Thread: First ever terrarium! 10 Gallon Pacman tank!

Default First ever terrarium! 10 Gallon Pacman tank!

Constructed in about 1 month!

Name:  Tank 1.jpg
Views: 5705
Size:  75.6 KBName:  tank 2.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  102.0 KBName:  tank 3.jpg
Views: 2794
Size:  79.5 KBName:  tank 4.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  85.0 KB

Background is basically Plantation Earth covered great stuff. Plants are 2 Tillandsias and an Orchid. Ridge of Exo-terra Terrarium Moss along the top of the background to help humidity. False bottom made of a plastic aquarium divider bound in plastic mosquito netting. Same netting as substrate divider. Gravel as drainage layer.

Substrate is Exo-terra Plantation Soil. Wood is just random aquarium driftwood I found at the store. White pebbles were left-overs from a table-top Warhammer scenery construction project. Humidity is about Hi 60s to Low 80s. Temps run about 27-30 degrees cel day and 24-27 night.

I'd appreciate feedback from more experienced members! I wanna know if I'm doing anything wrong!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First ever terrarium! 10 Gallon Pacman tank!

Hi Jerah! Already made some comments in your other thread. I really like your tank and maybe will try to do something nicer for my Fresita (Strawberry Pineapple Albino) in the future.

One thing I note is that plants do need light; but albinos skin and eyes are sensible to it. How are you dealing with that? My Fresita's tank was heated previously with a moonlight and now with a red one; but doubt either one provides quality light to raise plants. Also, how hard is for you to clean tank substrate with all the decor? Any tricks to it? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ah, the thing is, heating is really not a problem at all, me being from Malaysia, right smack in the equator. Our ambient temp and humidity is already very much in range of what pacmans need. My plants get indirect sunlight from the open window in my room, that's about it. So far, I've only done spot cleaning and daily water changes (only had the baby for a week!) but I'd prob do full substrate changes once every 3 months or so.

RockyGurly

I love the way you used the big piece of wood and the background to create a large hiding space! It's such a cute little setup, and looks good to me The background is getting me inspired to take on some new background projects now that summer is out 8)

Nationality
    [United States]

Great looking tank! Only things I could see that may be a future problem are; those white stones look like they might be small enough to be accidentally snatched up once your little one gets bigger. If your gonna tong feed risk is significantly lower but just throwing it out there. Also I think 3 months is pushing it for substrate change. Should be done monthly, if you mix the substrate around and pack it back down weekly you could probably get away with 1.5-2 months
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Quote Originally Posted by RockyGurly View Post
    I love the way you used the big piece of wood and the background to create a large hiding space! It's such a cute little setup, and looks good to me The background is getting me inspired to take on some new background projects now that summer is out 8)
    Thanks! It was a sudden inspiration sorta thing from watching youtube videos. Do share shots of your setups when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Great looking tank! Only things I could see that may be a future problem are; those white stones look like they might be small enough to be accidentally snatched up once your little one gets bigger. If your gonna tong feed risk is significantly lower but just throwing it out there. Also I think 3 months is pushing it for substrate change. Should be done monthly, if you mix the substrate around and pack it back down weekly you could probably get away with 1.5-2 months
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, that's the plan actually, the stones are there just to help the lil critter get in and out of the pool for now.
    Noted for the substrate change, I'll start stocking up on those eco-earth bricks! Thanks for the feedback, learnt something new!

Thread Information