Thread: Plant recommendations for Ranitomeya Imitator? (Peruvian plants)

Default Plant recommendations for Ranitomeya Imitator? (Peruvian plants)

Hey there,

I've built up my first vivarium! It's a very small 12x12x12, but it is only for a year or two years at most. For this reason, after much research, the only species that would live happily in that tank would be a pair of the tiny R.Imitator. Naturally, because they are arboreal, and my tank isn't high, I need to take advantage of as much 'top' space as I can, so that I can successfully care for the needs of the frogs. I understand that some people may tell me off for not getting a bigger vivarium, or the like. But if it is done properly, this particular species will not have a problem.

So, now that the background and substrate is ready (I've already tested for humidity/temp and I have an ample food source ready), now I need to plant it, heavily.

However, do to my limited knowledge on the topic, I have no idea where to start, especially living in the UK.

I've tried dartfrog.co.uk, but they're quite expensive and I'll go there for a bromilead or a fancy looking plant (the main eye-catchers). I also need a Xanthosoma for breeding purposes.

I've come here to humbly ask for assistance, I need to know some 'good' filler out plants. Plants which give it volume. The tank will have three major plants, as previously stated, I just need to fill it in. They will also need to thrive in very high humidity conditions.

I have access to a garden centre, and the internet.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    φθεγξώμεθ᾽, εὔγηρυνἐμὰνἀοιδάν,
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    ἡνίχ᾽ὁκραιπαλόκωμος Aristophanes, Frogs: 209-220
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    χωρεῖκατ᾽ἐμὸντέμενοςλαῶνὄχλος.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

beyond colour

Default Re: Plant recommendations for Ranitomeya Imitator? (Peruvian plants)

Sorry i find it funny when people say their frog will be fine in a 12'' cube because its "arboreal" lol . How much space does an aboreal frog use in the wild? Just because they are aboreal doesnt mean they will not or do not climb. It would be like taking you and putting you in a space the size of small restroom and saying you will live and reproduce just fine. Not trying to rain on your parade just want to point it out. Frogs will live for years and reproduce in a glass box if housed properly. I have a friend that her oldest pair will be 15 years out of water this year. I use empty film cans for breeding my imitators not bromilead. The problem i have found with bromilead is they do not always hold water like they should and if you have to take out the brom to remove a tad it is a challange. The empty film canisters will always hold water and are the perfect size for them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond colour View Post
    Sorry i find it funny when people say their frog will be fine in a 12'' cube because its "arboreal" lol . How much space does an aboreal frog use in the wild? Just because they are aboreal doesnt mean they will not or do not climb. It would be like taking you and putting you in a space the size of small restroom and saying you will live and reproduce just fine. Not trying to rain on your parade just want to point it out. Frogs will live for years and reproduce in a glass box if housed properly. I have a friend that her oldest pair will be 15 years out of water this year. I use empty film cans for breeding my imitators not bromilead. The problem i have found with bromilead is they do not always hold water like they should and if you have to take out the brom to remove a tad it is a challange. The empty film canisters will always hold water and are the perfect size for them. Good luck.

I'm going to disregard the first half of your comment. I'm aware that a 12x12x12 cube is small, but I do believe I mentioned that it is for a year or so, and that I'm putting in a very small species. I've spoken to people who have housed them in the same cube, and they turned out fine. Sure, I could buy a 1000x1000x1000, maybe that would make them happy. Heck, as you said, they're used to living in the wild, why not keep it that way!

I'm not questioning your knowledge, but I am aware that it is on the small side. Keep to the question please.

I'll take the empty film canisters into consideration. I've read a lot about them, many people seem to use them.

EDIT: I'm getting the two frogs, regardless. They'll be moving into a MUCH larger tank when I find stable accommodation. I'm currently finishing my under-graduate degree, then I'll be doing my Master's. The frogs will be kept in this tank until my Master's has ended. During my PhD, I'll have a secure house to live in (4-5 years), then I'll be getting a very nicely sized tank. I despise it when this happens, I'm aware of the ramifications of having a small tank. But I've chosen to do it, and I accept any consequences. Now, instead of telling me to get a bigger tank or moaning, I think that we should be thinking about making the tank as best as possible for them, because they're going in there.

