Thread: Reliable, mountable hygrometer

Pyxiefan001

Default Reliable, mountable hygrometer

Can anyone recommend me a GOOD hygrometer that can also be securely mounted to the side of the inside of the cage? I have one of those Acurites from Lowes right now, but no way to keep it on the glass. I know the right placement for a hygrometer is in the top corner opposite the humidity source (like my repti fogger, which I'm considering getting rid of). I tried using some double-sided tape from a hardware store (rated up to 10 pounds, even), placing it on the back of the unit, but it fell down. Thank goodness Frog was on the opposite of the cage in her water basin or it might have fell right on top of her! I'm looking now at ordering a Fluker's digital thermo/hyrometer from LLLreptile now if I can't find any means to mount the Lowes one.

On another note, my hygrotherm, which I've got the fogger hooked up to and programmed to maintain 80% humidity, reads at the mo the ambient humidity is within the mid 70s, and has been all day so the fogger's been running all day. There is no restricted ventilation. Day time temperature - 83 degrees. Source - infrared bulb, 50W. The Lowes hygrometer, however, which was placed around the same location as the hygrotherm sensor (2" above the substrate) read closer to 90%. So one of these things is lying to me. I'm thinking of ridding (possibly reselling) the fogger and letting the Hygrotherm instead maintain its other duty of maintaining day and night temperatures, which is personally more important to me than precise humidity levels to be honest, especially in the case of my Pyxie, who can handle a wide range of humidity levels anyway (as long as its not below 60%, or above 90%).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Reliable, mountable hygrometer

I use one of these Exo Terra : Thermo-Hygro / Combination Thermometer and Hygrometer which can be found at Amazon for around $16. The same unit sans the thermometer goes in there for $13. In my roach bins I use cheap analog gauges from Petco. If going that way, look at all in store and avoid ones that read different from the average .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pyxiefan001

Thank you. I just ordered one. Where do you mount the probe for the most accurate reading? 2" above the substrate or in the top corner?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If for a ground frog, 2 in. above substrate is OK.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information