Thread: My whites tree frog may be sick, but I am not sure...

bookspans

Unhappy My whites tree frog may be sick, but I am not sure...

He just seems really slow and he is not very active even durring the night. It seems as though he has lost the stick on his toes because he cannot climb the glass or on anything that only a tree frog could get too. his breathing is slightly irregular. I have had him for about 3-4 weeks, and I have him in in exo-terra large wide (36x18x18) with 3 Green Tree Frogs and 6 Fire-Belly Toads so i am not sure if there may be something he got from another frog. Everyone else seems fine except for him. I have heard him call, but he hasnt made much noise in about a week. He looks fine, no bloating, lesions, or any other irregularities that would throw a red flag. Is there anything I can do that might help him perk up and get better?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My whites tree frog may be sick, but I am not sure...

Hello and welcome to FF. First of all read this article and pay note to White Tree frog enclosure requirements: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea . Then set-up a hospital/quarantine enclosure and move it there ensuring all it's requirements are met. If frog is eating, continue feeding and observe for any signs of improvement or if health worsens. There is a big possibility your frog is suffering from stress and/or toxic syndrome due to other frogs exposure. If your White's get's worse, a visit to a veterinary with frog experience is recommended ASAP.

Second, please note that keeping different frog species in the same enclosure is not recommended unless you are an expert and the enclosure is huge. Frogs have different needs in respect to temperature, humidity, etc. and some like the FBTs produce toxins that will get the other frogs sick. The daytime temperature for White's (85F) is above the range the GTFs need to prosper (78-82F); and both are above what FBT's need (68-75F). Can't see how a single enclosure of that size can provide for the needs off all your frogs without one or 2 species suffering from it . Recommend you house your frogs separated.

Normally we ask the following questions to try and figure out what's causing the problem. Since you have 3 frog species within same enclosure it's really not possible to direct you one way without going against the other frogs. I'm going to paste them here so you can see important care points and try to correct all you can once you separate frogs. Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

Last edited by Mentat; June 13th, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Add “Trouble in the Frog Enclosure” questions.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

The Fluffy Injun

Default My whites tree frog may be sick, but I am not sure...

From my experience, the FBT hang out in the water and the water will leech the toxins from them and pollute the water, your WTF will soak in the water to rehydrate themselves and thus absorbing the toxins. So my guess is your frogs been poisoned.

I learned this lesson the hard way, just so you know. Wasn't until I asked around that I found out about the FBTs toxin

You should probably move one to another tank and change the water a lot to get all the toxin out.

Hope this helps!

Thread Information