Thread: Fluorescent ACF

garysibio

Default Fluorescent ACF

A local pet store has started selling ACFs that are similar to the fluorescent tropical fish you sometimes see. I assume that these have been genetically manipulated but I'm having a hard time finding any information on them.

I bought several (they come in blue, green and red) and they are doing fine. They are small and currently in a tank with some guppies. They are quite active and are feeding fine on freeze-dried tubifex and commercial shrimp pellets. I assume they also eat some of the flake food I put in for the guppies.

Does anyone know anything about these or know where I can find out about them? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Fluorescent ACF

Although I know the genetic labs that created the Glo-Fish (Danios, Tetras, etc.) have experimented with other animals, have not seen ACFs or other amphibians for sale yet.

What I have seen locally are neon colored dyed (or color injected) ADF and ACFs. Dyed frogs (and fish) are dipped in a caustic solution to remove their protective body slime and then dipped into a dye. Color injected frogs (and fish) have their bodies pierced with huge needles (for their size) and injected with dyes . This processes are painful and harmful to a frog and those animals that make it, usually live shortened lives .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

garysibio

Wow! I wasn't aware that was going on. I certainly hope that is not what happened to these frogs. If I find out that it was, I will never go into that store again.

How long has this been going on? I first saw these about two weeks ago.

Nationality
    [United States]

Fish and frogs have been abused like that and worse for many years now. They also painfully tattoo hearts, words, etc. into the fish and frog bodies in order to take a profit. It's all very sad .

If you can take a picture of your frogs it will be easier to tell what they did to them. Or maybe you can contact the store and ask them?

garysibio

I have a couple of photos but they're at home and I'm at work right now. I'll post them when I get home.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by garysibio View Post
    A local pet store has started selling ACFs that are similar to the fluorescent tropical fish you sometimes see. I assume that these have been genetically manipulated but I'm having a hard time finding any information on them.

Does anyone know anything about these or know where I can find out about them? Thanks.
    There's a long and interesting two-page discussion on this topic (from 2009) at: Color Injected Clawed Frogs - Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum

garysibio

Thank you, Geoff

garysibio

I wasn't sure if I could post an actual photo to a forum post but here's a link: Colored African Clawed Frog (2013-06-12 22-47-37) | by | RedGage

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]

That last photo does not look like a genetically modified animal and appears result of dye injection .

garysibio

That sucks. I won't be going to that pet store any more.

Hi,

this is just a general statement, nothing against you: even if they were genetically manipulated rather than dyed- nobody would know about the risks of methods like this. Honestly, I simply donīt understand why people buy animals that are so obviously manipulated in either way. It is so very likely that genetical manipulation (I donīt even think it is possible to create such unnatural colors that way) as well as dying, tattooing or whatever is harmful to them

That being said, all you can do now is to care for them adequately (i.e. big enough tank, good water care, high quality food etc.); this will maximize their chance to live a long, peaceful life. Itīs good that youīre shocked about what is done to profit from selling life creatures; this will make you wary and prevent you from supporting this any further. If you keep them properly, your frogs might still have a happy life There are much information on ACF care on this forum. Good luck!
    Amphibians kept:
    9.10.3 Hymenochirus boettgeri
    2.4.0 Xenopus laevis
    0.1.0 Hypselotriton orientalis
    3.0.0 Hyloxalus azureiventris
    4.1.0 Pipa parva
    2.1.2 Bombina orientalis
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    2.2.0 Bombina orientalis

garysibio

No offense taken, Filis. The truth is I agree with you 100%. I'm not even a big fan of creating various morphs the old fashioned way.

The first time I saw these frogs in the store I didn't buy them. I broke down later because they piqued my scientific curiosity. Believing at the time that they were the result of genetics and not dyes, and knowing that I would never release them into the wild under any circumstances, I bought a few to investigate.

garysibio

I thought I might give you an update on these frogs. I started out with five but one died after about two weeks. The others are doing quite well. Three of them are getting pretty large while the other is substantially larger than when I got it but not as large as the others. All are eating very well (shrimp pellets, freeze-dried tubifex and flake fish food). I thought the dye might fade as they grew but this has not been the case.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm surprised the dye has not faded! Good to know 4 of them are still alive in your care . Can you please post pics of them even if from cellphone? Thank you !

Nationality
    [Canada]

You really should get them on some decent food. Key to giving these guys a good rest of their lives is good food and great water quality.
    Use pellets meant for amphibians or aquatic turtles, avoid any and all food that is freeze dried, fish food/flakes have no nutritional value of substance for these frogs.
    You can feed in addition to a good pellet: frozen/thawed meaty foods like mysis shrimp, tilipia, salmon. Live earthworms are also great food source.

Nationality
    [United States]

Last pics look like regular albino ACFs !

Thread Information