as possible to try and narrow down the problem? Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. How old is the frog?

16. How long have you owned him/her?

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)?

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

JayFrog

I kind of knew that that may be the reason.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

3 1/2 gallons, I'd say around 65~70% of the tank is filled with water

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

Two African Clawed Frogs

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

Tap water, Tetrafaun Aquasafe water conditioner

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

76°F, no heater, only room temperature.

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

pH: 7.4, Ammonia: .25 ppm, Nitrites: .5 ppm, Nitrates: .25 ppm (still in cycling phase)

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?

Tom Mini Internal Filter 45gph

7. Substrate type?

1-inch of sand on half of the tank, bottomless on the other.

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

Three live plants. First rinsed them through tap water, then put them in dechlorinated water and allowed to sit, then put into tank.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

Main food is Aquafrog and tadpole food, every now and then I feed them black worms. I feed every other day.

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

None

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

No light setup

12. When is the last time frog ate?

Yesterday around 8PM

13. Have you found poop lately?

Yes, today, the female frog pooped normal, and about 3 hours later I saw her pooping something white and stringy. The male frog pooped around the same time.

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

I will get them up as soon as my phone charges, no battery.

15. How old is the frog?

I bought the female frog last year June, and the male frog from last year July. Without prior knowledge I can't really say how old they are, 1 year+

16. How long have you owned him/her?

The female frog I've owned for about a year now, and the male frog 11 months.

17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

Not sure, but I did buy them in my local pet store.

18. Any medications in the water (treatment dosis and for how long)?

None

19. Any salt in water (how much)?

No salt added to the water.

20. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

It's setup in my room, so I would guess low traffic.

21. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

Currently I'm cycling the tank, so I change around 25%~50% of the water on a daily basis depending on the ammonia and nitrite concentration.

JayFrog

Current Symptoms:
    - Always on the surface of the water
    - Pooped something white and stringy, poops normal as well
    - Still eats
    - Excessive shedding (started noticing this as well).
    - Looks like she's losing weight
    Last edited by JayFrog; June 17th, 2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Nationality
    [United States]

Two possible and maybe related issues in regards to enclosure. Tank cycling can be stressing frogs (have ammonia and nitrites). Also, frogs are overcrowded (15-20G recommended for 2 ACFs); unless you actually have African Dwarf Frogs (ADFs). What size are your frogs snout to vent (SVL) and do their front legs have webbing between toes?

If they have parasites; above water quality issue might have stressed frogs and with lowered immune system the parasites have an upper hand. Check with local veterinaries for one with amphib experience to conduct fecals on both frogs. If none, try to get in touch with Dr. Frye and see if he can do them. Reason for fecal is that it could be a protozoan or a worm infestation and they require different medications. Let us know about the species and size, good luck .

JayFrog

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Two possible and maybe related issues in regards to enclosure. Tank cycling can be stressing frogs (have ammonia and nitrites). Also, frogs are overcrowded (15-20G recommended for 2 ACFs); unless you actually have African Dwarf Frogs (ADFs). What size are your frogs snout to vent (SVL) and do their front legs have webbing between toes?

I have clawed frogs, and I'm thinking that as well, but it doesn't explain the the fecal that I saw =T. The female frog SVL is about 1 inch and the male frog about 1-1/2 inches or less. They have webbing on their toes but not their hands.

If they have parasites; above water quality issue might have stressed frogs and with lowered immune system the parasites have an upper hand. Check with local veterinaries for one with amphib experience to conduct fecals on both frogs. If none, try to get in touch with Dr. Frye and see if he can do them. Reason for fecal is that it could be a protozoan or a worm infestation and they require different medications. Let us know about the species and size, good luck .

I was thinking of going to a local vet but I have no experience in going to one, I'm afraid of being overcharged.
    Name:  frog1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  43.8 KBName:  frog2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  39.8 KBName:  frog3.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  39.7 KBName:  frog4.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  40.0 KBName:  frog5.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  46.0 KB

First image and second image: Male
    Third, Fourth, Fifth image: Female (sick)

JayFrog

Alright, I definitely think she has internal parasites, there was a little bit of un-normal poop I got a turkey baster to remove it and put it in a cup, I saw a couple of little strings. I think I'm going to take it them to the vet as soon as I can. Will keep you posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Those on pics are ACFs. Since they are together will need to medicate both. Hope all goes well with vet and meds !

Thread Information