Thread: Injured Frog Rehab

skeeler

Default Injured Frog Rehab

Hello,

I have no experience owning frogs, so I've come here to ask for your help.

This morning I found what I believe to be a pickerel frog on the lawn at my workplace. It had a fingerprint-sized area of skin pealing back from the top of its head and a bloodied or blood-filled left eye. I rinsed off the wound and put the skin flap back in place, but I didn't want to release the little creature, since I think it might be prone to infection and, with its limited vision, it could be an easy target for predators.

I'd like to rehabilitate this little animal and either keep it or release it. Do you have any suggestions for proper rehab?

I am aware that pickeral frogs have slightly toxic skin, and I'll take appropriate precautions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can keep him in a hospital tank until he heals. Get some neosporin WITHOUT pain reliever and apply it daily with a fresh new Qtip. He may need systemic antibiotics if this does not work, but if you rinse it well and get the neo started quickly he might be okay. It sounds like he got bit.

I am not sure about the eye. I would recommend antibiotic eye drops until it heals. Dr. Frye is a vet who often helps out. You can email him a photo of the wound and eye and he will often prescribe the necessary meds and ship them to you. He does not charge an assessment free, only the cost of the meds and shipping.

dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com

http://www.milanareaanimalhospital.com/

The hospital tank should have paper towels as flooring, changed daily. Mist the tank with dechlorinated tap water or spring water twice daily. Provide a water dish and change water daily (dechlorinated or spring water). Have a screen lid and be sure to secure it down. Cover the back and 2 sides of the tank with a background, preferably that looks like leaves or camo to help him feel safe. Provide a cave or hide for him. You can add a soft fake plant to hide under also. Be sure all edges are smooth and that it's pet safe and non-toxic. You can find them in the reptile and aquarium pet sections of any pet store. Keep his tank in a quiet, calm area.

You can feed him small crickets. Be sure to remove any uneaten crickets after he eats so they do not bite at his wounds. You could use cut earth worms too, which would be even better.

Pick up some calcium with vitamin D3 amphibian supplement. Lightly dust his food every other day. Also get an amphibian multivitamin supplement and lightly dust his food one day a week.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah yes, and if you are concerned about his secretions, pick up some non-powdered medical gloves.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

skeeler

Default Re: Injured Frog Rehab

Thank you for your detailed response. Is there a rescue group near DC you would suggest?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    Thank you for your detailed response. Is there a rescue group near DC you would suggest?
    You're welcome. I am not sure of any rescue group there, but you could likely google to find out.

skeeler

Default Re: Injured Frog Rehab

I ended up taking him to the Second Chance Wildlife Center in Gaithersburg. They seemed to have the necessary supplies and equipment.

Thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's great! Thank you for helping him .

Thread Information