Thread: New member/ ABF Owner

cobra666

Default New member/ ABF Owner

I'm new here and would like to say hi to everyone! This is my first African Bullfrog I've had for a month now. I think it's a male cause it croaks at night and early morning when it's sitting in it's water dish. It's already tripled in size, when I got him he was the size of a quarter. I was wondering when you should go from feeding it everyday to 2-3 times a week? And also (if I can figure out how to post pictures) if it's to fat? He eats crickets and earthworms everyday and hornworms for a treat once a week. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New member/ ABF Owner

Hello and welcome to FF Cobra! If it croaks it a male. What is frogs snout to vent length (SVL)? Once that is clear, we can recommend going into a one day on/one off feeding schedule.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

cobra666

Thanks Carlos. When I measured him four days ago he was 3 inches SVL.

Nationality
    [United States]

I would still feed him daily for another inch or two and then go to every other day. A good signal to stop feeding daily is when you notice a diminished feeding response. Once frog slows growing is time to feed couple times a week. You will probably get different responses to this question since every frog is different. My Stilgar was voracious and ate his fill in a couple minutes and then loose interest in foods. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Now this male has a large head for one so young Lol! Even without hearing a call I would say this is a male.

cobra666

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Now this male has a large head for one so young Lol! Even without hearing a call I would say this is a male.
    He called within the first week I got him and it sounded squeeky. Now his calls are a lot deeper and sound like a cow of in the distance.

cobra666

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    I would still feed him daily for another inch or two and then go to every other day. A good signal to stop feeding daily is when you notice a diminished feeding response. Once frog slows growing is time to feed couple times a week. You will probably get different responses to this question since every frog is different. My Stilgar was voracious and ate his fill in a couple minutes and then loose interest in foods. Good luck!
    Thanks for the advise. His feeding response is crazy, anything that moves around his tank he is on it, including my fingers lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cobra666 View Post
    He called within the first week I got him and it sounded squeeky. Now his calls are a lot deeper and sound like a cow of in the distance.
    Yep very distinct call!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cobra666 View Post
    Thanks for the advise. His feeding response is crazy, anything that moves around his tank he is on it, including my fingers lol.
    Mine goes for the substrate, its tank walls, anything moving outside the tank, and even the water in his dish Lol!

cobra666

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Mine goes for the substrate, its tank walls, anything moving outside the tank, and even the water in his dish Lol!
    LOL it's kinda funny/scary to see them bite at anything like that. I poured water in his dish last night and he went nuts snapping at the water and then under it thinking there was food in there.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i wanna see how it goes for the water lol

Cobra, wooow, you have a very beautiful dude here, 3" and calling, I'm scared to think.... what is it around here with people getting monsters lately

welcome to the forum by the way, Carlos got you covered, i just add - i must say not every day someone new is coming here and saying that s/he feeds his pixie a proper food. just make sure you supplementing it that I'm sure you are. Have fun on FF
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

cobra666

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i wanna see how it goes for the water lol

Cobra, wooow, you have a very beautiful dude here, 3" and calling, I'm scared to think.... what is it around here with people getting monsters lately

welcome to the forum by the way, Carlos got you covered, i just add - i must say not every day someone new is coming here and saying that s/he feeds his pixie a proper food. just make sure you supplementing it that I'm sure you are. Have fun on FF
    Thank you for the nice comment Lija Everything i've learned about how to raise this guy was by reading these threads. The information on here is awesome!

cobra666

He just ate two large night crawlers and eight crickets within five min, and he still wants food. His name is Cujo BTW!

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol!! Yep mine is the same way.

Feed him as much as he wants in 15 minutes each day and you will see him grow before your eyes.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New member/ ABF Owner

Looks awesome! I miss my Rex being that little but now I have a 2 pound monster lol!

I fed every day, as much as he could eat, until he was 4" stv length, now I feed every other day to every 2 days, sometimes he's just not hungry lol
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

Thread Information