Thread: QT Set Up

Scottyhorse

Default QT Set Up

I would like to know how you guys QT your frogs. I know it can be simple, but I would like to know how simple I can go before it could possibly harm my frogs/toads/whatever. I read the sticky on here already, but it helps me to see pictures.. I am better at figuring things out when I can see a picture

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: QT Set Up

Well There is not much to show in pictures at least for me.

I Keep two quarantine tanks ready to go at all times.

One 2g that has a glass lid and I have a small UTH on the side for heating.
    and a 10g with a larger UTH.
    And now that I have an extra zoo med hygrotherm controller I can setup
    either tank in a instant if the need arises.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    Well There is not much to show in pictures at least for me.

I Keep two quarantine tanks ready to go at all times.

One 2g that has a glass lid and I have a small UTH on the side for heating.
    and a 10g with a larger UTH.
    And now that I have an extra zoo med hygrotherm controller I can setup
    either tank in a instant if the need arises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
    I would like to know how you guys QT your frogs. I know it can be simple, but I would like to know how simple I can go before it could possibly harm my frogs/toads/whatever. I read the sticky on here already, but it helps me to see pictures.. I am better at figuring things out when I can see a picture
    Hello,
    Like Louis , I too , keep 2 spare 10 gallon tanks ( cleaned ,covered, and ready to go ) Good for you ---As you know, it's really important to be prepared so you not running around at the last minute. Cheap too. When they are on sale you can pick them up for about ten bucks.

The answer to your question " I know it can be simple, but I would like to know how simple I can go before it could possibly harm my frogs/toads/whatever."

An ill or injured frog needs very close attention until they are well enough to re-join a group or be returned to their usual environment. Their illness or injury is stressful and can suppress their immune system, further complicating their recovery. A common sense approach to each situation ( and species) needs to be planned to provide them with as simple a set up as possible so that in doing so ....ie pooping , eating, soaking etc. can be monitored. It needs be simple enough so that cleaning and treatments are done quickly and efficiently with as little disturbance as possible.The length of time in a hospital setting is simply dictated by their recovery plan. You don't want to put them back until you know , for sure, they will be able to eat and not effect the heath of other tank mates. Hope this helps a little.

Here is a link to a thread with ....... photos.....for you. Lots of photos ! You may have read this?
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

:butterlfly:
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
    Hello Scotty! Well, in reality a QT set-up can be many things. As per the sticky QT thread, sometimes you will quarantine a single frog and others a group raised and bought together. If not going to be mixed with other frogs; you could actually quarantine it/them in a simple set-up like this one for a Pacman frog.

That brings us to your question of simplicity... and simple it should be. However; no matter what, we need to meet the frogs environmental and food requirements, no "if's, and's, or but's." Enclosure does not need to be huge for one small frog, but the temperature/humidity and other parameters should be met.

So for a Pacman I got a 3 side covered enclosure (helps with stress), water dish, coco substrate and temp/humidity controlled environment. For 30 days I get to monitor feeding, collect feces for fecal's, and treat for parasites. If other issues develop during quarantine I can easily vacuum coco out, remove false bottom, sterilize enclosure, add moistened paper towels, and voila... a hospital tank. You could start with paper towels if that is your choice; but myself prefer to wait until see disease symptoms.

An aquatic frog (or one that needs 2/3 water set-ups) should have a cycled tank (well established bio-filter), proper temp and pH, and with hide out as a minimun. Last thing you want is to quarantine a frog in an Ammonia/Nitrite bath ! Bio-media can be cultured in known healthy tanks (matrix sintered glass pebbles or an extra pad in current filters) and transfered to QT filter for instant cycle.

Tree frogs will again benefit from a few synthetic branches, silk/plastic plants (can be sterilized), etc. to feel secure. Stress and quarantine do not mix well!

So if you look at what's been said here, will see a basic commonality among the different discussed set-ups. That is, the care that goes into ensuring the quarantine enclosure itself will provide for the frog's full needs during this important period without adding stress or any conditions that will challenge the frog's immunity system. In other words: "Take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog!"
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Thread Information