Thread: Green frog tadpoles

charlamanda

Default Green frog tadpoles

Hello all, At the end of last summer/early fall I noticed another group of tadpoles in my closed pool. All summer my pool was a nursery for gray tree frog tads, which morphed and went on theyre way, some occupying my old fish tank!
    So when I scooped them out of my pool, right before the water froze solid, and brought them inside to raise and I assumed they were Gray tree frog tads. Well, boy do I have frog egg on my face!LOL They are morphing now and are clearly green frogs, whoopsies!
    ***So here are my questions:
    *Can I give these guys away or is it illegal in Pa like the Gray tree frogs?
    *If it is legal does anyone want any? Free to a good home of course.
    I've had them in my private bathroom for warmth and tranquility, they almost all have back legs and only one has both front legs. I have about 90, so there are plenty to go around if anyone wants several of them.
    My plan is to return them to my pool where I scooped them out of. Once the whether is warmer and there are bugs to eat I will make the transfer. If you want any you'll have time to ponder it because I beleive they still have a couple of months to go before all are completely morphed and many, Iam sure, will remain in my pool even after that.
    So if you are interested send me a private message and I will get back to you soon or at least within a week, Ive been busy. Thanks for any info on the legal aspect.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

charlamanda

Default Re: Green frog tadpoles

Update.. The first to morph died suddenly, I think he didn't have enough rocks to climb out of the water on and possibly drowned. I know froglets of most kinds of frogs tend to drown during this time so I wasn't completely shocked, but was still sad. I added more rocks so there is now plenty of places to perch. I have about 20 now with all legs and resorbing tails sitting out of the water on the rocks. The first cleaning I did I removed all the tads/froglets and rocks to add gravel. I lifted a rock up and 3 tads floated up dead, very sad. It seems these guys like to wedge themselves into nooks and crannies, but tend to pile up and wedge in, in large numbers, so if anyone has this type of set up with tads, make sure they have a way in and out not just one entrance/exit, Unfortunately this is trial and error so hopefully my errors will help others.
    The almost fully morphed froglets are still not eating, but still have small nubs where their tails where, so again I am not surprised. The weather here is still too cold to release them and there are still to few bugs out for them to eat, so for the next few weeks, or more depending on the temp, they will still be inside.
    If anyone wants any or know of anyone who would like some please lets me know. I've rescued these guys from certain death and am aware many will not survive once I let them go, so I am hoping some will get homes.

Leefrogs

What an undertaking!!! That's allot of mouths to feed!! If I didn't live so far away, I'd be tempted.

YOU HAVE NOW EARNED THE TAG
    SUPER FROGGER!!! (to the rescue!!)

charlamanda

LOL I like the term Frog Nanny, but Super Frogger is quite the honor
    Update. As the green froglets finish resorbing their tails, or have small lil nubs left, I've been putting them out into the pool. So far I've released 11 and have just about 78 more to go. I decided to start transferring them since the weather has gotten much warmer and because 2 of the almost completely morphed froglets died. I think once they get to this point of thier developement they must be very aware and are susceptable to stress. It seems like every time I take some out to feed or clean their tank, there has been a death. That's when I decided that I should let the fully, or almost fully, froglets go.
    I check on the released 11 several times a day, since we've had wicked thunder storms for the past several days and because there is an adult male Green frog in the pool with them. I have observed the Greens stalking and eating the Gray Tree froglets as they were sitting on the edge of the pool resorbing their tails last summer and am keenly aware he will most likely do the same with his own kind. I gave him quite a scare the other day when I found him staring down 2 green froglets sitting on the edge of the pool, hopefully these froglets will catch on to his intentions and stay clear.
    The tads are morphing very quickly now so if anyone wants any you may not have as much time as I had predicted earlier.

maklinedinst

all thuo alot of people keep some wildlife of some sort,it is against the law to own or sell native wildlife in PA.

Thread Information