Thread: my pet toads are in amplexus, but haven't hibernated, should I worry??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default my pet toads are in amplexus, but haven't hibernated, should I worry??

At the end of last summer I had a yard full of toadlets, which emerged from my pool/frog pond. I took 4 in as pets, 2 males & 2 females, I did not hibernate them and they are just about or are full grown. I've seen the males "mount" the females a few times, but never for any considetable time. Yesterday one pair was in full amplexus, with the male doing a slight bouncing, oddly enough the other male "mounted" the other female, however they did not stay in amplexus.
    So....since I haven't hibernated them do I need to be concerned that they'll be laying eggs?
    Most of the local frogs will not mate or reproduce if they haven't hibernated, but normally I do not see them in amplexus, or not for any length of time. This pair of toads has been in this postion since, at least, 11:00 last night.
    Thanks for any information.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: my pet toads are in amplexus, but haven't hibernated, should I worry??

Put them in a rain chamber and see what happens
    The worst thing that can happen you have some wet toads.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: my pet toads are in amplexus, but haven't hibernated, should I worry??

My pool/frog pond is filled with thousands of toad tadpoles, so I won't be encouraging any eggs laying, but thanks for the response & suggestion : )
    The pair of toads are still in amplexus!!! They must be tired, especially the female carrying the male around
    I'm still wondering if they are capable of laying/fertilizing eggs if they haven't hibernated?
    They are w/c toads I took in right after they morphed last summer. They are about full grown, have been fed regularly & did not hibernate over the winter.
    If they are able to lay/fertilize eggs I want to seperate them asap, since ill have my hands full w the few thousand toad tads in my pool!
    Thanks again for any information.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My toads were brumated and I just made a thread about successfully getting them to breed. If these are last years babies then they will not lay eggs. It takes female toads 3-5 years to fully mature and 2-3 years for males. If fully mature, and the female is not gravid (full of eggs), then there will be no eggs. It is very easy to tell if a female is gravid. She will get HUGE. They also usually go through a color change. They turn dark rust red and the tips of their bumps will be bright red.

Even if your females are not going to lay eggs you should separate the males from the females and probably separate the males from each other (they will try to mount each other or anything they can get their arms around for that matter). They will also fight with each other. It may not seem like they will really hurt each other. But it is stressful and tiring for them to constantly be kicking at each other and making release calls when the other male tries to mount.
    After my female finished laying her eggs the male still pestered her constantly. I pried him off of her and separated him into a temporary 16 quart sterilite with air holes drilled in it. After being in amplexus for nearly 3 days, he was very tired and hungry. He hadn't eaten anything since starting to amplexus.

Yesterday (it's been a week now) he stopped calling, so I introduced him back into the enclosure with the female. He has only tried to amplexus once. But after I removed him from the female he hasn't tried again. So far so good. If he tries any more I will separate him for another week.

Edit to add picture comparison of a female toad when Gravid and Not Gravid.

First picture is a gravid female American toad. Second picture is the same female when she is not gravid.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks so much for that info psychotic, I really appreciate the response.
    Since I detached the pair they haven't tried again, so things are good on that front. I have noticed that my males are much more active than my females. They are stretched up agaist the side of the tank trying to climb out, while the females are just sitting there in the dirt, seemingly content. Is this behavior stressful for them? Could it possibly mean the tank is too small or its too crowded?
    I know I keep asking more questions, but this is my first time raising toads.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That sounds normal. My males are hopping around and climbing the walls. Covering the tank with a blanket or towel may help. If they can't see out they usually don't try so hard to get out. Though they still hop around everywhere and make a mess knocking all the décor over.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks again for the response...yup that sounds like my males..ill try the blanket or put them in an opaque bin w clear top :-)
    I checked out your pic and im really perplexed now cause the pic of the gravid female appears to look like my females!! I just thought they were eating too much, I hope im wrong. Im gonna stop worrying & overthinking this and see what happens. Worse case senerio..they lay eggs. I live in multiple lake community and my house is between the largest lake and the swamps/vernal pools, & of course my pool/frog pond, which is why Im visit by so many frogs, toads, turtles & other wildlife, so I can put the eggs in my pool or the swamps/vernal pools...problem solved!!
    ok so I think ive addressed all my toad issues..thanks for the responses :-) :-) :-)

Thread Information