Thread: My first vivarium build

Default My first vivarium build

Hey guys, new to the forum here. I have just started to build my first vivarium, and going to keep my first set of PDF, I already have it planted and everything ready except for the frogs of course. I have a few questions if anyone could help me out though.

First things first, I decided since this is my first attempt at a build I was first going to make what I'm calling my "trial" tank. I had a 10 gallon tank lying around so I went ahead and made a background with GS and eco-earth coco fiber. Finally got all the other supplies shortly thereafter and am going with the hydroton false bottom with ABG mix and sphagnum moss. I am first making sure the plants and everything grow just fine and I get the temperatures and humidity correct before I invest in some frogs. Hopefully I have done enough research that this part goes smoothly. Now with that being said, I am going to start working on setting up a background in a 18x18x24 exo terra that I will wanna transition into and use as the permanent terrarium.

Which brings me to all of my questions:
    1. Is waiting and growing plants in a "trial" terrarium a good idea, and will i have any problems transplanting them into a new larger tank once I have it prepared?
    2. If I am planning on waiting a little bit to put the frog into the terrarium anyway, would it be better to get one now and just quarantine it until I am sure the tank is at the perfect settings?
    3. As far as springtails go, since they are like a "janitor" should I get them now in the tank without the frogs or wait until the frogs are available as well so the population of springtail is kept under control?
    4. What is the best way to create a pond within the terrarium and is it even worth it for the aesthetic effect?

Like I said, this is my first vivarium, I would love some feedback on it as well. I went ahead and attached two pictures. I have a screen cover so at first I was having humidity issues but I noticed some people had used suran wrap and that seems to do the trick. First pic is before the humidity issue, 2nd one is after i put suran wrap over the screen. I have not gotten a temp/humidity monitor yet but I will be picking them up tomorrow hopefully. Let me know if there is anything I can change or should change in this particular viv. Thanks guys.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	54686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(1).jpg 
Views:	699 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	54688
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My first vivarium build

Quote Originally Posted by obsoccerplaya View Post

1. Is waiting and growing plants in a "trial" terrarium a good idea, and will i have any problems transplanting them into a new larger tank once I have it prepared?
    2. If I am planning on waiting a little bit to put the frog into the terrarium anyway, would it be better to get one now and just quarantine it until I am sure the tank is at the perfect settings?
    3. As far as springtails go, since they are like a "janitor" should I get them now in the tank without the frogs or wait until the frogs are available as well so the population of springtail is kept under control?
    4. What is the best way to create a pond within the terrarium and is it even worth it for the aesthetic effect?...
    Welcome to FF! Many members start with a small vivarium first. Most plants when transplanted suffer shock; but if conditions are right and plants are healthy, they will recover fast.

Quarantine new frogs that will go to a vivarium is always a good idea and pretty much a requirement. If frogs are sick they will contaminate the vivarium and you will have to tear it down and get rid of anything that can't be sterilized. 30 days and couple clean fecal tests 14 days apart is the minimun I would go with.

You can add your janitors to the tank now. They will live off soil and plant detritus and adjust their population accordingly.

There are many threads in the vivarium section that include a pond. To me the pond is OK if it helps the frog needs for humidity or swimming. A well designed water feature adds to overall aesthetics; but a bad designed one can be an eyesore or create problems in enclosure. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello,

Not much to add here as Carlos has taken very good care to answer all of your questions.
    I'll throw my 2 cents in.

1) Is waiting and growing plants in a "trial" terrarium a good idea, and will i have any problems transplanting them into a new larger tank once I have it prepared?

It's a fine idea. However there will still be a little adjustment period when you transplant them.

2) If I am planning on waiting a little bit to put the frog into the terrarium anyway, would it be better to get one now and just quarantine it until I am sure the tank is at the perfect settings?

Sure... they are always in quarantine longer then expected ....anyway ! At least mine are anyway ?

"one" I think you will be wanting more than one ?

3)As far as springtails go, since they are like a "janitor" should I get them now in the tank without the frogs or wait until the frogs are available as well so the population of springtail is kept under control?

YES! Add now...the sooner the better. Springtails will never get out of control. The frogs will make sure of that

4) What is the best way to create a pond within the terrarium and is it even worth it for the aesthetic effect?

Hummmmm, sorry I have not ,personally, made a 'pond' for darts.
    This is a question for the master of dart frog builds: "Bill"
    View Profile: deranged chipmunk - Frog Forum
    I will take the liberty to say he would be more than happy to help.

Good to meet you and welcome to Frog Forum
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

5. This member thanks flybyferns for this post:

a trial terrarium is an awesome idea. it gives you the time to work out the kinks in the system, but remember, every tank is different and the bigger tank will have a separate set of issues that you will need to tweak on. as far as transplanting, as long as conditions are extremely similar to each other, the plants will have zero acclimation time. but if not you may see some die off and regrowth. transplanting from one viv to the other is not like taking a plant from the supplier and sticking it into a high humidity environment, unless it's going from on extreme to another, like 60% humidity to 90% humidity.

i wait to get my frogs until i finish their PERMANENT home. then give them 30 days in quarantine while i tweak the viv out. putting them in quarantine now and them putting them in the smaller tank until you move them to the bigger tank will just cause unneeded stress on them with the second move. you can always purchase now and quarantine until the permanent home is ready. 30 days is just a guideline. they can be in the quarantine tank longer, provided their needs are properly met in it.

1. Quote Originally Posted by obsoccerplaya View Post
      As far as springtails go, since they are like a "janitor" should I get them now in the tank without the frogs or wait until the frogs are available as well so the population of springtail is kept under control?
    2. if this is not their permanent home, i wouldn't bother with springtails in it., unless you want to go through the extra step to remove the substrate and soak it in water to remove the springtails (they float) and transfer them to the permanent frog home. i would seed the permanent home for 30 days to let them get established, and keep a culture ongoing at all times. tha way, when the frogs devour the ones in the viv, you can add more.
    3. Quote Originally Posted by obsoccerplaya View Post
      What is the best way to create a pond within the terrarium and is it even worth it for the aesthetic effect?
      ponds are easy to create and can be accomplished in a multitude of ways. they can be as complex or as simple as you are comfortable with. they do create more maintenance. only you can decide if it is worth it for the aesthetic effect. i love a naturalistic looking viv, so all my tanks have water in them.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri