Thread: New whites frog owner

bellk

Default New whites frog owner

Hello! I am the happy new wonder of 2 whites tree frogs. They sure are cute litteguys th(or gals). How often should i clean their terrarium and does their shades changing mean that they are sick? They act fine but i read that if they are brown that it means that they are sick. Thanks in advanced! Kam

Paul Rust

Default Re: New whites frog owner

Hi, it is impossible to help you without some pics. Cleaning frequency depends on how your enclosure is built. If you would please post some pics we can give some opinions for you.

bellk

thanks for the quick reply! i recently broke my camera so i can't post real pics.the pic's i have attached are the exact terrarium set up i have and the frog you see (not mine) the color and consistency of his skin is just like one of my frogs. kinda lame, but it's the best i could do. i have had him for a month and a half and when i first got him and for the next 3 weeks he was blue and now he just has a little blue. he is still active and eating though.

also, when do they become less shy? i try to leave them be unless im feeding them, misting, or refreshing their water dishes. sometimes i can tell their heart rate speeds up drastically when i open the doors to their cage.

thanks for your time,

kam
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Kurt

Brown White's areN'T sick. They just change brown against a brown background oe in dim lighting. If he's eating then I wouldn't worry too much.
    Last edited by John; April 5th, 2010 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Kurt meant areN'T not are

bellk

based on my setup that i posted in an earlier post, how can i brighten the place up so he will be blue again?

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Brown White's are sick. They just change brown against a brown background oe in dim lighting. If he's eating then I wouldn't worry too much.
    Kurt, you mean brown white's aren't sick? my guys are brown half the time.

bellk

i assumed he meant that they weren't sick...
    also, they do not like to eat their food when i dust it with the protein powder. any suggestions?

Kurt

D'oh! I meant to write "Brown White's aren't sick" or better yet "A White's treefrog turning brown is not an indication of illness" It been a long day, I am tired and I have having trouble concentrating. So you will have to bear with me.

Kurt

Protein powder?

Paul Rust

I don't dust crickets. I mix it with the cricket food when I make it.

bellk

1.yup, i dust them with rep-cal protein and vit. d powder. is this not right?
    2.my whites are ab one inch long. how old do you think they are?
    3. one of them is super nervous when i pull him out to feed him and then again when i put him back in. i really want to pull them out to feed them because its easier for me to track who is eating what. any advice? i dont want to give the little guy a heart attack.

thanks for all of your advice. i am very new to this and everyone's advice has been very helpful. kam

Kurt

1. I think you mean calcium and vitamin D3. I would also make sure they were getting other vitamins such as A. I have been using ZooMed's Reptivite for that.
    2. Less than a year old. Most likely captive bred as well.
    3. I wouldn't worry to much. Eventually he will calm down.

bellk

thanks! i just ordered the zoo med vitamins that you use. also, i bought a bright colored plant and the brown frog (still un-named) turned back to blue. so cute! so i put the two of them with about 8 crickets and some meal worms and one of them ate 4 crickets and 1 meal worm and the other just ate one cricket. they are one inch long babies- how much should they be eating?

thanks in advance!

Kurt

That sounds about right, but watch them and see how much they will eat. As lonf as they are eating an not losing weight, they should be ok.

Thread Information