Thread: Slight pong ??

firefly

Default Slight pong ??

My tank is a 10 gallon with 3 FBTs in 5inch of water, filter, gravel, a couple of live plants, mosses & Elodea. Its been running for almost 2 weeks, I did a 40% water change 2 days ago.

When I lean over it I can detect a slight 'whiff '. Is this normal, or shouldn't there be any smell at all?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Slight pong ??

A whiff of what? Many (fresh water) aquariums I have smell kind of like a green house. Is this what your smelling?

firefly

Haha - I knew you'd ask me that - erm it's a bit hard to describe, It's not disgusting, just a sort of pondy/weedy smell & once away from the tank you can't smell anything, but I (for some reason) assumed it wouldn't smell at all with being filtered.

I'm hoping you'll say - put up with it, it's nothing to worry about ??

As you can see from my Avatar I have quite a few clumps of moss/grasses so maybe they're going rotten.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I was mulling over what "pong" meant. I assumed you were not referring to electronic games from the 1980's... LOL

In any enclosure incorporating natural materials like plants and wood the odor you describe is perfectly normal. In fact it is a good thing if it smells that way. If it verily reeks of sour rot, sewage, or swamp you have a problem.

I myself no longer notice the smells of a multitude of amphibian enclosures. I force my kids to come down and take a sniff for me. (Yes, I finally found a use for kids!) If they sniff and reply EEWWW! I know I need to investigate the situation.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

firefly

Haha thats so funny, it must be just a english expression of old ie:

1. pong - definition of pong by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus ...

pong [pɒŋ] Brit informal. n. a disagreeable or offensive smell; stink. vb. (intr) to give off an unpleasant smell;
    Thats great to know that the smell is harmless. it's not offensive as in pong lol.

My 3 yr old grandaughter comes over tomorrow so maybe I'll put her to the test and see what she says.

Thanks alot

Kurt

So when you Brits hear of Americans playing beer pong, does it conjure up images of Yanks drinking stinky beer?

daziladi

Too funny! Re: (Yes, I finally found a use for kids!)

firefly

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    So when you Brits hear of Americans playing beer pong, does it conjure up images of Yanks drinking stinky beer?
    Lol - that's funny, that game certainly sounds like fun!! Do you play the strip version too??

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post

1. pong - definition of pong by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus ...

pong [pɒŋ] Brit informal. n. a disagreeable or offensive smell; stink. vBulletin. (intr) to give off an unpleasant smell;
    Too awesome, advice, people, frogs and.......language lessons?

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol - that's funny, that game certainly sounds like fun!! Do you play the strip version too??

As an old sailor, I assure you, we Yanks may not hold our beer as well as the rest of the world, but we dominate in all forms of drinking game...except in Ireland...
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

I don't drink.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I don't drink.
    This just makes you even more unstoppable then, Kurt.

Kurt

Thats right, I can't be stopped. Uh, what were we talking about?

Thread Information