I apologise for a direct attitude, but not everybody is 30+ and has a job, and a massive house. Sure, I could wait 5-10 years until I get a frog, but I've made up my mind. A lot of people say it is too small, a lot of people say it will do for this particular species. And this is only temporary, I have a 60G tank in storage, which will be used when the time is right.

I'll reiterate, the cube stays for now, let's try and think about what plants are good for the frogs...

Here is a good example: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/mem...-vivarium.html
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

beyond colour

If your going to keep your frogs in such a small tank thats your choice im not trying to change your mind but you cant justify keeping them in it because you say they are aboreal. I understand how it is when your in school and trying to finish your degree. I kept frogs when i was and still keep some frogs in smaller vivs than i would like. Never said it couldnt be done. Im just letting others who read this know its not ok to keep frogs in small tanks because someone said they are aboreal and dont require more room. Last i checked this was a pulic forum and a lot of new people to the hobby read the post. Im sorry you disagree with my statment. Again best of luck with your frogs.

Ah, I understand the misunderstanding now. It is on both behalves.

I didn't say that just because they were arboreal, they didn't need less space. I meant that, because they are arboreal, they need more 'climbing' space, thus the need for more plants in the upper-region of the tank, which is currently bare.

I do apologise, this may be because I'm not fully aware of the terminology. I understand arboreal as an animal who likes to dwell in trees, ie, above the ground. If in this hobby, it entails something else, I humbly apologise.

I want to reiterate that I was not trying to justify the small space with 'they're arboreal so they need less space'. Definitely not.

I understand this is a public forum but this is going a bit off-topic. I hope you understand the misunderstanding.

I'm currently looking at a man-made acrylic 'extension', that I can add to the top (another 12 inches).
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

beyond colour

I had to reread the original post i am sorry there was a misunderstanding on my part. I was trying to say that aboreal species need more room than a 12" cube. Its still early here and im still on my first cup of coffee, however its no excuse for my miscommunication. Aboreal as well as Terrestrial will climb all over the viv. no matter what size tank you use. And you cant justify the size of the tank by saying they are aboreal or terrestrial because both species will utilize the intire volume of the tank. Adding more foliage as well as a three sided background with ledges will increase the surface area for sure (for both). For a good background plant that will cover the walls consider Oak Leaf Creeping Fig - Ficus pumila 'Quercifolia'

BonnieLorraine

You guys have already gone over the tank issue, my next thought is how on earth are you going to fit a Xanthosoma in there? Those are rather large plants, with even the "small" ones needing a vivarium of 3'-4' to fit in. You could try some of the smaller aroids, there are some tiny species of Philodendron, including one just labeled ecuador. I'm not sure what you have available in the UK, you could try some planted fish tank groups though if they're around, there are lots of smallish aquatic plants you can switch over to growing emersed. Are you going for a Peruvian biotope, or just want it to look good?

DartfrogDan

i got my plants from eBay My World - terraworldtropicals cheap and got here relativley quickly, i also bought a pothos from Just Airplants hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieLorraine View Post
    You guys have already gone over the tank issue, my next thought is how on earth are you going to fit a Xanthosoma in there? Those are rather large plants, with even the "small" ones needing a vivarium of 3'-4' to fit in. You could try some of the smaller aroids, there are some tiny species of Philodendron, including one just labeled ecuador. I'm not sure what you have available in the UK, you could try some planted fish tank groups though if they're around, there are lots of smallish aquatic plants you can switch over to growing emersed. Are you going for a Peruvian biotope, or just want it to look good?

I'm currently designing a project to expand the vivarium upwards 12''. I'll be using thick acrylic and I'm currently researching the best adhesives (et cetera). So space isn't that much of a problem. I understand your claim though, a xanthosoma would be quite large, so I just have have to stick with a canister for breeding purposes.

In regards to the peruvian biotope, that was my original thought. But now after seeing the price, I may stick to the amateurish 'cool look'

Many thanks for your input
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Quote Originally Posted by DartfrogDan View Post
    i got my plants from eBay My World - terraworldtropicals cheap and got here relativley quickly, i also bought a pothos from Just Airplants hope this helps

I saw this on the UK page postes yesterday. What a brilliant source for plants! Just what I needed, a small bundle of adequate plants to give the vivarium that 'volume' that I needed. Now that space is less of an issue (read above: 12' extension), I can be more freer.

Thanks for the input.
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ,
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It would seem you guys resolved the conflict before it got out of hand.

Good job! Keep it civil people

Thread Information